Brake Pad Info

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Brake Pad Info

Post by Blade »

Some useful info on brake pad characteristics thats hopeful useful to people (y)

Bendix MCR - RACE BRAKE PADS Carbon matrix pads for competitive racing at the highest level (Superbike/ Supersport / Grand Prix / Endurance / Road Racing). These pads will out perform organic, sintered and other carbon metallic brands - it doesn’t come any better than this! Sets new standards of initial bite and stopping power! Predictable feel and braking power at all temperature ranges. Very short bedding in process due to thermal pre-treatment. Consistent performance throughout pad life. Low wear rate on pad and disc. Recommended for use with stainless or OE iron rotors. These pads are not recommended for road use.

Bendix MRR - RACING SINTERED FRONT BRAKE PADS . Sintered racing pads for serious track use. MRR is an ideal track day pad for more serious riders of Superbikes. Awesome stopping power in wet or dry conditions. Progressive feel / feedback. Short bed in period due to thermal pre-treatment. Ceramic backed to prevent fade. Recommended for use with stainless / Brembo / OE iron rotors.

Performance Friction

BETTER FEEL: PFC pads have excellent and consistent release control from the first stop to the last. More brake bite with more control and quicker transition times. Race ReadyTM Heat Treatment provides immediate stopping power with limited bedding
BETTER PERFORMANCE: High-Temperature Strength Carbon Metallic® friction is more resistant to pad wear at high operating temperatures. Ionic FusionTM process bonds the friction to the backing plate with the highest shear strength in the industry. Patented Powder Coating eliminates corrosion and ensures smooth faultness operation of the brake system
BETTER RESULTS: Faster Transition Times. Quicker Lap Times. These pads are not recommended for road use.

Brembo Z04. The Brembo high performance brake pad range was developed exclusively for racing and designed to offer unparalleled performance in the most demanding race conditions: with greater braking control, greater system stability, increased braking power, outstanding resistance to high temperatures and reduced wear. These pads use the unique Brembo Racing Z04 compound, which is used in the World Superbike and Supersport Championships. The most significant characteristics of this material are its high friction and consistent performance, especially at high disc temperatures. These characteristics ensure superlative, consistent braking for the entire duration of the race and make the braking system much less prone to fade. For these applications, low temperature efficiency is less important, and as a result, these pads are not suitable for road use.

SBS RS. Formerly SBS's highest performing racing pad for Supersport & Superbikes in the late 90s and early 00s, the Racing Sinter (RS) compound is now rated as the ultimate and affordable road approved Track Day pad for your road & track bike. Being sintered, the RS compound works extremely well from stone-cold - and also in the wet - with excellent high temperature fade resistance and durability.

SBS DC. In the simplest terms, Dual Carbon pads have a similar make-up to sinter pads, but with an extra blend of special carbon materials. The benefits of the carbon characteristics are to once again improve thermal stability, stopping power and pad wear. They can be used with your standard steel brake rotors/discs. To some, the sound of the word carbon will have many running in fear because of their supposed disadvantages in the wet. However, Dual Carbon pads have been designed to work just as well in the wet as they do in the dry, and provided you get enough heat into them you should find that’s exactly what they provide.

SBS DS. The new “state-of-the-art” SBS DS Dual Sinter brake pad compound and complex manufacturing technology has been developed over a period of 3 years. Severely tested in SBS’ high-tech brake-dyno and bike tested by the best World Championship race teams to withstand the extreme load from speed and temperatures.

SBS DS Dual Sinter also meets the expected performance requirements of the never-ending development of engine power, suspension and tyre technology in World Championship racing.

Characteristics:
•No thermal bedding-in or brake fade due to new sintering technology.
• Very high initial bite.
•Very high friction level and linear brake performance.
•Very high thermal stability.
•Consistent brake performance and brake lever position.
• Extremely low pad wear.
•Available for majority of new Superstock, Supersport and Racing brake calipers.
• Recommended for top level World Championship and Endurance road racing.
• For race use only.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Brake Pad Info

Post by C00kiemonster »

Thats useful ta :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Isn't this all off the pdq1 site?

http://www.pdq1.com/brand.php?BrandID=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yes. Thought it would be useful if not just delete it.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No, it's fine. Just wanted a sanity check for me as I thought I had seen it before.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I have to say, the Bendix MCR is a pad I'm not sure on yet.

Reason being is that I rode the SBS DC then changed over to the Bendix MCR on Day 2 in Spain. Maybe I'd just gotten used to the SBS and thus didn't like change but the initial bite of the Bendix was noticeably stronger to the point where I frequently had the back wheel in the air braking from 160mph+ down the front straight - this was too strong for me.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity of trying them back to back again but going from the Bendix to the SBS. It's possible the best performance from the pad had gone but as its a gradual reduction I hadn't noticed it.

Either way, Brembo don't make the list for me anymore; they're just too much money and aren't significantly better IMO
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm an MRR man. Great for me, all year round.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Wouldn't mind trying the SBS RS pad as they are good in cold too. Literally never held onto a bike for long enough to buy different pads, only ever had to buy pads twice out of 7 or 8 bikes I've had! Would love to try a track day tyre too but our weather is less than prefect so I think there's not much point in that as I'd use it in all weather anyway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cav

Post by Cav »

If it's a weekend bike, Rossgo, you could try a 'trackday' tyre in regards to a Supercorsa SP or Racetec K3, they just aren't the best for commuting or the rain (although I personally love them in the rain)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

To be honest I use it in the cold and a little bit of communtiing too so won't work well for me. I want to try the Bridgestone Rs10 again though as on the big bikes they stuck like glue!

Blade

Post by Blade »

You won't be disappointed with the sbs rs pad Rossgo.

Best bang for buck pad on the market bare none and a noticeable improvement over OEM pads.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:You won't be disappointed with the sbs rs pad Rossgo.

Best bang for buck pad on the market bare none.
Did you not get on with the Bendix?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

When i finally come to change my pads these will be in mind!

Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:
Blade wrote:You won't be disappointed with the sbs rs pad Rossgo.

Best bang for buck pad on the market bare none.
Did you not get on with the Bendix?
Never tried them tbh but I m sure there good.

Full set of SBS RS for 42 is a brilliant pad at a brilliant price is my point.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Old thrrad resurrection- 2 years on and I have kept this thread saved!

This morning I have ordered the SBS RS pads to try. And also the EBC HH rear pads.

Almost £80 for those but still cheaper than the Brembo SC pad that I was considering to get. Hope I like the SBS RS pads to be honest. I did really like the EBC HH pads

I currently have OEM Brembo standard pads fitted which arent bad I just feel like i want more stopping power and the OEM pads aren't giving that to me.

Is there a market for used brake pads? They still have plenty of meat on them but I just dont get along with them really

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I wouldn't put used pads on my bike. You don't know if they've been contaminated with anything.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Me either to be honest mate. I wouldn't trust them but i didn't know if some people would for tryong them out or if they were on a budget

Cav

Post by Cav »

I would put a post on FB marketplace or Trackday Addicts - no harm in asking.

I'd recommend 30-50% of purchase price and transparent honesty of use. It may end up being someone's backup set for lets say £20
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cav wrote:I would put a post on FB marketplace or Trackday Addicts - no harm in asking.

I'd recommend 30-50% of purchase price and transparent honesty of use. It may end up being someone's backup set for lets say £20
I wouldn't post on FB - trust issues! But eBay I would and I was thinking approx £25 all round (fronts and rears) still meaty and still got plenty of stopping power, just not my type of stopping power

Cav

Post by Cav »

PayPal + Fees is what I do through FB.. it's how I just parted with a significant sum of money. 3.4% fee isn't so bad to lose