Bike Thefts (again)

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Bike Thefts (again)

Post by Kwacky »

Logged on to facebook. Had a look at a biking group. 3 Bikes thefts posted where people are asking for facebookers to keep an eye out.

We've all argued that the police need to do more and that these thieves need a shoeing.

But

All 3 bikes parked up, no security. Nothing more than the steering lock. Which we all know does fook all. One in a multi storey, one at home and one outside a shop. It must take seconds to break a steering lock and get your shithead of a scotter mate to give you a tow.

Surely we as owners should be doing more? Disk locks or brake locks cost £20 to £30 quid. As we've seen from videos, it doesn't stop thieves, but it will put of most of them as not many go round with portal grinders. I'm going to start taking a disc lock with me when I go out. I don't want to but I think we all need to do our part.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Bike Thefts (again)

Post by duke63 »

1098 stolen from Merry Hill the other day.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I agree you should put some effort into protecting your bike, but it's a bit like slapping on PPE as a fail safe rather than trying to manage the risk in a more effective way.

I'm constantly amazed at the level of bike theft you guys in the UK have and to a large part expect.

There really needs to be more controls put in place higher up the line. Obviously the penalties are far too lenient for a start. I guess the core problem is bikers are such a small percentage of the vote it's all a numbers game. But if tougher penalties were put in place for vehicle thieft as s whole?

I reckon a targeted campaign on two up scooter riders is needed as well. The way I see it is a legimate scooter rider is generally commuting or popping down the shops, who in reality ride shares to work on a scooter?? If coppers pulled over every two up scooter event and did a search for tools of the trade, licences, MOT/ownership checks you'd be making it harder. Plus putting in bigger penalties like scooter seziures (if they actually own it)

They did a similar law change in NZ to stamp out dangerous car mods/driving. If you were unlicensed the car got impounded and you paid the costs. If you couldn't car got sold or destroyed. If it wasn't your car, still happened. Up to the owner to ensure whoever they let used their car was licenced. Same thing for unlawful mods and driving offences. Had a major impact on the roads and car safety. Heaps of uproar at the time but it's now ingrained and accepted. Some still flaunt the law but there is no quarter given. Last time back there read an article about a guy who'd had his previous car crushed for driving offences, got a new car, expensively modded it and got caught again with driving offences. Pleaded in court to be able to remove some of the fruit (stereo etc) prior to crushing and the judge told him bad luck.

The thieves seems to have it all their way in the UK, needs to be a major shift imo.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:..I reckon a targeted campaign on two up scooter riders is needed as well. .....
The police are not even allowed to pursue them, gives the scroates a totally free hand.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They can but only if both of them are wearing helmets. The scrotes know this, which is why the passenger will usually ride without a lid on.

Kiwi - the police and council can already seize and crush unlicensed vehicles and those without road duty.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I went and bought a new chain the other day specifically to leave at work so that its always here when I use the bike coupled with the alarmed disc lock I have under the seats on both bikes. Just find it sad and frustrating that I have to pay that much and go through that rigmarole everyday just to stop some little scrotes from thinking they are more entitled to my stuff than them. Already had 2 attempts on the zx6 at my last place, funnily enough they never bothered with the hack.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yeah, it pisses me off that I have to spend hundreds on security and that it takes me 20 minutes if I need to swap my bikes around. Bu needs must unfortunately.

Where I usually park my bike at work it's out of sight and next to the building, so there are always eyes on it. They wanted me to start parking it next to the delivery bay, which I refused. Imagine having your bike parked next to where countless large vans and trucks come and go each day? It wouldn't take long to chuck in the back of a van.

I'm hoping the ugliness of the Versys is enough to put off any would be thieves.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Very similar to my last place, that was round by the delivery bay but there was always a minimum of 6 or so bikes there and the door was always open and I was right there, hence managing to chase them off twice, Here is all CCTV'd up but the guy I have replaced rode a 125 and didn't lock it up but had it stolen from here so knowing that I'm not taking any chances.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

This pisses me off, bikers slagging off other bikers for having securoty "not up too much" like seriously, the guys have chained the bikes together, they shouldnt have to as we have said but i get that they do have to, but dont need other bikers then almost blaming the victims. Image

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's enough to make a thief look at another bike so that's a job done IMO. I would use a thicker chain at home though
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

kiwikrasher wrote:
I'm constantly amazed at the level of bike theft you guys in the UK have and to a large part expect.

The thieves seems to have it all their way in the UK, needs to be a major shift imo.

I totally agree....it does beggar belief doesn't it?? I think at some stage you just have to start thinking "What's the point??"

It'd be like running a liquor store that constantly gets robbed...sooner or later you either move, or find another line of work. Or both.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Car thieves moved to bikes when they found out they're much easier to steal. Most of them get shipped off to Eastern Europe to be broken. If you're looking for a bike part you can be sure someone in Lithuania has one for sale.
D41

Post by D41 »

Makes sense.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40731485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good piece on the increase in two wheel thefts and crimes in London
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I park in a works car park. BUt it is through a security check point. And there are far better bikes around than my knacker.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yours would only be stolen by someone with OCD - it would come back washed and waxed.
D41

Post by D41 »

:D
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Saw a theft the other day and disc lock was ineffective as the thevies just cut through the actual brake disc.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Blade wrote:Saw a theft the other day and disc lock was ineffective as the thevies just cut through the actual brake disc.
They have been doing that for a little while now the scum, there was a bloke who was stuck in his house and watched 10 or so little gits spend 10 minutes cutting through his chains and multiple disc locks/discs, couldn't do anything coz they threatened him with knives and hammers and smashed his window, just infuriating! :@
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I would have boiled the kettle and gone siege tactics on their chavvy asses.

At least you know the police would turn up the moment you did something to protect your property.