Wet weather KIt

The news and your views about biking
fidget
Your Bike: Ktm 990 superduke R and zx10r

Wet weather KIt

Post by fidget »

Well it would seem my waterproof kit no longer is ;(

I've been using Bering kit for a good 15 years now and it's been great. Warm, dry and uncumbersome. I do however appreciate that technology and materials have changed so was wondering what you folks are using and would and wouldn't recommend?
Never rub another mans rhubarb.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Wet weather KIt

Post by Kwacky »

What are you going to use it for, how often and what budget?

There's various levels of waterproof in my experience. Be careful when buying trousers. Some of the waterproof ones aren't, they just have a waterproof lining so the outer layer gets soaked.

Alpinestar stuff is waterproof but I've had issues with zips. However I do about 10,000 miles a year in my gear and I wear it all year round

I was disappointed with Rukka. Klim is very high quality.
fidget

Post by fidget »

it'll be used from Oct-Feb/March just for fun, not commuting etc. Still be 2-3000 miles i reckon.

Budget, i reckon 400-500 for a set
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Hein Gericke had a sale on winter textiles last week. Might still be on.
fidget

Post by fidget »

cheers, never heard a lot of good reports on their stuff, mainly was ok for a winter.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

HG stuff is pretty good but it's not the best at keeping the water out. It does last for years though. Most people wash it in waterproofing treatment but that means you end up with a sweaty jacket. Goretex is king.

Held and IXS are good brands but they're not cheap. I've heard mixed reports about RST stuff.

This Klim jacket is at the upper end of your budget but it's going cheap as it's been replaced by updated jackets. If FC Moto haven't got your size have a look on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klim-Gore-Te ... SwUd9aV0oP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en ... iewProduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:What are you going to use it for, how often and what budget?

There's various levels of waterproof in my experience. Be careful when buying trousers. Some of the waterproof ones aren't, they just have a waterproof lining so the outer layer gets soaked.

Alpinestar stuff is waterproof but I've had issues with zips. However I do about 10,000 miles a year in my gear and I wear it all year round

I was disappointed with Rukka. Klim is very high quality.
+1 I'm disappointed with rukka too. I've tried their entry level right up to the premier range.

So far on this premier kit.. replaced cuff zips. Twice.. main zipper once... sent back twice due leaks..

Is great having a 5 year warranty but for the money is rather get cheaper and get brand new more often.. or something more reliable.

The trousers also leaked via zip. And stitching. Sent back twice..

169 quid Apollo gloves.. liner came out when I got drenched in the alps.. could not get hands back in.. had to cut the goretwx liner off.. supposed to be laminated to it.. leaving me stuck with cold hands.

Never again.. all in all over sent every item back multiple times..

Told the store I'm trying Klim next time.. absolutely sick of rukka.. these should last given they cost a small mortgage. I could have bought a decent used bike for the cost of jacket and trousers.

Enough said..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

I've tried lots of kit over the years, cheap and expensive. But I've yet to find anything that works better than a decent waterproof over suit worn over anything. Hot or cold riding gear.

My current one is Alpine stars, it's breathable and packs down small enough to fit in a bum bag or under the passenger seat.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I've only tried cheaper stuff which works for a while then needs to be replaced but in my opinion that's fine for what I use it for.

Keep this thread updated on what you decide and if the gear you pick up works well!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk