Bike Failed MOT

The news and your views about biking
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Bike Failed MOT

Post by Tuffers »

Because it has an integrated tail light. Apparently became law since my last MOT. So, I've had to SORN the bike and source a red tail light and new rear indicators. Tax was up today too. I'm in a bad mood today.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Bike Failed MOT

Post by Kwacky »

Ouch.

I thought the rule about rear indicator spacing has been in place for some time? I know it's been discussed before on other forums.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Could you not have left the tail light as it was and disconnected the indicating part of it? My mate just failed his mot for not having the pillion pegs attached.
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Post by Tuffers »

DaytonAndy wrote:Could you not have left the tail light as it was and disconnected the indicating part of it? My mate just failed his mot for not having the pillion pegs attached.
I could've disconnected the indicating part if I'd known beforehand that it would fail. The thing is I was unaware that it was illegal. Last years MOT was fine, I rang the last place I got it MOT'd at and they said the new rule has come in since my last test. How the feck was I to know it is now illegal :@

On a side note mine has no pillion pegs on it and that wasn't flagged.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Tuffers wrote:
DaytonAndy wrote:Could you not have left the tail light as it was and disconnected the indicating part of it? My mate just failed his mot for not having the pillion pegs attached.
I could've disconnected the indicating part if I'd known beforehand that it would fail. The thing is I was unaware that it was illegal. Last years MOT was fine, I rang the last place I got it MOT'd at and they said the new rule has come in since my last test. How the feck was I to know it is now illegal :@

On a side note mine has no pillion pegs on it and that wasn't flagged.
My MOT guy pulled me for integrated indicators three years ago. To be fair to him he handed me two bulbs, some wire, gaffer tape and suggested I go out side and wire something up. Top bloke!

The pillion pegs have to be fitted if you have a rear seat fitted. If you fit a seal cowl you don't need them for the MOT, as I found out this year!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't know that about the pillion pegs.
Hondaboy63
Your Bike: S1000rr x 2.

Post by Hondaboy63 »

Ive had integrated rear light for 4 years. I have not been failed a mot, with my current garage, when the law came out several years ago, my normal garaged failed me. I then took it to another garage. Its is based on braking and indicating, and the visibility of the indicator. I classed it on the view point i indicate before i brake, giving the vehicle behind pre emptive notification of my intentions to turn.
****, I've been behind cars that don't indicate.
Highway code informs you that you need to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
Whats the problem here?????.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm pretty certain there is supposed to be a minimum distance between the indicators
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I'm pretty certain there is supposed to be a minimum distance between the indicators
I used to have integrated indicators on the D6 all those years ago, and they failed me because of this.

I got some car side repeaters, I think they where from a mondeo, and mounted them on the undertray. That was enough to pass the mot.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

They do indeed now need to be a minimum distance apart.
Fwiw although I have an integrated rear, I have disconnected the indicating connections and installed some mini indicators instead.:
This was not actually down to the legal requirement.:
I followed a mate riding my bike once, and realised that the integrated indicators were so close together that it would not be immediately apparent to a vehicle behind. Primarily I don't want to give any errant driver even the suggestion on an excuse for not knowing my indicated intentions that I display to them.

Besides mini indicators can actually look quite ok IMHO.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yep I was told by a garage they were illegal to. I quickly changed them back to the correct ones then had my bike nicked!! Pointless activity!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I followed a 2015 Fireblade with integrated indicators the other day.

Frankly in terms of what they are supposed to do which is show other road users that you were turning or pulling out, they were absolute shite. Personally i would class them as a danger to your own safety.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:I followed a 2015 Fireblade with integrated indicators the other day.

Frankly in terms of what they are supposed to do which is show other road users that you were turning or pulling out, they were absolute shite. Personally i would class them as a danger to your own safety.
(nod) Precisely my point mate.