Triumph tiger 800 ?

The news and your views about biking
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Triumph tiger 800 ?

Post by Scuff »

Anybody got one , had one or ridden one and got an opinion ?

It's on my list of maybe's to replace the big Ktm and is more in my price range than a BMW GS/GS-A which are strong money to buy ... especially if you want something with sensible mileage (under 30k )
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Re: Triumph tiger 800 ?

Post by Monty »

Ricardo is your man for that, he does about 100k a year on his!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Frankie had one for a couple of years and he loved it.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Frankie or R1ckster are the people to talk to.

I've ridden a couple of the recent Tiger 800s and loved them. Great handling and nice little engine. I almost bought one a few years back but the build quality wasn't the greatest - the demo model hadn't been looked after and so some of the screws and fasteners looked a little worse for wear. I am told that issue has been addressed. I reckon some ACF50 would be the answer.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Monty wrote:Ricardo is your man for that, he does about 100k a year on his!
Hahaha how's it going matey.. and yep still got her.. just about..

Ok.. I have a tiger 800xc 2012. Bough used with 7k on it back in Dec 14. So in 3 years 1 month now has 80,000.

To sum up to give an idea of use. 2000 a month started between commute to central London daily.. between London and stoke on motorways every weekend and back. The rest mixed in with Sunday blasts.. and couple hundred ours off roading.. then nasty stuff..where it gets dropped about 12 times per trail.. and dragged out.

All weather 365 snow ice rain and whatever.. kept outside not garaged. And looks like an Indian farmers haybail Bycicle loaded up on a Friday night.

So far.. replaced rear suspension.. at 67,000. Replaced engine at 65,000. Replaced heated grips about 5 times.. these are shit quality but great when they work.. only to about 2 deg c.. and less you need heated gloves imo.

Replaced clutch input shaft/return spring 3 times.. not sure if they accepted this poor fault. But is a know issue on earlier. However most people who only use occasionally their bike would never experience this.

Led indicators are shit quality.. look great for a while.. but corrode when water gets under laquer then all goes to pants.. they always work but aesthetic looks shit.

Spot lights always seem to be changing bulbs.. maybe I need try better quality bulbs. However as with the led indicators the longevity of the finish of the spot lights are poor. Begin to cloud internally and flake on the black outer. Again maybe older models. Mine are not the newer LED types.

Mileage on full 19l will get me about 180 miles at a push. Shows about 230 on the range but you'd need ride like a granny to get anywhere near that.

All this aside.. I'm looking for a new bike too and funny as it sounds.. I'm still considering another XC or XCA as they have now.. either that or Honda AT or tiger 1200.. but would keep my 800 for fun.

Switching off ABS/TC off-road is a ball ache and process resets every time you turn engine off. But is a small moan given most is road.

Hop that helps.

Ps the engine replacement at 65k was good going.. considering it lives on the limiter and Occasionally has oil changed.. and never had a valve service.. it did rather well for a trumpet engine I think.
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Post by Scuff »

Thanks folks and R1ckster your a star (y)

The XC is the one I've been looking at as it does fit me a little better even though there's not much difference between it and the XR from what I've read , the small differences seem to be enough.

How does the engine fair , enough torque to be slightly lazy on the gear change or is it a bit buzzy ? ... I'm not expecting 1000cc twin type torque but something where you don't have to dance on the gear lever would be good as it's intended use is relaxed touring.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Scuff wrote:Thanks folks and R1ckster your a star (y)

The XC is the one I've been looking at as it does fit me a little better even though there's not much difference between it and the XR from what I've read , the small differences seem to be enough.

How does the engine fair , enough torque to be slightly lazy on the gear change or is it a bit buzzy ? ... I'm not expecting 1000cc twin type torque but something where you don't have to dance on the gear lever would be good as it's intended use is relaxed touring.
Hi scuff..

Coming from a bigbang R1 it was a transition and know What you mean.. it will never be as lazy but the engine is sweet. It's my favourite bike ever. Does everything. Gears are reasonably strong quite torquey for an 800. But don't expect 1000cc ktm similarity. Happily cruise at 95.. anything more is not great for the engine for longer periods. I've hit 124 on it but literally for a brief moment as too wobbly. And needle on the limit. 100 mph is too high up the rev meter to sit at in my opinion. 95 you can get away with..

It's very nippy in 1st off the mark if you hold it open.. if i had to summarise.. it's more or a screamer than a thumper in torque. But it holds it well enough. I've no regrets moving from an r1

On the subject of servicing. If you home service. It's a really PIA getting to the sparks plugs and only slightly less than a PIA getting to the air filter.. to remove the tank.. There's the beak to remove.. the Spot lights.. two side fairing panels each side.. bolts on the sides and up by front of the rad.. inner faring aroubd the key..that's before you get to take off the tank. Put back in wrong order and you take all off again. Unless you leave bits off. Do it a few times though and it's alright.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I had my Tiger 800 XC from new when they first came out, the bike was awesome, only got rid as I needed funds at the time, otherwise I would still have it. A great all round machine, my only gripe was the wheels on mine were going rusty under the black paint, which was popping the paint, and the pain in the back side it was to clean the spokes ha ha. Other than that the bike had done some serious miles without a cough... Took me all the way down to Croatia and back without any moans... did not get left behind on Tankslap ride outs, even on the IOM over the mountain the guys could not shake the Tiger growling behind and at times in front of them ;) .

I even done the wheelie school on it, well that was a big mistake, talk about bad habits. Even did Prescott hill climb on her twice... oh man I am missing it now......

Prescott Hill climb.... :D

Anyway, memory lane aside, a cracking bit of kit, which I would recommend (y)