Police Motorcyclist Killed in RTA

The news and your views about biking
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Police Motorcyclist Killed in RTA

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 94016.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can't work out what happened, looks like a car crossed in front of the biker or pulled out in front, not sure.

If a police motorcyclist can get killed like this then it points up how vulnerable we all are :S
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Police Motorcyclist Killed in RTA

Post by Kwacky »

Very sad news.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

sir thomas blanchard wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 94016.html

can't work out what happened, looks like a car crossed in front of the biker or pulled out in front, not sure.

If a police motorcyclist can get killed like this then it points up how vulnerable we all are :S
Nobody will know for sure until the inquest and that includes me as this is my Force and my department (Traffic) Everyone will remain tight lipped until then which will be several months.

This was a former work colleague of mine who worked out of my local nick at Loddon Valley (Reading suburb) and the crash happened less than a mile from me on a particularly bad crash black spot.

I have dealt with 4 or 5 fatalities in the same spot over the years and I was told that this was the 17th or 18th crash at this location in the past 24 months?

That is 3 serving officers that Thames Valley have lost this year.

Being on a Police bike means nothing. I was on front and rear strobes, sirens blazing, headlight pulsing and I still got hit. Difference was (and bearing in mind we don't know the full circumstances yet) that I survived and as just left crippled/disabled.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

SAd news and particularly sorry to hear he was a colleague T.C, That is a lot of accidents on one spot, surely that has to fall down to bad road planning and something needs to be changed
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Very sorry to hear that TC
Monty™© MCMLXXII
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

Cavetroll87 wrote:surely that has to fall down to bad road planning and something needs to be changed
Unfortunately since de-regulation and the demise of Police traffic management departments, local authorities (particularly where I live) have become a law onto themselves in that they will not listen to anyone and they hire degree educated idiots who don't have a clue and come uo with haor brained schemes to justify their existence rather than just doing the basics well.

And I know that this is the case in many areas throughout the country.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Very sad news, my thoughts go to his family friends & loved ones. Presumably hits them especially hard for them at this time of year. ;(

I'm sorry for bringing it up again TC, but (even without knowing the specifics of this incident) I would be more than surprised if it wasn't yet another reinforcement of my stance in our recent discussion.: http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... ing#p99619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A change in how we view our driving entitlement.: Compulsory re-testing for all drivers at set periods.

Having a licence to drive on the road should be an earned privilege, not a lifetime entitlement IMHO.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I am a massive supporter of regular re-testing.
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

very sorry for your loss TC.

incidents like this make me re think motorcycling, is it worth it if trained/ experienced riders can be killed in this way?

of course I won't give up but nevertheless it puts the wind up, unfortunately it's not just me, our boy has a couple of bikes too, no doubt influenced by his twatty dad who can't seem to grow up and ride in a car like everybody else.

the only thing that occurs to me is the rider must have been going some to be wiped out, and why not, i go quite fast too if the speed limit allows.

i think the car was driven by a 30 yr old even though it was the 90 something old passenger that died.

Without knowing anything of the incident it seems like the biker hit the passenger door?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I deal with serious and fatal accidents. Speed is not always the reason for a death. There are a number of factors. I've seen incidents with a bike destroyed and the biker walking way, and sadly I've dealt with cases where it has been the other way around.

The mechanics of the crash, the movement of the vehicles, the movement of the people involved, street furniture, health and fitness - there are many factors to consider.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Written retests should definitely be at least considered .....it's standard practice here....IF, and only if, you've had a moving violation in the past four years (licencing period).

The good news is that if you have a motorcycle endorsement, you get to take TWO tests, just for being a massive spacker.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:I am a massive supporter of regular re-testing.
Ditto. If your competent you have nothing to fear. I had this very conversation with my parents who were moaning at the age of 70 they had to fill in forms and self certify their competence to carry on driving.

They didn't like my view that they should have at least a competency test and compulsory eye test. Thats not necessarily a full test but a short but fair judgement of their continuing competency (especially observation).

I'm sorry to hear this TC, i hope you and those colleagues / family around the police group are not too badly affected. My heart goes out to his family.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Kwacky wrote:I

I'm sorry to hear this TC, i hope you and those colleagues / family around the police group are not too badly affected. My heart goes out to his family.
Although a former colleague, I did not know him that well other than through Traffic division functions that I and my fellow retired colleagues still get invited to.

One of the differences between Traffic and divisional Police is that when you become a traffic cop you join a family that stays with you for life.

It will have affected those still serving far harder.

With regards to the re-testing idea, as I have mentioned before, it isn't going to happen anytime soon if ever for the reasons I explained.

But in respect of this incident, we do not yet know the dynamics of the cause of the crash and we won't do for some time despite everyone trying to second guess causation.

In a couple of weeks I have to go to an inquest which is sceduled for 2 days in order to extract relevant evidence as the Police file will still not be released for several months and especially as it has not yet been dealt with at the Crown Court for death by dangerous driving. This was for a crash that happened 9 months ago, so evidence is very patchy.

In the case we are discussing, things could be held up even longer because it has been referred to the clowns at the IPCC :^
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Loddon Valley is just down the road from me poor bloke. Just talked to my misses and she said she heard he was on one of the shows like Road Wars too. 91 year old woman and still driving? Is that really for the best? Thoughts out to the family

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo, the passenger was 91. I don't think we know the age of the driver.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Ahh right I see. Proper shame to hear

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk