Do you know someone who can help?

The news and your views about biking
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Do you know someone who can help?

Post by T.C. »

I have been speaking to a lady called Amy at the BBC today.

They are going to be doing a piece in the near future about motorcyclists not wearing the appropriate riding equipment and will be accompanying the Police who will be pulling riders to advise them of the importance of wearing the right kit.

What she says is

"We are running a light piece where we will be going out with police who will be pulling people over to advise them to wear appropriate clothing.

We are not looking for an expert but someone who has had an injury due to wearing inappropriate clothing and wants to raise awareness so that people who wear shorts and t-shirts etc. whilst biking in the summer think twice."

In short she is looking for people who have suffered an injury on the bike which can be attributed to not wearing the proper kit and would be prepared to speak to the BBC and possibly be filmed and interviewed.

Do you know anyone who fits the bill and would be prepared to have a chat?

I can provide the contact details should someone come forward.

Oh, and this thread is not intended to start the debate of ATGATT, I think we al know where we stand on this one.......
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Do you know someone who can help?

Post by duke63 »

Unfortunately don’t know anyone but can advise on kit that has saved me from more serious injury.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Likewise. I don't think anyone on here rides in anything but proper gear.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I don't feel it's news worthy but this is my 'non-protective clothing incident'.

I had an accident when I was 17 (and of course I knew better than those 'boring people' who wear all the gear) that saw me tear a tendon in my knee and on crutches for a number of weeks. Only piece of protective clothing I wasn't wearing was trousers; I was wearing a pair of tracksuit bottoms.

They thought I'd broken my ankle too because of how far round my foot was but the boots did a good job and my ankle was completely fine.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:Likewise. I don't think anyone on here rides in anything but proper gear.
I might occasionally go for armoured kevlar jeans rather than full leathers but thats the minimum, and boots wise I sometimes wear a pair of TCX casual style boots rather than full on storm trooper boots, from a quick glance it would look like im just in jeans and trainers, and I know its not as protective as my leathers and full boots, but thats the risk I take, normally, on days when I ride into the office and know I wont need to chage into a suit so can stay in casual gear all day
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

duke63 wrote:Unfortunately don’t know anyone but can advise on kit that has saved me from more serious injury.
Likewise, having done case studies of over 1,000 crashes just in respect of the kit and how it protects (or doesn't protect) in the case of a crash, and my own injury and lifetime disability was partly down to the kit I was wearing

This is not about the kit that has saved or reduced the injury, they want particularly cases where kit was not being worm, but thanks for the offer. (y)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Likewise. I don't think anyone on here rides in anything but proper gear.
Flip flops are not unusual in the summer for some in Poitiers :D

In France they have only just made gloves on Motorcycles compulsory (February i think) to try and force people to at least use something.

I've always tried to ride in proper gear and as much as i could afford. Its worth learning from others too. I've worn a chest protector ever since Duke had an accident and said his ribs would have been saved by one. Now i dont notice i have it on.

My AStars boots have saved me ripping off my foot at Oulton i reckon.
Hondaboy63
Your Bike: S1000rr x 2.

Post by Hondaboy63 »

I can see the logic of making us aware, to wearing the correct clothing whilst out riding.
My thoughts are, riders going out on a rideout will wear the appropriate clothing, the complacency arrives when they have a 15min journey and think they will be OK.
Life changing injuries are not all speed related, my friend navigated a roundabout roughly 20mph and was side impacted, he nearly lost his leg, but now walks with a limp. casual clothes wear worn.
Could protective/appropriate clothing minimum his injuries, i don't know.
Its like the introduction of wearing crash helmets in the 70s, it reduced fatalities. Wearing the correct gear will reduce the injuries.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Quite a few dickheads at Quatt yesterday. A guy on a Harley in shorts and t-shirt, pillions in leggings and trainers.

F***ing leggings!!!

One can only imagine that if they are still riding like that then they haven't suffered an injury.