Test Ride - 2017 GSXR 1000

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Test Ride - 2017 GSXR 1000

Post by Rossgo »

Long post if you get bored just skip straight to pics at the end Image

Ok so I've been banging on about taking a test ride for a while and I've only ever taken a couple of test rides before as I'm short and tend to shy away from asking the question because I feel like the salesman will laugh!

However today was something special! I enquired about one beginning of last week and they jumped at the chance of me going out, 'No worries mate' they said 'anytime' they said, so I said 'Monday morning be alright?!' They replied YES, AND YOU WILL COME BACK WITH A GRIN ON YOUR FACE WE PROMISE'

So today is Monday!!

I took my dad with me as I knew he was off today so we made a long morning of it (hence arranging it for today) plus he will keep me in check!! Image

What did you ride? I hear you ask

Well today I took out something a little special the new Susuki GSXR 1000 R courtesy of Haslemere Motorcycles with at the time around 550miles on the clock!

When i arrived they hadn't brought out the bike because I was a little early around 40 mins early to be exact but they made me and my dad feel welcome and we did all the formalities of insurance and checking driving lisence etc and got the bike all ready for me fuel etc. They took me through the TC settings and I said I'd like it in the middle (10 settings I had it on 5 - 10 being greatest 1 being non existent!).

So bikes all ready and they handed over the keys as I swung my leg over I thought WOW this feels like a 600!! It's light, relatively small yet incredibly roomy

So we got going, it was loud because it has the Yoshi end can on it without baffle, personally didnt like it, it was too loud for my liking maybe a baffle would help it out a bit. Guessing this is the same as all 1000s but first is good for the 30s and 40s yet it's refined enough to cruise along at 30 or 40 in pretty much any gear...but it didn't feel like those speeds in fact I had to CONSTANTLY check my Speedo to make sure I was UP to speed because it felt like I wasn't moving at all!!

The dash is a little confusing and busy in my opinion but when you start to get used to it sure there's no problem at all with it, I noticed it even showed the outside temp!!

It had the auto blipper and quick shifter, wow why haven't all bikes got these it's incredible!! I used it up to sixth and back down again but I didn't really get out of 2nd or 3rd for the majority of the ride because I was just having too much fun (so much for my dad keeping me sensible!!). I found out just how much hard work a 600 really is and started thinking how many cars can I overtake in one sitting instead of where's my pull in space!! Maybe a bit of a piss take there, but I can understand when I follow some of you guys you are managing to progress maybe a tad easier than myself!!

The big Showa BFF front forks give you enough feed back and in fact glide over all the bumps in our road and just create a planted feeling

Tyres were the Bridgestone Battlelax RS10R I was a bit nervous about them as I was thinking they would be like the supercorsas and I HATE them because they take ages to warm up but these Battlelax were pretty easy to get up to temp and felt like they had lots of grip

The Brembo brakes are strong, maybe not as sharp as what I'm used to but definitely a strong feeling and I did have to use them at one stage - my own fault I didn't realise just how slowly (35 in a flipping 60 zone) a car driver was going and I had to slam them on as there was traffic coming towards me on the other side of the road, actually scared me a bit because I was going at a fair old lick and my thought just before pulling the lever was I'm going over the front here!!' But I didn't I slowed down let the traffic go and went around this tit of a driver and left him in my rear mirrors!

Wind blast....didnt feel a thing maybe because I'm small but I didn't feel anything

Turning circle. I got to a T Junction and I was in the right hand side of the lane indicating right, realised I was ment to go left and had to do a sharp turn from stand still, I coudlnt believe how easy it was, I managed to turn left all within the space of my side of the road without feeling wobbly!!

Negatives

There is a wicked amount of vibration throughout the handlebars, so much in fact that I had to, on occasion shake my hands off in the 30s to get feeling back, it's far more than what I'm used to, is this a 1000cc thing? Can anyone say?

Dash a tad busy

Very quick it's a lisence killer I realised it was very happy to do excess speeds Image Image Image Image Image

Anyway 1 down 2 more to go!

Overall...wow wow wow!! Would I go for it...yes I think I would! If I can do something about the vibration

Anyway hope I haven't bord anyone and hope it's an OK review!!

Now for the promised pics!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Test Ride Review

Post by C00kiemonster »

They get a good write up. Not my style of sports bike but very capable.

Vibration is interesting, shouldnt happen on an IL4.

Good fun when it's not yours :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Test Ride - 2017 GSXR 1000

Post by Kwacky »

Nice write up mate (y)

Agreed about the vibration, you shouldn't get that. Did you mention it to the dealer? It could be a number of things.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Good read Rossgo, not boring at all. And easier to read than some of your posts so you must have reviewed it a few times (lol)

I was the same as you, thought I'd be intimidated by a thou, but once you get on them it's a doodle! And as you say, not as much hard work!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yea I did say that to the guys at the dealers. Me and my dad thought it could be the fact of it having the cheaper fuel and also the big can without the baffle maybe it has an effect on it and also maybe hasn't been napped for the big can. I know when I got it in the tech came out and told me it was getting it's oil changed and when I was leaving they had it in the garage being worked on. Would this have an effect on it?

Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I like It in that colour... nice family dealer as well, not been in this year, but they do tend to get some nice used machines in as well as the new models.
Glad you had fun mate, should not get constant vibes at all... very strange.
As for passing cars and wot not.... just give your 600 more beans mate, it wants to be revved lol..... I see nothing wrong with its power ;) and can be just as much of a problem with your DL as a litre bike, it's all in the wrist.

Nice write up, look forward to the next three, you had better have a Beemer in there ;)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Bar vibration sounds like aftermarket bar-end weights.

Nice review.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kiwi cheers for that, glad it wasn't boring, I tried to get the main points in from what I felt from the bike! It was brilliant!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Frankie, I agree I give the 600 beans when I can but on the thou it's got the end power of my top power and the top power of a 747 jumbo yet

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Would you recommend the Beemer? Barnstormer near Loomies would be a great location for a test ride must admit! What are they like to offer test rides in your experience?

D41

Post by D41 »

.....Now go try a Honda or a Yamaha and see if you notice any difference
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D - could well be right it could be the bar ends as well but didn't notice that they were aftermarket ones. I just found it very strange and not pleasant. The bike didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all and therefore I didn't feel tense throughout the ride, it made me feel pretty comfy tbh!

D41

Post by D41 »

Well...the ends on that are black, and AFAIK nearly every bike out there comes with bare metal ends.

Only reason I mentioned it, and when I switched to placcy ends for racing I noticed the same thing.....you end up with w@nkhand after about 15 minutes.

On second thoughts......
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There are 101 reasons for vibrations through the bars.

Look at all that blue anodising. Cavetroll's wet dream bike.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Either way I had a brilliant time riding it looking forward to tomorrow even more!

Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Good write up Rossgo, there are plenty of reasons for that vibration, can't imagine an oil change would fix it though - a throttle body balance would change it, valve clearances can give it, but wouldn't have changed in under 1000 miles, or it may may just be a price to pay for the variable valve timing.

Not my colour taste at all, and the can is fugly as feck, I totally agree with you about the dash - I wonder if there's a customisable function to eliminate some of that info? Those wheels are just pure Gixer (no such thing as too much) - I suspect there's an American focus group responsible for that choice....

However a modern thou lives and dies on the power and handling, and it sounds as if worked for you on both those levels, what marks would you give it out of 10?
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Nice review Rossgo I find with swapping from 600 to 1000 cc bikes it takes a while to adjust to the speed difference. Want to try out a new Gsxr1000 my self.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:There are 101 reasons for vibrations through the bars.

now now Mr Kwacky, I didnt put any anodised bits on mine, I merely mentioned braided brake lines, I didn't realise It would offend you so much!

Good write up Rossgo, I like the new gsxr. only thing I didn't like was the tank, I found when I tucked in on one the airbox cover/tank flexed as it was plastic, guessing not something you noticed.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
Kwacky wrote:There are 101 reasons for vibrations through the bars.

now now Mr Kwacky, I didnt put any anodised bits on mine, I merely mentioned braided brake lines, I didn't realise It would offend you so much!

Good write up Rossgo, I like the new gsxr. only thing I didn't like was the tank, I found when I tucked in on one the airbox cover/tank flexed as it was plastic, guessing not something you noticed.

HAHA i would not worry its pot calling kettle back with MR Rimoza
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Nice review Rossgo.

There is a Suzuki dealer near me withba demonstrator parked outside. I need to give them a ring :P
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

rocket wrote:
HAHA i would not worry its pot calling kettle back with MR Rimoza
Taste is temporary.

Class is permanent.