Motorcycle Campaigns

The news and your views about biking
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Motorcycle Campaigns

Post by T.C. »

Over the past few years we have had campaigns about Diesel Spills, potholes and a few other less profile issues,

But I am interested and thought I would ask the question as to whether you feel that something obvious has been missed in the grand scheme of things?

It relates to something I am discussing at work at the moment.

I would really like to hear your thoughts and reasons.

Thanks.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Motorcycle Campaigns

Post by Kwacky »

Bike thefts - it now seems to be accepted that bikes get nicked.

Phone use - I do think the 6 points has worked as the number of phone users I see has dropped, but it's still a massive issue

Lane discipline - for both riders and drivers. Do people not know how to get into a lane and stay there?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My personal opinion on driving in general is that the accepted standard of driving is too low - frankly, how people can repeatedly fail a driving test is beyond me.

Pass Plus should be the compulsory level although Advanced Driving such as IAM or RoSPA is something I feel should be greater rewarded (by way of insurance discounts) to get more people doing it and to improve everyone's awareness and general safety on the roads.

Also for speed bumps to be gotten rid off and for all white lines to be grippy white lines.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

in complete agreement with Kwacky re bike thefts , a new bike costs upwards of 12k for many people that is 5 yrs of finance and/or a hefty withdrawal from the savings account yet penalties for stealing one are tiny in comparison to the amount of hard work that goes into buying one , if it takes me 5 yrs of graft to buy it then the scrote that stole it should have to do 5 yrs as a penalty and a full 5 yrs none of this time off for good behaviour bullsh!t , the finance company don't charge you less because you've been a good boy
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Tuition.

Too many people (riders or otherwise) assume that getting their licence is the end of their driving/riding education, when in reality it's just the beginning.

To drive well when someone is scrutinizing you is one thing...to do so when alone is something else.

Don't get 'caught up in the moment'....peer pressure, etc.

Good riders always leave late, and ride very very fast. Especially when it's wet, etc.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Bike thefts - it now seems to be accepted that bikes get nicked.

Phone use - I do think the 6 points has worked as the number of phone users I see has dropped, but it's still a massive issue

Lane discipline - for both riders and drivers. Do people not know how to get into a lane and stay there?
The above and what jack says on the subject of theft (devil)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Most likely going to repeat what has been said, but as someone who is doing in excess of at least 35K a year in my car, and a good amount of miles on two wheels the things that get me the most is:
1) Lane discipline - either the weaving on motorways, for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone wonders out of their lanes! and the drivers/riders who cannot take a bend, and just cross the line into my path. People are just getting lazier with their driving.
2) Bike theft - I seem to be more aware, most likely being on a number of pages on face book which are highlighting, but this is getting worse for sure and needs really harsh dealings with it. We pay more for insurances, more for security measures, all costing large sums, regardless of the cost of the bike in the first place, its a joke.
2) Still see loads of people on the phone - still needs to filter through.
3) Pot holes > even worse and when you do confront the council they do sod all... regardless if the hole has white/yellow paint around it or not.. Unless you have time to fight the man, you are on a hiding to nothing.
And last but not least, which could go on, but hey dont want to ramble. This does come under better drivers and a better test system, but for crying out loud does the description not give it away, "INDICATORS" why the hell do people choose not to tell others what they are about do to, or when they do, they do it at the very last second!!! when I hear myself say to myself, "was it worth bothering" LOL --- which defeats the object of what I am ranting about.
Wel thats it for now. ;)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Tailgaters, middle Lane hoggers,front and rear fog lights during the day for no reason,throwing butt ends at the window of a car infuriates me
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I believe we are all increasingly dismayed at the seeming dismissive attitude towards motorcycle thieves. But whilst it appears to be increasing exponentially it is hardly a new subject.
Personally I don't see why it isn't legislated that the manufacturers link the ECU to a transponder in the key. The technology has been the norm in cars for over 20 years. When I wanted to buy a spare key for my little Vito I had to take my Photo ID, Council Tax Bill, V5 and the vehicle itself before they would even accept my order.

My view ties with that of Cav & D41.: I realise that you disagree Mr TC, but I will reiterate (yet again) that I believe that >5 year licences, that have to be earned by passing a periodical test could be self funding. Presumably it could be operated alongside our existing computerised MOT testing/ Insurance/ Road Tax system.
IMHO in the long term it would be far cheaper to our society than our current "head in the sand/ can't be done" attitude.?
  • Removal of dangerously poor drivers from our roads.
    Creation of employment serving the newly expanded "Driving Test Industry".
    Reduction of accidents/incidents.
    Reduced insurance premiums driven from reduced vehicle reinstatement costs.
    Reduced burden on NHS from traffic injuries.
    Increased UK productivity due to reduced traffic delays caused by accidents.
    Reduction in grieving family's of victims of RTA's
I could go on (yes, I realise I do) but I struggle for any legitimate & reasoned argument against. The only people that I can see having a vested interest in preventing this, would be those who benefit from preventing it are those employment is currently funded by the insurance industry.?
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Middle lane hoggers. Its one of the worst traits of UK driving now. The inside lane is more often than not the quickest to use these days as there is no other **** in it.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

StMarks wrote:Fwiw I believe we are all increasingly dismayed at the seeming dismissive attitude towards motorcycle thieves. But whilst it appears to be increasing exponentially it is hardly a new subject.
Personally I don't see why it isn't legislated that the manufacturers link the ECU to a transponder in the key. The technology has been the norm in cars for over 20 years. When I wanted to buy a spare key for my little Vito I had to take my Photo ID, Council Tax Bill, V5 and the vehicle itself before they would even accept my order.

My view ties with that of Cav & D41.: I realise that you disagree Mr TC, but I will reiterate (yet again) that I believe that >5 year licences, that have to be earned by passing a periodical test could be self funding. Presumably it could be operated alongside our existing computerised MOT testing/ Insurance/ Road Tax system.
IMHO in the long term it would be far cheaper to our society than our current "head in the sand/ can't be done" attitude.?
  • Removal of dangerously poor drivers from our roads.
    Creation of employment serving the newly expanded "Driving Test Industry".
    Reduction of accidents/incidents.
    Reduced insurance premiums driven from reduced vehicle reinstatement costs.
    Reduced burden on NHS from traffic injuries.
    Increased UK productivity due to reduced traffic delays caused by accidents.
    Reduction in grieving family's of victims of RTA's
I could go on (yes, I realise I do) but I struggle for any legitimate & reasoned argument against. The only people that I can see having a vested interest in preventing this, would be those who benefit from preventing it are those employment is currently funded by the insurance industry.?
The terrible drivers can and have passed driving tests and they will still just adjust their driving to pass a test and continue on their merry way once it's out of the way with, nothing will change except the addition of another cost.
Enhanced testing could also lead to an increase in related crime, lapsed licences leading to more uninsured drivers and higher premiums in the cases of collisions, increased strain on the NHS from traffic injuries due to unlicensed drivers failing to stop for police, test failures leading to people driving unlicensed and so on.
There have always been a lot of dickheads on the roads and as the volume of traffic continues to increase, so does the number of dickheads. I think the best solution would be to reduce the volume of traffic on the roads, better public transport could be an answer to the constant high traffic volume.

and slippy manhole covers, get shot of them.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

StMarks wrote:
My view ties with that of Cav & D41.: I realise that you disagree Mr TC, but I will reiterate (yet again) that I believe that >5 year licences, that have to be earned by passing a periodical test could be self funding. Presumably it could be operated alongside our existing computerised MOT testing/ Insurance/ Road Tax system
I have never said I disagree with you. If you look back at what I said, all I have said is that it isn't going to happen for the reasons I have explained.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

T.C. wrote:
StMarks wrote:
My view ties with that of Cav & D41.: I realise that you disagree Mr TC, but I will reiterate (yet again) that I believe that >5 year licences, that have to be earned by passing a periodical test could be self funding. Presumably it could be operated alongside our existing computerised MOT testing/ Insurance/ Road Tax system
I have never said I disagree with you. If you look back at what I said, all I have said is that it isn't going to happen for the reasons I have explained.
Point taken TC, thank you for correcting my misconception.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

R34PER wrote:....The terrible drivers can and have passed driving tests and they will still just adjust their driving to pass a test and continue on their merry way once it's out of the way with, nothing will change .....
Well if there were certified assessors who were held accountable for subsequent poor driving of anyone they had deemed acceptable, maybe that could help reduced such instances.?
R34PER wrote:.......Enhanced testing could also lead to an increase in related crime, lapsed licences leading to more uninsured drivers and higher premiums in the cases of collisions, increased strain on the NHS from traffic injuries due to unlicensed drivers failing to stop for police, test failures leading to people driving unlicensed and so on. ....
Isn't all that ^ basically dropping back on the old theory that if you do away with laws, you won't have any more criminals.?? -And I struggle to see how that extra burden on the NHS would be created.
Anyway..
R34PER wrote:....... I think the best solution would be to reduce the volume of traffic on the roads, better public transport could be an answer to the constant high traffic volume....
With the rise of driverless vehicles, and the associated changes in the way we think of personal transport, I expect that's almost inevitable.
Maybe I'll eventually be the only motorcyclist left, carving my way between the Trams & buses.
R34PER wrote:....and slippy manhole covers, get shot of them.
I do agree with you about the sunscreen, sorry Manholes, though mate.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

The CHP occasionally set up a little stand in Azusa Canyon. They're friendly, encouraging even.....but the booth is full of photos of what happens when things go wrong on a bike......trashed bikes, hospital pics. of their latest customer's injuries, etc.

They say nothing about any of them unless asked. It's a touch grisly...but not gruesome.

It takes the edge off your enthusiasm for risk...