Double demo day

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Double demo day

Post by Kwacky »

I spent today at DMC Kawasaki Birmingham

First off was the 2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX

Kwaks top selling sports tourer has been revised for this year following feedback from current riders. We now haave a wider front fairing, lower and more comfortable seat, double bubble screen, new screen which includes a gear indicator, LED lights and a lighter clutch with slipper assistance.

As someone who has spent over 2 years riding the SX I felt right at home. The small change in seat height is noticeable, as is the lighter clutch. The engine is the same peachy zx10r Gen 2 lump detuned for touring. You now sit more in the bike than perched on it so the riding position feels closer to the z1000.

The new screen looks a bit cluttered and to be honest it was only really the gear indicator I bothered with. The older screen is clearer as it has less information.

I did my usual route of going to work and back, there on A roads and motorways and back on the country roads I know. The OEM tyres are crap, so the steering is a bit lazy but the bike responds well to firmer steering input.

There's not much I can add as a review over what I've posted in my ongoing 2014 review thread. It's a good all round bike. It's gone a little bit more tourer than sports but not massively so.

Side by side I have to say I prefer the looks of the 2014 model . It's taller at the tail and the seat and the overall side styling is better. The new model looks a bit flat, with a large slab of green fairing next to a big chunk of dark panelling and frame. The engine cover on the new model is flat black and looks plastic, whereas the older one has metallic black with a nice sparkle, so it looks like some thought has gone into it

The 2017 is a cracking bike, with a big tank and comfort for long distances but with shed loads of performance with a throttle and engine that seem to be in sync. In terms of value for money its hard to beat.

Next up is the 2017 Versys 650

This is the limited edition, which means nothing more than just a paint job.

The Versys is a bit of an oddball. It's not doing enough to be an adventure bike, but that's what it looks like. It's not really a tourer, but with a 21 litre tank, strong sub frame and housing for panniers and a top box plus a large comfortable pillion seat, it can do it. It's certainly got no sporting aspirations and so it can't be a sports tourer.

On paper it's cheap, heavy and underpowered.

So why is it so popular?

Ride one and you find out. It's got a punchy little flat twin that revs higher than a small twin should. It handles far better than a tall bike on small tyres ordinarily allows and will happily cruise at high speed on a motorway as if it's a hypertourer.

It's a weird bike alright.

The brakes are a little soft for my tastes and the suspension will pogo if you grab a handful of the lever. But those were my only gripes.

You know that you're down on power but this doesn't ride like a 70bhp bike in a 210 kg frame. It's very spiritedly so you find yourself tittering inside your lid as you realise you've just taken the piss with a silly overtake on the approach to a bend. Despite being sat high up the feedback is still sharpp and the steering lets you makes timely changes.

If ever a bike had je ne sais quio, this is it. In time of mass produced low budget high sale motorcycles, this has retained character.

I fell in love. So I've bought one.

Bye bye SX, hello Versys. 2017 650 Grand Tourer limited edition. I got a very good deal which includes alarm and heated grips supplied and fitted. I pick her up next week.

Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Re: Double demo day

Post by Itchy »

I like the paint job.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I like the front lights.
Nice.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

In the flesh it's not a bad looking bike. I'm not surprised you went for one at all, it's a massive box ticker, that sounds like a giggle to boot.

Hope out serves you as well as the sx did.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You don't buy one for the looks, that's for sure. But it's massively practical for everyday riding. You're seated high and it's got a massive tank. I suspect it'll be cheaper to run than the SX as well.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It's a good purchase mate! When I rode one I knew it was a bloody good bike despite the lack of power and lack of toys but it does not subtract from the fun you have on it.

It feels like a 300 to throw around the corners, the change of direction is very good, the damping feels plush and the hydraulic preload adjuster will be a life save when it comes to carrying a pillion.

Okay, the rebound is very fast on the rear and the fork preload was much too high on the one I rode but these are minor things. Redline interupts your fun and the brakes aren't the scalpel sharp system I'm used to on my "modified" ZX6R but it didn't bother me.

Really pleased for you mate - two great bikes you have in your stables!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Cav. The suspension will need a tweak but not much more.

Both bikes are all about having fun to ride. I'm never going to be good enough or fast enough to use the handling abilities and power most bikes throw out so I want to make sure I'm enjoying what a ride without thinking I'm only using a small amount of a bikes potential.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Looks good. There is a reason that they make a popular base for a race bike.

Top box will be handy for the France trip.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I must say I am a bit surprised at the choice initially, but having had no experience with that bike I was only going off the looks.

But reading on and everyone else's comments it seems like a sensible decision and should be a great commuter.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The top box is massive, 47l.

Each pannier holds 27l
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:The top box is massive, 47l.

Each pannier holds 27l
That's pretty similar to the Multi, top box is great, we can fit both helmets and gloves in it at stops rather than carry them about.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Sounds like a hoot to ride Kwacky, a twin has to be better on fuel than an IL4 though, but what happened to the "I'm skint" comment after you bought the 675?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Well now I'm even skinterer

I got a decent trade in on the SX despite the high mileage and the obvious signs of use, with 2 years at 0% on the balance of the bike.

I've no idea what the MPG will be like. I presume it will at least be the same as the SX, which obviously has a much larger engine but it's happy at 5k rpm. Whereas the 650 will need to be revved a bit more.

It'll be cheaper to run. The 650 is group 9 against group 15 insurance for the SX. And a 160 rear tyre is loads cheaper than a 190/55. I've not looked at road tax.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Recon you've done the right thing there, those panniers will make a massive difference commuting and touring.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Superb purchase Kwacky sounds like it ticks all the right boxes for your daily commute and also cheaper to run so great result in my opinion! You've clearly enjoyed your ride with it and 2 years at 0% well seems like a steal really may as well enjoy your savings!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Good bike i hired one a few years back and enjoyed it i found the front end a bit vague but i am not used to that type of bike at all it was good fun and we were two up. For the job you have bought it for i think its a no brainier and the panniers will make it even better
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

and the hate has started already on the SX forum :D

"you;ll be bored after 6 months"
"you'll regret it"
"you'll find the 650 seriously lacking"

Yeah, see ya.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

fanboi's gotta love 'em
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I could always do a track day on it (lol)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ivn5PeQz8[/video]
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My mate gets mid-50s riding 2-up on his Versys..