Cavetrolls MT09 thread

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Cavetrolls MT09 thread

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So yesterday me and a mate fitted the can, not particularly hard job, but deffo need the extra pair of hands and took about an hour in total, very happy with it, sounds lovely and as said before is just right, not too loud but just gives the bike a bit more presence and that little something extra.

So obviously the best thing to do was go out this morning and test her out so another little run to my new favorite biker cafe for brekkie seemed lkke a good choice. Only this time we got a ahow with brekkie, we had been there about 10 mins when some banged up old merc pulls in very very sharpiah followed by blues and twos, guy gets out clearly pissed as a fart, no t shirt, big camo jacket, wearing leggings and a bum bag, its a good look, proceds ro get arrested and then the copper goes in the back of the merc and pulls out 2 rifles!!! Not what we were expecting, entertaining though haha!

ImageImage

Quick blast back via some twisties and get home and my fly screen has arrived so got that fitted and all is good, thats probably her tucked away for the weekend now but at least ive had some fun already!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The can looks good
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Had a play with the suspension today, theres not a lot of adjustment stock hence why people swap them out but ive gone almost as hard as possible on the front and it has inproved the bikes handling ten fold already, holds a line much better mid corner and as a happy side effect the brakes feel better too as less dive, still wanna try a new set of pads once payday comes round but it is much better

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Quick update, so I ordered my rad guard yesterday so looking forward to fitting that, about a week lead time as coming from Germany, was a bit pricey but liked it a lot more than the plain R&G ones and the cheap Chinese ones as this one covers the sides too which I think really improve the look of the bike.

Still really enjoying the bike atm, I would definitely like to get the suspension sorted at some point as both front and rear are as hard as can be now and its still a little wallowy on fast sweeping corners and theres quite a bit of weight transfer when getting on the gas on the rear so I think shock is the priority over the forks but that will have to wait for a bit and to be honest my level of riding its not exactly holding me back.

Also still want to fit some braided brake lines, the brakes have improved massively from stiffening the suspension up as there is far less dive now but I would still like more initial bite and plus how good would blue braided lines look on this bike.

Have not really played with modes too much yet, leave it in Standard 99% of the time as that is enough most of the time, although Friday was so wet that it was B mode all the way home which actually just made the bike a doddle to ride, in some ways it felt like i was riding through treacle, It just all felt much calmer, which in the wet was no bad thing. I am going to make a point of trying out A mode a bit more soon but when I have used it Ive found the initial throttle response from closed to open is a bit harsh, especially in corners, it can be in Standard mode as well but its not too bad and you can ride around it.

All in all still very happy I changed the ninja as this has really helped my confidence agan
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm not a fan of coloured lines but it's not my bike.

Confidence is king. Enjoying the ride is the main thing.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:I'm not a fan of coloured lines but it's not my bike.

Confidence is king. Enjoying the ride is the main thing.
I'm from South London way mate, As much as I try there is always a little part of me that loves tacky bling haha! I think with it coz its so much black with the hints of blue I think it will just add that bit of extra colour. (Thats my excuse anyway haha)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Confidence is by far the largest part of being a good rider and riding well (Y)

Glad to see you enjoying it - I'd love a naked for the road !!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I suppose you could get away with dark blue lines.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I got the 'carbon-look' lines for mine which look great. Not sure why they gave it that name though because it's just black braided hoses with a clear cover rather than the black plastic cheap-looking cover on the 'black' lines
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:I suppose you could get away with dark blue lines.
That's the spirit ;)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So yesterday I spent the ride home in A mode......

My god!

The bike is an animal in A mode, a wheelie-ing, back firing angry animal. Id seen some things that say the MT has more power and less weight than an r6, before I never really believed it, or more correctly assumed it did, but was toned down, in A mode you can tell it has, its a riot! It is literally arm wrenching acceleration and completely different bike to the one I had been getting used to, genuinely feels sportsbike levels of quick!

Although now Ive lived with it a little theres a few bits I want to look at, I still want to address the brakes and the suspension, I'm currently on the look out for a shock from a 2005-2006 zx6r (or RR model, but that's like holy grail in the MT world it seems) as these are a straight swap for the poor OEM part, also thinking that I would eventually like to wire up a switch to the ABS fuse to make it switchable, couple of lads on the MT forum have done this and looks pretty simple to do so might try that at some point. My Radguard is due to arrive today so get that fitted soon and also still keeping half an eye out for a decent pair of bar end mirrors. Also have a little surprise mod planned over the next couple of days that I know Kwacky will love, as soon as that's done Ill whack up some pics ;)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

if it's blue anodised gixxer tat you're getting a ban
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

please, I do have taste you know!

Ive really upset you with the mention of coloured brake lines havnt I?

But no, you will like it!

https://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium-engi ... pec-7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See look how pretty all those blue bolts are :P
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So rad guard fittesd along with the other secret mod, gotta be worth at least an extra 23bhp i reckon!
Attachments
IMG-20170808-WA0003.jpeg
20170808_201204.jpg
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Very very late to this thread mainly because I noticed how long it had become and I thought I'll leave it until i get some decent time.to read through it all! Great thread, you clearly are enjoying it and thinking of ways to improve the feeling too.

Keep it Going

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Cheers mate, thinking i might do the suspension over the winter, looking i can get either hyperpro shock and fork internals or ohlins shock and fork internals for about 600, not aure which way to go yet, looking at either this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1568656037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2713577654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know they are the most basic shocks going but gotta be better than the awful stock one and its not like im tracking the bike regularly if at all mainly just looking for abit more positive feeling from both ends as at the moment its very very bouncy even on the firmest settings
Last edited by Cavetroll87 on 15 Oct 2017, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Shout if you want new stuff, I know a man who can and with a bit of a discount
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Personally I'd go for the Ohlins if spending out on aftermarket stuff but it's personal prefernece im fairly certain you won't be disappointed with either!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:Shout if you want new stuff, I know a man who can and with a bit of a discount
Sounds very much like it's dropped from the back of the van?!! Hahaha

Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:Shout if you want new stuff, I know a man who can and with a bit of a discount
Cheers mate, any particular brands he can get and stuff, im deffo looking, thinking im gunna use that mo ey to get it sorted and make my leathers last another year or so instead, do they do fitting too? Just for simple reason i dont have adequate stands to remove forks and stuff so thinking its probably easier to let someone else do it for once and also get it set up properly