Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Just one bike

Post by Kwacky »

When you get your memory back and remember how to get to the bar :D
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Kwacky wrote:When you get your memory back and remember how to get to the bar :D
Never going to happen :)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Not that I'm bored at work or anything, but PCP on a brand new 765RS is just £101.56 a month for 2 years or £150 a month over 3 years for the new speed triple.

Insurance for the 765 is £250 at my new address.

/wanders over to the BMW Finance page.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

£129.62 for a S1000R over 2 years
£130.56 for an R1200RS

No wonder so many people are taking up these finance deals.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in a PCP arrangement are you not just paying the depreciation over that 2 or 3 year period ?
If you can get a Desmosedici on a PCP deal then it is highly likely that it will maintain its value or even appreciate in value over the 2 or 3 year period , would that mean you could ride it around for 3 years for free ?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If you find Jack's deal sign me up Kwacky (y)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:£129.62 for a S1000R over 2 years
£130.56 for an R1200RS

No wonder so many people are taking up these finance deals.
Less than £30 a week for a S1000R? Blimey thats good.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Jack wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but in a PCP arrangement are you not just paying the depreciation over that 2 or 3 year period ?
If you can get a Desmosedici on a PCP deal then it is highly likely that it will maintain its value or even appreciate in value over the 2 or 3 year period , would that mean you could ride it around for 3 years for free ?

Not according to Ducati's website. Their PCP payments are pretty high for all models. I had a look at the Hyper and it was close to £170 a month.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Kwacky wrote:
Jack wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but in a PCP arrangement are you not just paying the depreciation over that 2 or 3 year period ?

Not according to Ducati's website. Their PCP payments are pretty high for all models. I had a look at the Hyper and it was close to £170 a month.
Bugger , thought I'd found a loophole/exploit .
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

PCP is no more of a risk than any other purchase as long as you are aware of what you are doing.

Take my last car. Audi A4 Avant 2.0 diesel.

When I took the PCP deal in they set a guaranteed minimum value for the end of the agreement. The theory is you have a small deposit toward the next car.

The VW diesel scandal and the fact the diesel power is no longer the future meant that car was actually worth £4K less than the GFMV at the end. However the agreement is such that I can hand the car back with no further payment due.

Had I paid cash for that car then I would have lost the £4K. As it was VW/Audi finance lost £4K instead.

There is no way of knowing what the future holds, even in the short term and especially on motor vehicles. I believe Norway are proposing that the only vehicles to be sold there from 2025 must be zero emissions. If the rest of Europe follows suit, the market in petrol cars will collapse too.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I like the idea of having a bike I'm paying very little for that I can own for a couple of years and hand back at the end of the agreement.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Much depends on how easy the manufacturer can sell the vehicle without finance. In terms of new vehicles I suspect it is very little.

A quick google search reckons 90% of all new vehicles registered are sold on finance.

The big issue with a bike on PCP is that it would be a brave owner to take it on a trackday.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I've always bought everything i own, including my current cars and bike, however with the changes to diesel / petrol legislation and whatnot i'm seriously considering PCP for my next car.

I do tend to keep the stuff i buy for a while (5+ years) so buying can sometimes be better - used cars are a bargain in the UK currently so am keeping my options open.

Is there a deposit on those bikes plus the monthly? Whats the true cost over 2 or 3 years?
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I believe that you take the value of the vehicle (20k) and pay a 10% deposit (2k) , the finance company give you a guaranteed minimum final value (15k)
you pay the difference (3k) plus interest leaving a final payment ( if you want to buy the vehicle ) or you can walk away owning nothing and owing nothing or if there is a positive balance (the vehicle is worth more than the GMFV) you can use that as a deposit against a new vehicle .

I suspect that the GMFV is kept low so that a positive balance is the norm at the end of the contract thereby encouraging you to buy a new vehicle again .
Blade

Post by Blade »

Extremely rare, almost none exsistent imo, it's always cheaper to not take finance.

Even 0% finance is not free there is no such thing.

The dealer pays your interest instead of giving you a cash discount.

Call me old skool, but save up and and buy what you've earned (y)

You only get credit once in your live, after that you stuck on the merry go round of paying more for your goods than they cost (finance)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

All of my bikes I've paid for so far. But if I keep the Versys then I'm back to getting a second bike and it'll be the second bike I'll look to change on a regular basis. A brand new bike and I'm paying for the depreciation. Fulll warranty, no issues, hand it back.

I'm not getting any younger and there are still loads of bikes I would love to own. One mule for work, one plaything.

It's not like I can't afford to buy a second bike, I've just sold one I paid cash for so there's money kicking about. I don't agree that if I take a bike on a PCP deal I'll be stuck on a merry go round. The only thing I don't own outright is my house but I own 98% of the current one.

It's an option. That's all.

PS My credit card is 0% on purchases so there are ways to to get what you want on a 0% deal
Blade

Post by Blade »

Your paying the interest on the depreciation.

Buy cash, Rape them for a discount that nearly bankrupts them and sell on for over book price.....works every time (lol)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I guarantee you wont buy a brand new car cheaper by paying cash rather than having finance.

The margins are so small now anything above 10% discount and its being sold at a loss and if that's the case they don't want it on the forecourt anyway.

My last two Audis cost me about £4k per annum. And i keep them for about 3 years. I could not buy a car for £12k with anything like the comfort i have now and it still be worth much after I have put another 50,000 miles on it in three years. Plus if anything goes wrong with my car, it costs me nothing and they will provide a courtesy car so i don't lose any work time. That would not be true if it was a £12k s/h car. I appreciate the catch is that i have to do it all again in 3 years but there is an option to buy at the end of it if i so wish and i know what that figure is now.

You pays your money and makes your choice but without PCP there would be hardly any new cars or bikes being built now.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I paid 20600 cash for my wifes car brand new, including on the road charges and even got 5 years servicing, a roof rack and boot liner thrown in the deal. The list price was 33260 and they gave me 1500 over book on my part ex. They genuinely hated me when I left and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not there to make friends I'm there to buy goods at the price I set and they are stupid enough to accept. If they don't accept, I find some one who will. Been doing it 30 years guys your not going to tell me finance is cheaper than a haggled deal.

You need to be more ambitious boys. The deals aren't advertised you have to find them and negotiate them yourself.

No way on this earth that a finance deal is going to beat my deal and that is a gold plated guarantee.