'dash cam' for motorbikes

The news and your views about biking
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

'dash cam' for motorbikes

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

i'm sure that this subject has appeared before, however i'd be grateful for advce

can anybody recemmend a camera at modest price that they are pleased with please?

is it best to helmet mount or fix to the bike and do i have to by a memory card separately?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: 'dash cam' for motorbikes

Post by StMarks »

sir thomas blanchard wrote:i'm sure that this subject has appeared before, however i'd be grateful for advice

can anybody recommend a camera at modest price that they are pleased with please?

is it best to helmet mount or fix to the bike and do i have to by a memory card separately?
I'm not going to be much help, because although I have dashcams in both our cages I've never had one on a bike.
Having said that I have a GoPro camcorder that I use for trackdays, and when I first got it I used to also use it for commuting. -However after reviewing some footage a week or two later I decided that if I were ever involved in an incident whilst commuting the accompanying footage may be used to incriminate me.
Fwiw having seen a fair bit of bike video footage, it is my impression that for a "dashcam" it would be better to have the type that attaches to your helmet. That also eliminates the chance of you inadvertently leaving it on the bike (& therefore vulnerable to theft).
Memory cards are (always?) a separate item. However they are getting pretty cheap these days, so don't let that deter you.
Hth.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Do you want it just in case of an incident? Some of them record in blocks of 5 or 10 minutes on a loop.

The Go-pros are more for recording in blocks from start to finish.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

This has reminded me that I need something suitable. My camera only records 10 minutes then stops and it's mounted on the bike.

I've asked on Twitter and another forum for recommendations.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:Do you want it just in case of an incident? Some of them record in blocks of 5 or 10 minutes on a loop.

The Go-pros are more for recording in blocks from start to finish.
I think I may have explained myself poorly. I was not intending to recommend a GoPro, merely pointing out one of the primary flaws I discovered when I tried using mine
Fwiw the reason I was reviewing my footage when I decided I should stop using it was because I had reached the capacity of the 32gb SD card.
The dashcams that I have in the Vito & Sillycar both are on a constant loop & direct wired. I've occasionally looked over at their footage for abstract interest, but basically just forget they're even there generally.

(wait) Because of his riding history, I'm thinking @T.C. may have some pertinent input for you Tom.?
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I would personally never attach a camera to my helmet. After introducing my helmet to tarmac fairly violently I can confidently say that I wouldn't have wanted a blocky camera to have been stuck to it. I think they don't allow cameras attached to helmets on track for good reason!
sir thomas blanchard
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

yes it was to record a possible incident,

last time i was knocked off , by a car changing lanes without signalling, it would have been helpful to have a video record.

seems like helmet mounting is best then plus a start to finish record. also greater capacity than a 32gb SD card.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Action-Cam-Ixi ... 1245084147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saw the above on ebay, either helmet or bike mounted.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I bought one very similar to that a couple of years back. I'm sure it was much cheaper.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've found the link. It's no longer available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SROZJMK/ ... B0026P4H6K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there are a few options at the end of the page.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

DaytonAndy wrote:I would personally never attach a camera to my helmet. After introducing my helmet to tarmac fairly violently I can confidently say that I wouldn't have wanted a blocky camera to have been stuck to it. I think they don't allow cameras attached to helmets on track for good reason!
The Schumacher effect ? -That would seem to be a concern, however don't some police traffic forces use them ?? If it is a safety issue it's unlikely the Trajic Cops would accept the practice.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The reason why track day organisers banned them was more to do with the size of them at the time and them falling off.

I agree - there is a safety issue with them because there is the potential to increase any injury, but I suspect that increase is slight. Schuey wasn't wearing a motorcycle helmet when he had his crash plus he was wearing the larger square go-pro style camera.
sir thomas blanchard

found one kwacky from the link you gave but it was currently unavailable but i'll keep looking