Journey to Biking

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Journey to Biking

Post by Cavetroll87 »

good luck for next time mate, doesn't sound the best training school ever, mine was a bit like that, im still not sure how I passed to this day as I didn't feel ready at all.

You will have the street twin in no time im sure mate!
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
LeCreusetFiend
Your Bike: Yamaha R3

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Cheers mate! If I don't crack it next time in a fortnight, I'll re-evaluate, re-group, and have another go! I'm not giving up on this - it's too much fun! Also, I'm actually bored with the 125 now, which does make me laugh, I have to say. It seemed like all the bike I'd ever need for a couple of months! Which is why I'm listening to people telling me I'll get bored of a 300!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

One of the old posters on here went from a 675 to a Street Twin and he loved it.

If you need another practice hour give me a shout. I'll try and stay upright this time.
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Haha! Thanks mate - I'll definitely take you up on that! I'll try not to hold up the traffic in the outside lane this time...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Definitely go to a car park and practice what you can practice, no reason why you can't do that, I personally did this as the school I went too gave me the knowledge of what to do, all i had to do was practice the skill. Good luck for next time

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I did my training with Streetbike in Halesowen. They were very good.

Ok it was a long time ago now, but worth looking at? http://www.streetbike.co.uk/motorcycle- ... -midlands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Wahey! I passed my Mod 1 this morning!

I had another lesson on Sunday. I didn't post about it because I didn't want to tempt fate, but I left feeling a lot more confident on the 650. I had a different instructor this time - a lady who only passed her test herself in 2012, but she's been working like a demon at it ever since. She was absolutely brilliant. She nonchalently rides a ZZR1400 ...... (inlove)

Had a quick 20 minute brush up in the car park before the test, then just went for it. Picked up a minor on the u-turn because my wheel touched the white line, but fortunately it didn't go over. I wasn't sure at the time if I'd gone over or not, but I thought if I looked down to see, I'd definitely screw it up, so just carried on!

Somehow, I absolutely nailed the avoidance. I always had trouble stopping the bike afterwards in the blue cones. My instructor on Sunday said it didn't have to be stopped in the blue cones at the end, but my examiner this morning specifically said, "...stopping between the blue cones...", so I thought I'd better try to! I was told to only do one thing at once, as I was kind of trying to swerve, brake, change down, and hit the speed target all at once! I did one thing at a time, and somehow the clouds parted, there was angelic music and it all came together like in a movie. It was the smoothest I've ever done it, even though I went in a bit hot - recorded speed of 60kph. Not sure if I could repeat it that well!

Had a bit of a wobble when I stopped back in the parking bay after the test. Think I must have looked down at the kerb. Fortunately, the examiner was closing the gate to the pad at the time, so didn't notice...

Anyway... THANK GOD THAT'S OVER! Onwards to Mod 2! (y)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Congrats. I'm pleased to read it went well.

One of our old posters went from pass to IAM to instructor in a matter of months. She really got the bug.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Congrats mate, well done.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Cheers guys!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Well in very pleased for ya

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Well in Bud, proper job!
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Congrats mate! Onwards and upwards!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Had an all-day lesson yesterday, and took my Mod 2 this morning ..... PASSED! Woop! Much ululating and gyrating.

That was the first time I've ever ridden in the rain, which my instructor reckoned made the conditions fall into my current slightly cautious riding style well. Spent all of yesterday going over approaches to junctions and not stopping unless necessary. Picked up one minor on the test today for ... hesitancy at a roundabout! I'll take that all day long, to be honest, because I'd have given myself about three minors for that.

At one stage, I was convinced it was a 40 zone and was busying along at about 37 before realising and rolling off the throttle. Spent the rest of the test convinced I'd failed for excessive speed.

Of *course* a van driver "helpfully" flashed me to turn right in front of him, but the examiner seemed happy with my nod of recognition to the driver, followed by a good scan around, shoulder check and turning.

Can't believe it, to be honest! I never thought I'd get this cracked. I'm absolutely over the moon!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Well done mate!!! Welcome to the adult table ;)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

LeCreusetFiend wrote:Had an all-day lesson yesterday, and took my Mod 2 this morning ..... PASSED! Woop! Much ululating and gyrating.

That was the first time I've ever ridden in the rain, which my instructor reckoned made the conditions fall into my current slightly cautious riding style well. Spent all of yesterday going over approaches to junctions and not stopping unless necessary. Picked up one minor on the test today for ... hesitancy at a roundabout! I'll take that all day long, to be honest, because I'd have given myself about three minors for that.

At one stage, I was convinced it was a 40 zone and was busying along at about 37 before realising and rolling off the throttle. Spent the rest of the test convinced I'd failed for excessive speed.

Of *course* a van driver "helpfully" flashed me to turn right in front of him, but the examiner seemed happy with my nod of recognition to the driver, followed by a good scan around, shoulder check and turning.

Can't believe it, to be honest! I never thought I'd get this cracked. I'm absolutely over the moon!
Well done fella. Now the real learning begins...... (party)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Congratulations. I am sure that your confidence will continue to build which will result in a more flowing ride. It takes a while to get used to small space we take up on the roads and the speed of the bikes we used compared to cars. You'll find yourself switching from thinking like a driver to thinking like a biker.

Now get out there and buy that bike.
LeCreusetFiend

Post by LeCreusetFiend »

Thanks guys!

I hope you won't all look down on me too much if I get myself that R3 just for a year while I find my biking feet...
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

LeCreusetFiend wrote:Thanks guys!

I hope you won't all look down on me too much if I get myself that R3 just for a year while I find my biking feet...
We'd respect you more frankly than if you went and bought a 200hp missile. R3 would be perfect to get your biking mojo up higher and cornering well.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

A Ninja H2 is what you really want to get.