someone wants to take the bike round the car park

The news and your views about biking
hubington
Your Bike: CBR600RR5 - twisted metal edition

someone wants to take the bike round the car park

Post by hubington »

There is a new lad on my team at work, he says he used to ride a 250 back in India but that was 6 years ago. He keeps bugging me to let him take the CBR600rr round the car park. I've said no as he isn't insured (although in a private car park you technically don't need to be do you?) and it's a lot more aggressive than anything he has ridden before. I can't see taking it round a car park being that much point either. If it was a 125 and he wanted to get on a bike then fair enough but a sports bike at 5mph? aside from bragging rights of I've ridden it (which becomes a joke when they hear the circumstance) I can't see what you get from it. I might make sure he has a valid UK bike license and suggest we visit a dealer so he can test ride something from there and if he writes that off then he can take it up with them.

It's getting a little uncomfortable as I keep telling him no and he keeps going out of his way to ask or be in the car park as I'm looking to leave, I don't mind letting him have a perch (although he only just managed a foot down) but I can see him writing it off if he got his hands on the keys and maybe someone elses car too and there are a few nice ones in the office car park which odds on are the ones he would hit!

what are peoples views?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: someone wants to take the bike round the car park

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I think we all know it will probably end in tears mate.

You will end up with a damaged bike, an injured colleague, probably someone's damaged car & undoutably the blame for all of it.

How to tell him no, so that he "gets it" is going to be a challenge though IMHO.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Do. Not. Allow. It. Take it from me , based on the experience of a "test ride" while selling a SV650 and a civil case later, have at least what you value the replacement cost of the bike to be and a signed contract that 'if-he-crashes-it,-he-buys-it' in hand, don't let ANYONE ride your bike.

Ever.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Not in a million years. Even experienced riders struggle riding at low speeds in a confined space.

Show him the clip from The Inbetweeners where Jay picks up a motorbike and crashes it. Tell him that's what you're worried about.
hubington

Post by hubington »

Thanks guys. I guess as much as anything I needed someone to reasure me I wasn't being a ****. Next time he asks I'll suggest a dealership test ride and see how he responds to that.

If he reviels that he hasn't got a valid uk licence for bikes on top of not being insured then im pretty sure I can make a case that HR would kill me if I let him out on it. If he has the licence though then a dealer test will be a far more fullfilling ride anyway.
hubington

Post by hubington »

Kwacky wrote:Not in a million years. Even experienced riders struggle riding at low speeds in a confined space.

Show him the clip from The Inbetweeners where Jay picks up a motorbike and crashes it. Tell him that's what you're worried about.
Irony of irony, the dealership where that happened if the one I ride past everyday on the way to work and probably the one I'd take him to.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Deffo a no from me, I've dropped my bike myself and caused £400 worth of damage so u wouldn't trust anyone else with it.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I don't think I can add much to this one. NO
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Same as the others really.. No..

Personally I would only let a biker that I knew really well, and had ridden with, ride my bike. I doubt you have an "all rider" policy so if you did let him ride the bike he would be doing so uninsured. You can only foresee that ending in a very expensive and ugly mess.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

My answer would be as well as the above is the same when selling a bike and they want a test ride, put the value of the bike in cash in my hand and if you crash it you've bought it :)

I find it a bit odd that he keeps pestering you when you have already said no.

Buy him a CBT I;m sure ut would be cheaper than trashing yours !!
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

hubington wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Not in a million years. Even experienced riders struggle riding at low speeds in a confined space.

Irony of irony, the dealership where that happened if the one I ride past everyday on the way to work and probably the one I'd take him to.
I used to live in the flats opposite that dealer so we have probably crossed paths many a time and not even known it mate!

As for the ride I would say no, some of my mates who have licences and ride a lot I dont even trust on my bike lol let alone someone who hasnt ridden for 6 years and not on anything near as powerful ;)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My dad asked a few times in the past. "It's only a 600" Yeah dad. That's right. It's also 30 years since you last rode a bike. Sod off.
dizzyw
Your Bike: Red Daytona 600

Post by dizzyw »

No no no no no, just no!!
A good woman can make you feel strong, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.... oh sorry.....thats beer....beer does that
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Shortly after I passed my test I dropped my CBR at low speed, about 300 squids damage and that was about 12 years ago, even more now. Don't do it.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I don't understand how people are so civil about this or am I just a hard barstard? Haha!
I allow my dad to ride my bike because he is insured to do so and he rides regularly too...however i agree two different bikes altogether!

This guy wants to go from a 250...pretty sure it would be less power than what we have over here in any case and he wants to go onto a 600...your 600...tell him to piss off if he keeps coming up. It's the only way some people learn. I'd be pissed off after a couple of Times being pestered, tell him straight and don't feel bad or uncomfortable...that's your pride and joy he wants to get one then he works for it
hubington

Post by hubington »

I have to be a bit diplomatic about it as I have to work with the guy and we are a small team so 'F off' will land me in HR. Also he is technically above me on the company structure although I don't think he actually realises that. Equally I don't think he realises how uncomfortable he is making things by keep asking.

There are a few people I would let ride my bike but all of them have licences, ride big bikes at the moment and have insurance. There is maybe one person I know who hasn't got insurance or a bike licence that I would let take it round a private car park if he really wanted but he has been my best mate for 20 years so there is a lot of mutual trust and respect and he wouldn't want to anyway for fear of doing damage to the bike and himself. In the case of all those people I feel that they would respect it though as they know I got myself a nice bike as it was something important to me where as I get the impression from this chap that he sees it as a toy or accessory where as if it got broke, even if he didn't end up taking out the MDs 18 month old BMW M3 I'm there thinking "how do I get to work tomorrow".

Where he keeps asking it just got me questioning myself as to if I was being a bar stool as he is so quite and unimposing in every other regard. As always your feedback has been invaluable though and I've got some good points to shoot him down with if it comes to it although hopefully he will stop asking.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I'd let him take the CBR around the car park. But it's not my bike. (giggle)

If it was my bike, no way. And I think he's a bigger d!ck to keep asking and should realise it is an unreasonable request.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ask him if you can have a quick go on his missus in return and promise you won't damage her, as you take out the gaffer tape and handcuffs from your backpack.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Ask him if you can have a quick go on his missus in return and promise you won't damage her, as you take out the gaffer tape and handcuffs from your backpack.
Ah, thats better. The tankslap helpful advice equilibrium has been restored.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:My dad asked a few times in the past. "It's only a 600" Yeah dad. That's right. It's also 30 years since you last rode a bike. Sod off.
My dad took my Daytona out about 6 years ago now while I was cleaning it (yes officer he stole it) as I wouldn't let him ride it.

I went in the house (my lid was in the garage) to fill the bucket, next thing I hear is my bike and dad roaring off down the road.

I was livid when he came back 20 mins later. All he could say in his own Black Country tongue was 'fast that ay it!'

:D