Page 1 of 2

Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:17
by Kwacky
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44682669

This opens up a new can of worms. I suspect it'll get abused by car drivers who don't like cyclists riding two abreast and can't stand to see motorbikes filtering.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:22
by Cavetroll87
saw you tweet about this, seems insane to me, the police letting civvies do their job, lazy and just going to cause so many issues as you say with people who may disagree with what they see but not fully understand the rules of the road themselves

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:22
by Monty
Time to get those Italian plates

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:24
by C00kiemonster
Monty wrote:Time to get those Italian plates


Or french ones :P

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 09:26
by C00kiemonster
I've got some old footage of Kwacky riding, I'll do a bit of photoshop on the dates and get it uploaded :D

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 10:34
by Kwacky
I might post some IoM footage from one of our trips and suggest we're all speeding and need to be dealt with.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 10:43
by duke63
Anything to save money.

We need to be more like Mexico and get shot of the scum running this country whilst there is still something left.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 10:51
by T.C.
As I said on Twitter, it opens up a whole can of worms.

Firstly those who are anti biker but more worryingly it is so subjective as one persons idea of dangerous or careless driving is going to be different ot anothers, most non riding people cannot even estimate a speed of a bike accurately even at 30MPH, and the Police don't have much of a clue or any real interest themselves these days as most don't like dealing with traffic matters.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:22
by duke63
T.C. wrote:As I said on Twitter, it opens up a whole can of worms.

Firstly those who are anti biker but more worryingly it is so subjective as one persons idea of dangerous or careless driving is going to be different ot anothers, most non riding people cannot even estimate a speed of a bike accurately even at 30MPH, and the Police don't have much of a clue or any real interest themselves these days as most don't like dealing with traffic matters.


So is the whole thing a waste of time? I can understand it could be useful in case of an accident investigation but then why would you want to post it in a public arena?

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:34
by T.C.
duke63 wrote:
So is the whole thing a waste of time? I can understand it could be useful in case of an accident investigation but then why would you want to post it in a public arena?


It is only my personal opinion for what its worth, but Yes I do think it is a waste of time and policing on the cheap.

The number of times I have been out with someone and they have said "Did you see that awfull riding or driving?" and the reality was that there was nothing wrong or untowards.

Everyone thinks they are an expert when it comes to driving, riding and traffic law, but the reality is that experise and reality are poles apart and I can see a lot of vindictive tapes being submitted and whilst there will be the odd one or two that warrant prosecution, the majority are going to be consigned to the bin whilst increasing the number of people questioning why no further action was taken or extra staff being taken on just to look at video footage.

Extra proper;y trained professional traffic cops on the road is in my opinion the only real solution.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 11:36
by Monty
duke63 wrote:Anything to save money.

We need to be more like Mexico and get shot of the scum running this country whilst there is still something left.


YES!

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 12:48
by kiwikrasher
Well there goes my riding trip plans to the UK! (lol)

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 14:04
by D41
DIY policing??

This will be good...

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 14:09
by D6Nutz
On the other side of the coin, there could be positive outcomes.

Over the weekend I witnessed a 20 something idiot in a very expensive merc convertible deciding that he was to important to sit in the traffic with everyone else and was following an ambulance that was running blues.

Then there where at least two driving down the hard shoulder in traffic.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 14:28
by Jack
D6Nutz wrote:On the other side of the coin, there could be positive outcomes.

Over the weekend I witnessed a 20 something idiot in a very expensive merc convertible deciding that he was to important to sit in the traffic with everyone else and was following an ambulance that was running blues.



I don't think that is an offence unless he was speeding or contravening the Road Traffic Act in some other way .

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 15:19
by T.C.
Jack wrote:I don't think that is an offence unless he was speeding or contravening the Road Traffic Act in some other way .


No, no offence. Maybe questionable morals, but no breach of any legislation unless excess speed or using the hard shoulder was involved.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 15:43
by Jack
T.C. wrote:
Jack wrote:I don't think that is an offence unless he was speeding or contravening the Road Traffic Act in some other way .


No, no offence. Maybe questionable morals, but no breach of any legislation unless excess speed or using the hard shoulder was involved.


If it was an offence there would be no despatch riders left in London .
I do agree in D6Nutz's situation to follow the ambulance was a dick move .
I also wonder if D6Nutz would have taken such notice if it was a bike following the ambulance .
Already we have evidence that people ( even reasonable people like D6Nutz ) would be sending footage that is useless and will do nothing but waste valuable police time .

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 20:28
by D6Nutz
I resent being called reasonable, I fecking far from reasonable...


;) ;)

I was merely highlighting a couple of instances in a recent journey where there would have been no police coverage due to the traffic, and these offenders of twatish/illegal driving child have been reported.

I can only assume that their behavior was because they thought there was no chance of getting caught (we all do it from time to time to varying levels) if the thought they may get reported by dash cam would their behavior been the same?

I also don't defend the promotion of dash cams over real police.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 20:48
by duke63
Don't the overhead cameras on motorways now catch people using lanes they should not? I'm sure I read recently that driving under a Red Cross on the overhead cameras will now trigger the camera.

Re: Snitches get stitches

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 08:54
by Kwacky
They're supposed to. If they're switched on