Going Bareback

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Going Bareback

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So I keep finding myself looking at z1000's and thinking, "ooooohhhh that looks fun..."

Keep thinking about swapping the zx6 for one, it would be the 2010-2013 shape not the newest, been thinking it for ages but worried ill end up missing full fairings and clip ons. Need to find a dealer with one really to take out for a spin to either get it out of my system or push me over the edge.

all this is probably hypothetical day dreaming atm plus may not happen if the Mrs hangs me at the mention of a new bike...
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Going Bareback

Post by Kwacky »

Naked are great fun. They've really come on over the last few years. You get sportsbike perforance from them now.

The only time you miss the fairings is when you're doing silly speeds. 120mph was about as much as I could take on the speed triple.

Some will tell you they would miss the weather protection but I didn't find that. I get soaked on a fully faired sportsbike.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Yeah I dont ride all that much in the rain and when I do I really do end up soaked anyway so thats not a concern, I dunno what it is that makes me hesitent to let the ninja go, im not a good enough rider to push the 6 to its limit anyway so probably make more use of the zed, I dunno im gunna brave the subject with the other half tonight and see how it goes down. (hopefully she wont put me down lol)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

There's the z800 as well which is just as capable but probably cheaper to insure.

When I had 2 bikes it used to be a naked and a sportsbike. I ended up using the sports for commuting and the naked for fun. The lack of a fairing does help keep your speeds down as you feel as if you're going fast. Something you miss on a fully faired sportsbike.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Like Kwacky says over a ton for me and it's a bit uncomfortable not that I do those speeds, but I don't miss my sportsbikes especially after 300 + miles rideout.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Cavetroll87 wrote:im gunna brave the subject with the other half tonight and see how it goes down. (hopefully she wont put me down lol)
It was nice knowing you mate... ;)

There is a lot of personal taste when it comes to bikes. I had a naked for a year and never really got on with it, ok it was and XJR so had the performance and handling of a small tank. But, I always came back from the ride knackered. The only way your going to find out if they are right for you is test rides, but do make sure you plan out a route that covers back roads and dual carriage ways.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

cheers for all the input guys, if I dont post tomrrow tell the police to check over the railway lines as im sure thats where she would hide the body :) HAHA

I did look at the 800 Kwacky but I dont know what it is there is just something I really love about the 2010 onwards thou's. I do like the new one but I have a feeling that may be out of my budget...
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

I like the protection that a proper fairing gives and keep kidding myself into believing I'm gonna do that mega touring trip across europe (but almost certainly I never will).
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I've done 145 on my speed triple (on a private road) and the wind blast wasn't too bad with the cowl. What I did find annoying was that my rucksack was a bit loose and like wearing a parachute.

I am much happier on my speed triple than I was on the zx6r. The ZX6r was a brilliant bike, but I only got to enjoy the best of it 25% of the time. The speed triple suits me more for more of my time on the bike (commute a lot|)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

That pretty much sums up how I'm thinking I would feel about the zed D6, well I'll see what the Mrs says and book up some test rides
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Well after a long chat with the Mrs which didnt go as badly as I thought, I think the sensible approach is at least get the wedding out of the way and then see where we are, so WOnt be happening till at least the summer, by which time warm tarmac will make me not want to swap the ninja, so probably wait till winter at the earliest now...maybe (bandit)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

You'll get better deals in the winter than you will at the height of summer.

But, I do think you;ll be surprised at how well the modern series of nakeds handle. I've watched a few of the guys here riding and a lot of the naked bikes seem to turn into the corners a lot faster than a sports bike. I don't think you would really miss out on the fun of a sports bike.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Z1000 for the win!

- If you're talking engines, it's a beaut.

- If you're talking handling, likewise.

- If you're talking fuel economy, well, don't.

- If you're talking fun, I've had mine for about 18 months and it still makes me giggle like a little kid when I open it up! But that brings you back to point 3!

I personally think it's the best looking naked out there, but that's subjective really. Kwacky mentioned that it keeps the speeds down without a fairing. Which it does, but I've found that whilst my top speeds have come down, the way I get there is worse. I can't help opening the throttle just that bit more to propel myself forward in a sphincter-nipping rush! (bandit) (bandit) (bandit)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I suspect you might have more fun on a decent sportsbike-based naked, not less.