Need to get a better picture

The news and your views about biking

Who has been involved in a crash caused as a result of loose gravel or poor re-surfacing?

Poll ended at 16 Jul 2017, 14:27

Involved in an injury crash
9%
Involved in a damage only crash
18%
I have not been involved directly but I know people who have
64%
Been involved in more than one crash caused by loose gravel or poor re-surfacing
9%

Total votes: 11

T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Need to get a better picture

Post by T.C. »

You may recall a few weeks ago I asked what campaign you would like to see run relative to motorcycling safety.

The overwhelming feedback I got was loose gravel and poor re-surfacing/re-dressing of road surfaces. Something that has not been looked at much in the past.

Well, we are looking to at this as our potential motorcycle safety campaign for 2017. However, in order to get some decent ammunition, I need to get an idea of how many people have been affected by poorly resurfaced roads and/or loose chippings. This does not include pot holes which is a different issue and which already has various campaigns up and running.

So, you response to the poll/survey would be appreciated, and also an indication as to whether you would be prepared to share your story for our website and campaign material, whatever that might be when decided on.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Need to get a better picture

Post by Cav »

A mate of mine (who was driving very fast at the time) came round a bend and came off due to gravel. Had he had been riding slower the outcome may have been different.

Either way, he should have at least scouted the road first
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

First bike (scooter) I had, second day on it, at night, turning at an intersection and hit a repaired patch of road with loose gravel on it, no signage at all, straight on my butt. A quick lesson in not taking anything for granted.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw when I first learnt to ride, a lot of my riding was spent on roads with poor surfaces & gravel/stonechips around corners was "the norm". I suspect that may be the reason that I have always been hyper-aware of any indicators to poor surfaces, and always (so far) been able to adapt my riding/road positioning to avoid any issues with chippings.
However I voted for option 3, because my 675's previous owner wrote it off when attempting to negotiate a newly road-chippinged corner. He drew a line under his motorcycling, and I got a very cheap (& slightly damaged) bike.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I didn't crash, but I rounded a corner onto about 2 inches of loose surface dressing a few weeks ago. It was that deep when I finally stopped (several bum clenched hundred meters later) I couldn't get of the bike because the stand sunk into it!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Just a quick bounce job as the poll ends on Sunday and then we can make a decision
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Only last weekend on a ride out two people fell foul to gravel. :(
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Interestingly the places round here they have recently resurfaced with chippings, a few days later they have sealed the chippings in with another layer of what looks like tar making them no longer full of loose gravel.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

It's not only loose chipping that annoys me it's the mess hedge cutting makes all over the road ,so many punctures on my push bike car and motorbikes