does a ride have to have a purpose?

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: does a ride have to have a purpose?

Post by Kwacky »

We didn't get round to a proper Cotswold run this year. I'll need to make sure that doesn't happen in 2018
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

Frankie wrote:Nope, many rideouts have a reason, but for me getting out for a quick spin, is the purpose a lot of the time, it's a kind of stress reliever in a way. If not for a solo ride for unwitnessed nuttery, but also to meet up with pals.
purpose of a motorcycle ride could be to relieve stress but this implies that the ride itself shouldn't be stressful, so some measure of planning, ie; nice scenery, back roads, quiet places and pleasant destination?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Trying to keep up with Frankie is stressful enough
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

No....it doesn't have to have a 'purpose', but it's often better when it does......otherwise it's just going through the motions
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

May as well add my twopenn'orth.: I'm afraid I'm not one for "ride outs", never have been.
Consequently I only ever go for a ride if I have a reason or destination to instigate the trip. Furthermore I dislike riding for more than about 30-40 mins at any one time, anything further & I'll probably be on four wheels.
I shouldn't let my attitude skew your results though Tom, as I'm possibly not exactly your conventional specimen.?
sir thomas blanchard
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

after getting back into bikes I used to aim for the sea, south, east and west but now I have been to most resorts and places of interest one way or another in the southern part of the uk. It takes its toll on my butt of course, where i live you can't get any further from the sea, i think that's why i miss it, an empty horizon, sound of waves and sea air, reminescent of holidays.

pendine

deal

caernarfon

mudeford
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Nice photos. However the furtherest point from the sea in the UK is actually around Lichfield and Tamworth i believe.
sir thomas blanchard

duke63 wrote:Nice photos. However the furtherest point from the sea in the UK is actually around Lichfield and Tamworth i believe.
you are right, it is coton derbyshire west of burton on trent, just googled it :)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You don't see many XJs around these days
sir thomas blanchard

Kwacky wrote:You don't see many XJs around these days
ah, that's a bit of a pet subject....

first, i'm a cheapscate, somehow i've grown up with the idea that motorbikes should be inexpensive transport but, today, that isn't really the case. However I can't seem to change my mindset.

They are among the cheapest bikes you can buy, 'what a surprise' i hear some cry. They are old school, carbs and air cooled, not too complex. also they go well and hold the road. previously I owned the diversion but these older ones are nicer.

Every now and then i go along to a dealer and have a test ride of something else but i come back and think that i like what i've got, i'm not even envious of the 900 version because that would be too heavy for me.

I have a third one but it is in bits, this is the three before the third one was dismantled, I hope to get it going again in due course :)
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Well, you'll never be short of parts!

My rides don't need a purpose other than getting out and getting away from the daily grind. I don't commute on it after moving away from London so only ever ride for pleasure (read escape)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I can understand wanting to have 3 bikes but I'm not sure about wanting 3 of the same.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

sir thomas blanchard wrote:... somehow i've grown up with the idea that motorbikes should be inexpensive transport but, today, that isn't really the case. However I can't seem to change my mindset.
(wait) I have to disagree with you to a certain extent there..; Whilst I have a similar mindset, I am happy to defend my opinion with these observations.
I have a 1984 MTX200 that I have had since 1986. The value of the bike will be currently greater than the £400 I paid for it despite the fact that he only money I have spent on it has been on servicing or consumables. It can out accelerate most modern sports bikes when town riding & returns a fairly respectable 45-50 mpg. Insurance is pennies. - Show me any car that I could have owned as cheaply ?
My pride & joy is my Daytona 675. A more exquisitely beautiful & exotic two wheeled composition has yet to be produced. On the roads she turns heads everywhere she goes, attracting admiration from motorcyclists and uninitiated alike. On the racetrack she has the handling & performance to (in the right hands :( ) embarrass even the latest & flashiest superbikes. If I wished to achieve that level from a four wheeled vehicle, I don't expect I could accomplish it & have much change from £200k.?? If you then factor in the other costs of ownership.; depreciation, servicing, consumables etc.. the disparity in costs is magnified. My whole life costs for my D675 I should expect wouldn't come close to one years insurance cover for her four wheeled competitor.???

So IMHO you may want to re-examine your self doubt in respect of the cost of motorcycling.???? -Rather continue to appreciate the buzz you derive from your XJs, unencumbered by the bigotry of the unenlightened plebs.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Oh, & to pretty up your thread a little mate.:
(giggle)

sir thomas blanchard

Kwacky wrote:I can understand wanting to have 3 bikes but I'm not sure about wanting 3 of the same.
the reason for two was that when one was off the road then i had another to ride,

the third was such a no brainer price that i would have been silly not to accept it

- my wife isn't that happy that her car got chucked out of the garage though :( .

It is useful having similar bikes as if anything relatively minor goes wrong you can find the problem by swapping over parts,

i know that is a crude way of doing things but it can be helpful for a quick diagnosis on the electrical front.
Last edited by sir thomas blanchard on 29 Nov 2017, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
sir thomas blanchard

StMarks wrote:Oh, & to pretty up your thread a little mate.:
(giggle)

fair enough - good colour combination, i am a bit obsessed with pre diversions and when i go to my local vjmc bike meets there is very little interest in them haha :) PS the MTX200 looks like fun.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Kwacky wrote:I can understand wanting to have 3 bikes but I'm not sure about wanting 3 of the same.
I’ve had two of the same but in my defence, one was a road bike the other was a pure track bike.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

The purpose of my ride is always enjoyment.

If the route, stop off's or company are good that s a bonus but the purpose is always enjoyment (y)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You forgot the cake, Blade. ;)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Covered under stop offs (^) :P (giggle)