went on a test ride today !!

The news and your views about biking
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

went on a test ride today !!

Post by rocket »

Got a test ride on and R1 today. I have been trying for a while. 3 dealers i have visited said they had no demo bikes and did not know who had one. So i was surprised when I walked into CMC chesterfield last week and they said yes they had one and that i could go out on it. With a previous day cancelled due to rain. I got up this morning and saw it was dry, i chucked my gear on and went straight down to CMC. I got there early with the hope they would just send me out which they did. Unfortunately while i was speaking to the dealer it started to rain.

Out i went on super corsas and with little knowledge of the roads in the area. The first 10 minutes it was 30 zones which get highly policed so i watched my speed and tried to get used to the bike. I gave the brakes a few stabs and they felt ok a really heavy lever and seemed to have decent power. However later in the ride when i pressed on a bit they don't give much feel and felt a bit under powered for the bike .I was worried about the seat pad being so thin, i was on the bike an 1hr 20 mins but had no rear end pain. The bars are positioned racey but if you did not grab on to them like you were strangling a cat my legs and upper body could take most of the weight and the riding position felt quite comfy. Riding in the 30 zones like on any super bike is not the best the fuelling is very nice and smooth but the throttle is a bit all or nothing it actually felt better in first gear. I got to a country lane and gave the bike some beans. WOW this bike is fast i rode the gsxr 1000 down and im pretty confident at opening the throttle feeling the surge and being shot were the front wheel is pointing. The R1 took my breath away it really felt that fast the front wheel skipping in the air and the urgency at which that bike fired me down the road was breath taking. I really struggled to find some decent roads were i could test the bike out until the last 20 mins. I had been in a lot of traffic or 30 40 zones and when they did clear a bit it was very damp and still raining. However i got to a round about, headed up a random road and it was clear and pretty dry so i gave it some beans and lent it over a bit. The bike handled the roads nicely it was a little hard for the road but it was so easy to turn in and held a line to the point i had to remind my self i was on super corsas on wet roads. On the way back to the dealers the road opened up and i gave the throttle a good twist to make sure i had not imagined how fast it was before. Nope it fired me up the road saving the rubber on the front wheel as it hovered a couple of cms off the floor. After getting off the bike and contemplating my thoughts I like the R1 a lot it made me feel pretty special and even with the road conditions i really enjoyed riding it i dont think i would have pushed on so much on many other bikes as it just gave me so much confidence. The acceleration is to me was unreal a little bit scary which i love( it may be the position or the way the bike makes the power but it did feel really fast). But it does have some down sides the brakes as previously mentioned. The throttle has no resistance at all and felt numb and has all or nothing feel to it. I struggled to get tucked in on the bike I want to put some miles on one and some would have to be motorway so it would have to be bearable which i think it would be with a bigger screen.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: went on a test ride today !!

Post by Kwacky »

Sounds like fun. I presume the brakes can be sorted out easily enough.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I think if i was in the market for a missile, that would be very high on my list.

Great review. Would you buy one?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Wow what a day for you mate. Shame it started raining, bloody Britain for you! Did you get any photos or did you just have too much fun out there to remember Lol!!?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Great write up Rocket, sounds like it lives up to the hype.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Nice bike, mister.

I enjoyed the short ride i had on Stonesie's MT10 a few weeks back but i did wonder whether it still had more R1 than MT10 in it.

I suspect Yamaha haven't changed much other than the bars and bodywork. Its a lovely engine. An IL4 with a touch of character and torque.

So when are you picking it up, rocket? :D
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

One of the first thing's I did to the MT-10 was to change the pads for EBC EP series, the standards as you say lack feel but do have good power. The EBC have way better feel and more bite.

Great write up, makes me want to go and have a ride myself as i've never been on a big bore Superbike, a D650 was my biggest unless you count 20 miles on a mates Super Blackbird, more towards sport tourer really.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

So when u getting it???
rocket

Post by rocket »

I fancy a new bike and If i can make the numbers work I want to buy one but it may have to wait a bit.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

What you fancying Rocket? Are there more test rides on the cards?

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Nice write up and I do love that bike.. for the sound more than anything
rocket

Post by rocket »

I may revisit the s1000rr but i it found it a bit boring . Maybe a new gsxr just to try it but i dont like its looks.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

rocket wrote:I may revisit the s1000rr but i it found it a bit boring . Maybe a new gsxr just to try it but i dont like its looks.
LOL, another Panini customer coming your way before long Mr Ducati (giggle)
rocket

Post by rocket »

StMarks wrote:
rocket wrote:I may revisit the s1000rr but i it found it a bit boring . Maybe a new gsxr just to try it but i dont like its looks.
LOL, another Panini customer coming your way before long Mr Ducati (giggle)
Nope crossed it off , I tried Andys out when we went away. Nice bike but i can not live with the vibration.

Rsv4 is also out as I can not bring my self to buy one with the problems people have had.

In my head its between the R1 and the s1000rr. But i found the s1000rr a bit stale the last time i tried it.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The R1 engine is a peach if the MT10 is anything to go by
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

rocket wrote:Maybe a new gsxr just to try it but i dont like its looks.
Just found this on my phone lol.. Image
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

The R1M is definitely one of my favourite bikes.

Not ridden one but the looks and sound are amazing.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

In my honest opinion defo go for another test ride on the Beemer, it's not bonkers like the GSXR it's more refined but when you want it to rip your head off it doesn't take much persuading . But it's all down to taste enjoy the test rides and accomilating your thoughts on it all!!

Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I love the look of the R1, Personally thinking Yamaha are really upping there game with models at the mo, I think Ill probably keep a yammy next and as much as Id like the R1, with my weak flipper Ill probably go MT10 but who knows haha, fantastic write up mate!
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Blade wrote:The R1M is definitely one of my favourite bikes.

Not ridden one but the looks and sound are amazing.
I have and it is an awesome m/c , not fuelled for town riding and its a bit stiff for the bumpier roads but get it on some decent tarmac and its a proper weapon , its definitely built for the track. Its smaller and lighter than my Daytona 600 and has twice the power and more electronics than the space shuttle .

he had to put the standard system back for the TD but he has the full Akra system on it for normal use