Helmet recommendations

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Helmet recommendations

Post by Rossgo »

Hi guys

So looking back my lid is almost 4 years old and it's falling apart!

It's a Nexx XR1R Carbon. I love the lid very comfy, prefect fit, very light, well ventilated and pretty quiet for a sporty type lid. BUT like I say it's falling apart now and has been for the past year. I have considered the new NEXX as the price is spot on and I know it's going to fit well etc. The downsides of this is I have asked around and have heard the build quality once again just isn't there and I know the more mainstream lids (HJC, AGV, SHOEI etc) have the funding that make lids almost bullet proof where things won't fall off!!

So leads me onto the main question, in the next few months (maybe Jan) I'll be looking for a new lid.

What should I go for?

This lid has got to be well ventilated for those hot days but also have slider covers for the winter for Street use.
I'm not fussed but a sun visor pulling down as I would have a tinted visor as well for whatever lid I would have and I try not to ride in the dark.
Quietness is a added bonus however I always use plugs.
A paint job isn't essential just a added bonus as long as it's not racing related as I know very little about the racers and am certainly no Rossi!!!
I'd like it to be as light as possible so I'm thinking carbon again if in budget.
It's got to look good - please no hip open faced lid where I could smoke cigarettes while riding...this just isn't me Image Image

Just looking for ideas - please point me in the right direction so I know what I should be going to shops to try on and then hopefully shop around for good deals etc.

To be honest I'm itching for a new lid as my NEXX is now looking shabby and want a change

Price

I'd be happy to go up to around £350

This is the new NEXX that I was considering but it's just not up to the job when I know that other manufacturers can build a better lid

http://www.formotorbikes.com/nexx-xr2-carbon-pure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for any help
Jack
Your Bike:

Re: Helmet recommendations

Post by Jack »

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I do like the look of that Jack. That's a good price for that lid
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

HJC are good.

Spend an hour in a good shop and find one that fits. A good fitting £100 lid could be better for your head than a £350 one that doesn't.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I do agree Kwacky. I really need to go out and take a look. But I'm after ideas of what I could look for, I realise a lot of guys have bought lids recently including yourself so suggestions are welcomed.

MY NEXX I picked up completely blind and turned out to be the best lid I've ever tried. It started off a bit tight but then as I used it more and more the pads gave way and moulded to my head, it really is a great comfy lid and still is now lol!! It's just the fact it's braking apart which doesn't look good I've had enough of glueing it back together again lol
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I use Nolan for commuting. Good fit, good ventilation, decent warmth in winter, no leaks when it rains and the price is good. They usually have a sun visor in them and they use pinlock.

I tend to replace my commuting lid every 18 to 24 months. It's more about use than age as far as I'm concerned. I've got a Roof lid that's 5 years old but I rarely wear it, I wouldn't think about replacing it.

With the Nolan lids they've got a side pod you can use for bluetooth communications.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/257945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I had a Nexx the same as yours as my first helmet. The quality of it is nowhere near my new Shoei NXR. There are some very good deals on the HJC 10+ at the moment as the new one is out. I tries on an x-lite at the nec which was very nice too.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Kwacky for the link very good price for a very good lid.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Andy - yes I agree the quality isn't up there yet with the NEXX I'm sure they will be at some point.
I need a change and like the ideas you guys come up with
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Suomy for me.....light as can be and never had a problem with them other than spare shields can be pricey, but 'Bob Heath Visors' or whatever on your side of the water does some very nice replacements at a fair price.

Oh....and they crash well...better than I do, at least.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

I've got one of these. The only bad thing is the wind noise, but it's bearable with ear plugs.

StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

TonyB wrote:I've got one of these. The only bad thing is the wind noise, but it's bearable with ear plugs.

I like the way he's got (what appears to be) a proper helmet in the shopping basket i=on the front of the bike. Presumably wouldn't want to wear it in case he fell off & damaged his best helmet.?

Re the OP, it's a shame you didn't go to the bikeshow Rossgo.: You could have spent all day trying on every type of lid to see what suited you best, and compare them side by side.

There are some really good deals out there , but will be probably even more through the Christmas & New Year period.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

TonyB wrote:I've got one of these. The only bad thing is the wind noise, but it's bearable with ear plugs.

Image this is superb!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

StMarks wrote:

I like the way he's got (what appears to be) a proper helmet in the shopping basket i=on the front of the bike. Presumably wouldn't want to wear it in case he fell off & damaged his best helmet.?

Re the OP, it's a shame you didn't go to the bikeshow Rossgo.: You could have spent all day trying on every type of lid to see what suited you best, and compare them side by side.

There are some really good deals out there , but will be probably even more through the Christmas & New Year period.
Yes mate I really wanted too but just didn't have the time to see it due to other things planned. It's a shame really as it would of been ideal time to check out some lids and try to haggle the prices!!
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Have the Jamaican bobsled team moved over to biking???

I doubt it, but it'd be great if they did.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

FYI there's a lid just been posted up on 675.cc Rossgo. https://www.675.cc/675/threads/shoei-x- ... ium.31592/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

StMarks wrote:FYI there's a lid just been posted up on 675.cc Rossgo. https://www.675.cc/675/threads/shoei-x- ... ium.31592/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers StMarks. I think at the moment it's a tad early but thank you for taking a look
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

HJC or Shoei for me.

Arai cannot be matched for comfort but their helmets are too expensive and too heavy. AGV don't fit my head, nor do Shark or Scorpion

HJC ventilation is amazing and it fits me slightly better than the Shoei. The RPHA10 I have is a very good helmet indeed.

CRASH TEST:
My mate came off from vertical on a trackday (someone wiped his front wheel out) and ended up with broken limbs etc etc. He didn't have concussion and was completely with it throughout despite his top vents taking the brunt of the hit. The wheel used to open/close the vent was broken but the vent kept its shape and completely protected his head. After seeing that I am more than confident in my helmet
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The HJC is good but I can't wear it when it's cold, there's no warmth in it at all.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:FYI there's a lid just been posted up on 675.cc Rossgo. https://www.675.cc/675/threads/shoei-x- ... ium.31592/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that and thought it was a bargain for a helmet of that calibre.