Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: IAM

Post by Kwacky »

I only need to go up to 70 mph
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yes...Gearing Commander is "theoretically correct"....in practice it's off by quite a bit
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Monty wrote:Your bike doesn't do 176mph, you'd need at least 200bhp for that.
I'm not THAT obese! ;(

If a Fireblade with 160bhp at the wheel can do an indicated 186 (300km/h) I definitely wouldn't need 200bhp for 176mph. The fact it took most of the 1000cc bikes the entire Catalunya straight to overtake me says something

Before I changed the gearing I was clocked at 172mph by a mate with an R1. On another occasion with this same bike I got in his slipstream and he couldn't pull away from me - that was fun (angel)

Anyways.. I digress, I always ride to the IAM standard.......... (wasntme)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

T.C. wrote:Many years ago, I was examining the chief observer of the local IAM group but for the RoSPA test (This is in the days before the IAM First and Masters) and hos attitude was that being the chief poo bah for the local IAM group, taking the test and being awarded a Gold would be a formality :x I kept my mouth shut.

This was in the days before we used radio links, although to be fair, I still rarely use a radio now.

Anyway, I gave him the briefing, and back in those days we would allow a degree of latitude in GLF speed limits,but posted 30, 40's and 50's had to be complied with.

Anyway, I said to him ride as you have been trained and to the standard you would expect from your members/associates but enjoy the ride.

So off we set, and the first couple of miles were fine as we were in a 30 limit. Got onto the open road and the pace picked up. It was a spirited brisk but safe ride so no major issues, but when we came to the first 30, I backed off but Mr candidate just carried on saling through the limit at 70+

OK thinks I, maybe it was a slight error of judgement, so although I would not be giving him a gold he could still get a silver or bronze.

As I left the posted imited Mr chief Poo bah had slowed down and so I thought "OK, he has realised the error of his ways".....

So off we set again. Next 30 limit though, exactly the same, he sails through at 70+

So when it happened for the 3rd time, I just pulled over and stopped and waited for chummie to return to see what had happened, which he duly did.

When I asked him about ignoring the 30 limits, his attitude was that limits were there for untrained riders and someone of his standards was not required to observe posted limits (shocked)

Suffice to say, not only did he fail to get either gold or silver, I did not give him hs bronze either as I failed him on the spot.

Did he throw his toys out f the pram or what? How dare I fail him for doing every other advanced instructor did, who was I to tell him that I was not of the required standard and, and and............ Boy, did he go on before he stormed off at high speed and in a real huff.

About 10 days later I had to attend a crash and guess who was involved, and guess who was at fault?

My opening line was "Hello, remember me?" His face was a picture especially whenI stuck him on for dangerous and careless driving. He was convicted of careless.

Local IAM group did not reatin his services for very much longer either.

Going back to consistency with examiners is that we no longer have the class 1 and class 2 qualification, is is just advanced, it is no longer an intense 7 - 8 weeks, most are lucky to get a 2 week course and may don't forces don't do a course at all.

There is an universal standard which is acceptd and adopted by all examiners but many choose to ignore it because they don't understand Roadcraft properly themselves.
This actually shocks me. Just wow. He should of known better. 30s and 40s should be obeyed...50s are just a waste of colour on the sign!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

So I had my first observed run today.

I met John and we had a chat. He told me as it was the first run he didn't want to overload me with information and things I needed to change, so it would be a short run on a mix of roads then a debrief, which should last about an hour in total.

He was to follow, I had to look out for his indication. If there was something he needed to address while we're out he would overtake me and I would follow to a safe place to pull over. Otherwise everthing would be discussed when we got back. He told me the rought route so I knew where I was going.

Speed limits were to be stuck to, even on nationals. His reasoning in is that you have to stick to them on your test, so there's no point doing something different on your observed runs.

We set off from the car park and already I've had to sound my horn on a white van twat who wanted to reverse into me.

It was a good mix of roads. Feck me does 30mph feel slow.

We were out for about 40 minutes when he took me down a road we had already been on. I'm starting to panic that I've done something wrong and he wants to see if I repeat it. As we near the roundabout he overtakes me and gives the "follow me" signal. Balls. Over the roundabout and we pull in.

"You happy to stay out for a bit?" he asks. Phew. Fast A roads and tight country roads littered with mud, horses and cyclists. I reckon we were out for about 2 1/4 hours.

The debriefing went well. He thanked me for the ride out and told me it was like being out with the full IAM members. He was enjoying himself which is why he wanted to stay out. I'm ready for my test in about a month. I could pass it now. About two thirds of the scores were 1st grade.

Things to work on:
Signalling. I indicate too much. I need to forget I'm being followed so only indicate if it's needed.

Roundabouts. Take the straightest line if it's safe to do so. I must admit I do that when there's no one around. Today I was being a bit cautious.

Acceleration awareness. I was braking for changes down in speed limits, decelerating is fine

So overall it was very promising.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Do they seem like a good bunch? I have looked at the one local to me but a couple of people have told me they were twats.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Do they seem like a good bunch? I have looked at the one local to me but a couple of people have told me they were twats.
:D
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

duke63 wrote:Do they seem like a good bunch? I have looked at the one local to me but a couple of people have told me they were twats.
They were until I joined ;)

BAM is the biggest group so you get a mix of people. They all hate POLITE jackets so that's a bonus.

You can do as many ride outs with them as you like, or none at all. If you wanted you could pass the IAM and never be seen again.

I've only met friendly helpful people so far.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

A mate told me the one local to me teaches you all the proper stuff but when he went on a short Euro weekend break with them they rode like complete dicks being completely inconsiderate to other road users.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My observer told me today that you're given 2 warnings then you're out if you ride like a tool
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky going back to your run. Im glad for ya, although with your level of experience im not too surprised that the observer enjoyed himself . They always say keep tye examiner happy ans enjoyong himself then you will do well. The bits youve highlighted arent major thibgs at all, pleased for ya mate

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Rossgo
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:My observer told me today that you're given 2 warnings then you're out if you ride like StM
:? Hmmmm
Just happened to mention that? - or was it more of an "unofficial verbal". ;)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Another ride today. Good mix of roads but sticking to the speed limit all the time is taxing on the concentration. Seeing the national speed limit sign and wanting to hammer it is far too tempting.

I'm fine on roundabouts now but I need to pay attention to the speed signs on the exit as I'm sometimes missing them and then doing a speed I think I should be doing.

Next week is slow speed riding and being tested on the questions they might ask.

Following week is an assessment with a national assessor then I should be going in for my test .

Time to do some revision
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Awesome mate, you eill defo ebjoy the dry run test (cant think what the name of it is now!!) But thats a very good day, usually on roads you dont know in an area thats a further than your normal areas with a guy who doesnt know you. Keep it safe and fun and you will be 1s and 2s throughout prob more 1s than 2s though lol

T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Rossgo wrote:Awesome mate, you eill defo ebjoy the dry run test (cant think what the name of it is now!!)
Check run or cross check ;)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

T.C. wrote:
Rossgo wrote:Awesome mate, you eill defo ebjoy the dry run test (cant think what the name of it is now!!)
Check run or cross check ;)
Cross check, cheers TC Image

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Just thinking Kwacky. IAM have different courses available for you, have you ever thiught about becoming a IAM run leader? You do it for Tankslap and lets be honest you know some cracking roads and use the second man drop of system already i think the IAM would defo benefit from having your knowledge.

Many in the future look at becoming an observer too when you get nore time on your hands eg kids at uni or whatever?

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Good idea about the run leader. I'll look into it once I've passed.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Defo worth it mate. You would be good at it, head diwn to Lucy's or something, they wokld DEFO like that!