Helmets and safety

The news and your views about biking
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Helmets and safety

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cavetroll87 wrote:Wish my dad laughed at me, he hates bikes and literally takes every opportunity to remind me how lucky I am after my last off
My dad has ridden all my life, I’ve got photos of me sitting on his bikes at 2 yrs old. He’s 68 and still has a bike, even after a long struggle with bowel cancer and ongoing issues post. He even rode with a colostomy bag on! But he’s about to go in for a hip replacement and it sounds like the might end his riding career. Still a pretty good innings I reckon! The only regret is we never got to go riding together. The bike trip I did a few years back he was too crook to get on the back, let alone ride himself.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

It won't end biking for him mate, he'll be right as rain after ge gets his new hip. Mine gives next to zero in the way of problems.

I did have to take my walking stick with me at first for a few rides....get someone to "spot me" on & off the bike a few times, etc....but it's no big deal once you're moving.

It even helped in a few ways.....I'd always put both feet down at lights....didn't have any choice but my left (good) leg after the op.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Kiwi - I’ve got both my hips replaced, it doesn’t limit you, it frees you from the constant, draining pain and fatigue a knackered hip will create.
Fwiw I was back doing track days a year after my first hip replacement, all your Dad needs to do is the prescribed physio (treat it as a minimum) and keep pushing against the pain, the rewards are fantastic if you work for it. HTH, DG
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cheers guys, hopefully that’s the case then. He said he wasn’t enjoying it due to the pain in his hip and was considering selling the bike. Hopefully he waits till after the op and gets a new lease on life.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

kiwikrasher wrote:Cheers guys, hopefully that’s the case then. He said he wasn’t enjoying it due to the pain in his hip and was considering selling the bike. Hopefully he waits till after the op and gets a new lease on life.
I would advise waiting until at least 6 months after the op before selling, I’m not quite sure your Dad understands the degree the new hip will give him his zest for life back, it’s a real before/after thing. (Or it was for me anyway!)