Helmets and safety

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Helmets and safety

Post by duke63 »

I bought a new helmet at the weekend an AGV K5S.

I was talking to the guy on the Sharp helmet testing stand. Apparently the current legal standard does not test for side impact but Sharp do. Isn’t this a severe fault in the testing standard?

Are there any statistics to show the percentage of impacts at various points on the helmet in accidents? I would have thought a side impact is just as likely as a frontal or rear impact if not more so.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Helmets and safety

Post by Kwacky »

I'm sure there are stats, there are always stats.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Pretty certain the lids of today will be well above grade anyway. Thinking about the tests we do for chocolate it's far more than legally needed but we do it for excellence. And then thinking about our tests for medical equipment we tested at every stage and the company I worked for has never lost a person due to a piece of equipment failing and they were very proud of that fact! ssomething as vital as a head, the designs and manufacturing process will be very high, we just lile to pick flaws into a system that works well now. Our countries testing process to make it to consumers will be top notch. I'm not worried in the slightest!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
duke63

Post by duke63 »

There are a few helmets that only get one star out of five in Sharp testing. They might pass the legal standard but it doesn’t mean they are a great protection if the testing doesn’t include side impact.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I read "Side impact" and think "another vehicle involved".....the vast majority of bike accidents are single vehicle incidents. You just can't plan for every eventuality.....be nice if someone could, but it's not really feasible
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

If you've got a cheap head, get a cheap helmet!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMOAu4LFnE4[/video]

There's lots of videos out there of cheap vs expensive helmets but for me this is the best one as its so simple.

As for current testing I think I already knew this which is why I go with Sharp ratings, if you go on the sharp testing site you can search helmets and it shows you how each helmet performs and shows you things like side impact, front etc, its pretty interesting to look at
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Surely it's lile everything? Not everyone can afford the best of the best, it has to pass a legal standard and that video surely doesn't show legal standard for the UK. Personally I think it's a worry for nothing, a test is designed to show it's weak points to find where the failings are, not the strengths. Yes some are better than others, but you would expect that with a 100wuid lid compared to a 1000quid lid, and if you didn't then why spend 1k on a lid?!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I always check out the Sharps rating for any helmet I'm considering buying.
I can't recall what lid it was, but when I last replaced my commuting lid (I got a Shark) the one I had previously been intending to buy showed very poor side impact protection in their ratings.
Dammed if I can remember what it was though.. (headbang)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

SOmething I was told a while ago but unsure if it's true or not; "Arai don't do well in Sharp testing because they make it strong overall, not just in the positions where the sharp testing tests - unlike some cheaper brands which just want to get the highest score possible"
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:I read "Side impact" and think "another vehicle involved".....the vast majority of bike accidents are single vehicle incidents. You just can't plan for every eventuality.....be nice if someone could, but it's not really feasible
Last crash I had D was at the track, no one else involved, high speed low side and I smashed the side of my helmet that hard I’m pretty sure I was unconscious momentarily as I don’t remember going down or hitting the deck only sliding.

So IMO and experience side impact is very likely and worth testing more than pin point impact testing.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:I read "Side impact" and think "another vehicle involved".....the vast majority of bike accidents are single vehicle incidents. You just can't plan for every eventuality.....be nice if someone could, but it's not really feasible
Last crash I had D was at the track, no one else involved, high speed low side and I smashed the side of my helmet that hard I’m pretty sure I was unconscious momentarily as I don’t remember going down or hitting the deck only sliding.

So IMO and experience side impact is very likely and worth testing more than pin point impact testing.
Of the two crashes where my helmet hit the ground, both of them were side impacts
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

another one here for 2 crashes with 2 side impacts
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You feckers need to be a bit more careful
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

where's the fun in that, if your not falling off you're not trying hard enough
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Which is exactly what I said to my old man after my crash when he was trying to gloat about his accident free motorcycling days.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Its the Marc Marquez way. Ride so hard til you fall off and then turn the throttle back a smidge.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

duke63 wrote:Its the Marc Marquez way. Ride so hard til you fall off and then turn the throttle back a smidge.
I’ve tried that, but after a few months it creeps back up again, with the inevitable eject button issues. (facepalm)

Fwiw 3 sides and one front impact, sides were track incidents, front was a smidsy years ago on the road.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Which is exactly what I said to my old man after my crash when he was trying to gloat about his accident free motorcycling days.
I have the opposite problem now, my dad commuted everyday to Birmingham - rain, ice, sunshine etc on his 250N Superdream and fell off plenty due to ice, idiots etc and i used to laugh about it as a kid.

Now he takes the piss if i fall off. Sadly i crashed in front of him at Mallory a few years ago and i still haven't heard the end of it :D Old bastard ]:)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Wish my dad laughed at me, he hates bikes and literally takes every opportunity to remind me how lucky I am after my last off