What bike should i get then....?

The news and your views about biking
Cornish
Your Bike: BMW RnineT

What bike should i get then....?

Post by Cornish »

Morning, I hope all is well in your worlds.

OK, I MIGHT have to trade in the RC8 to help pay for the ‘fecking’ extension, hopefully not, YET £2k from the sale of my RC8 will pay for the bathroom (BORING!!! |-) ).

It would be only for 4-6 months and then back onto the Superbikes (maybe 899 Panigali or 848 Ducati) or something similar as I’m thinking of going down some CC’ as you can never (nor do/can in) use all that power on the roads.

Something to consider is I’m loving commuting on the bike, speed, ease, time, fun etc. so whatever bike I consider I would be taking this into account, hence when I finish the extension and can buy something very nice again, that’s what I will be thinking about.

So, onto the options, my final decision will be driven by saving some money to put into the extension fund, a budget of around the £3.5k - £4k maximum may be available after I’ve sold the RC8.

Take into account that it needs to be comfortable, practical, does the distance, good MPG (yeah right (rolf) ) and take the luggage whilst still having some fun. So no 675’s or 600 sports bikes, although maybe a slightly older R1 perhaps…? Contradiction i know, however I’m not short after all!

I’m looking at these two options below:-
Yamaha XT660Z – I’ve been looking at this for some time as a commuter, and having ridden my mate Doffy’s ‘The Tiger’ the other weekend I can see the appeal of riding this kind of bike
KTM Duke 690 – bit more a rebel bike, yet can keep the pace

NO DECSIONS have been made either way chaps, yet I wanted to canvas your opinions on what I should go for.

Let the debate commence…J

Cornish
Carpe De Pasty

Veni - Vidi - Vici (I came, I saw, I Conquered)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What bike should i get then....?

Post by Kwacky »

If you're only going to keep it for a few months and don't want to go mental with the cash then look at some of the older triumphs. A Daytona 955i or Tiger. Or how about something like a TRX850, zzr1100, zx12r, Aprilia Tuono or something like that. You can get a lot of bike for £3k.

Isn't the Duke limited in range due to the small tank?
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Kwacky wrote:If you're only going to keep it for a few months and don't want to go mental with the cash then look at some of the older triumphs. A Daytona 955i or Tiger. Or how about something like a TRX850, zzr1100, zx12r, Aprilia Tuono or something like that. You can get a lot of bike for £3k.

Isn't the Duke limited in range due to the small tank?
Some good suggestions there Kwacky, I'll have a look at them.

Yet, as always, one has to manage the Doris's expectations, hence I'm thinking if i got a semi-new/nice bike i could keep that AND get another new/newer one as well. The garage can fit two bikes in it after all.... 8)
Carpe De Pasty

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There's always the trusty VFR as well. But I think they're a bit boring.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Kwacky wrote:There's always the trusty VFR as well. But I think they're a bit boring.
Hmm, yeah i hear you Kwacky, yet like you say there are loads out there sir for £3k-£4k... (y)

The summer is coming and i do want to have fun as well, as although i say it only needs to last a few months, i bet it will end up begin until Xmas :|

So, do i try an older R1? GSXR 750? Tiger? oh the list could take all day
Carpe De Pasty

Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

What about something like a Kawasaki z1000, the faired version, very sporty and yet plenty practical.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Cavetroll87 wrote:What about something like a Kawasaki z1000, the faired version, very practical and yet plenty practical.
Nice suggestion, i'll take a look, i hadn't though of that.

I'm quite liking the nakeds at the moment too
Carpe De Pasty

Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Feck me, just sell the wife and be done with it!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Monty wrote:Feck me, just sell the wife and be done with it!
Monty, you know my Doris, as if that is going to happen!

It has crossed my mind though friend... (angel)
Carpe De Pasty

Cornish

Post by Cornish »

Kwacky....now theres an idea, Speed Triple.....Yet i did have one on lone when the fork seals went on my 675 and it's a big old beast, i'll put it on the list though fella!
Carpe De Pasty

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

If those two bikes are your faves, I'd buy the duke 690. I test rode one last year. I've never giggled so much on a bike or been unafraid of any corners. It's so light and clickable.

I'll post my test ride in the next reply.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

I was taking the RC8 for its 3 year service today to Redline in Loughborough, so enquired about a test ride while i was there. They had a few demo bikes, but it was the 690 Duke i specifically wanted to try.

I'm after a bike thats the polar opposite to the RC8 for A and B road fun and nipping to the shops etc and is fairly lightweight.

The 690 Duke has been around for a while now and it's interesting as its a single cylinder bike and thus very light. The 2013 model has been updated and now has ride by wire, abs and a slipper clutch, so i was keen to try it.

I dropped the RC off and did all the paperwork etc and got the keys, told to put some fuel in and off i went. Sat on it - very upright and incredibly light - does this thing have an engine? Start her up - dug dug dug dug dug....hmmm not sure about this - is it too light?

Anyway off into Loughborough - feels a bit like a scoot - weird riding position (i'd been on the RC for an hour before) and pottered to the petrol station. Its like a BMX with an engine in it. Good in town, but i needed to get my head round the big differences. Off through the suburbs and out onto the twisties toward Melton.

Drop a couple of cogs and overtake into the national speed limit - feck me! This thing is manoeuvrable! Adjust riding style and start revving it and every corner becomes balls out knee sticking out corner fest! This thing is so light (less than 150kg without fuel and all at the bottom) and relatively powerful - nearly 70bhp but feels more as its SO light!

I've never ridden a bike so chuckable and turnable. Its a dosile as anything in town - light clutch, easy gears, perfect fuelling (y).

Put it into bends at ANY speed and it will go round them, overtakes well enough and gives me so much confidence i've turned into a hooligan within 5 miles. It wheelies over crests without prompting (rock) and sounds reasonable. It needs a decent can on it, but easily fixable. It overtakes well and you just need to remember it revs to 9500 rpm.

70 miles later (knackered :)) i stop for a sausage bap and coffee.. The roads around loughborough are fantastic.

Here is a few shots:

(note the coffee and bap - fantastic)
ImageImage

I'm really impressed. Wind blast - not much - i reckon it'll do over 120mph easily and quite quickly.

Build quality is usual excellent KTM standards. I'd change the can to something louder (they do an Akra) and firm up the suspension a little for my weight. I'd also make the seat slightly bigger so you can sit back a little more and it pushes you towards the tank, but it does steer mainly on the front.

Slipper clutch and ABS to hammer into corners, good lightweight rorty power round and out the other side, while managing not to wheelie (giggle) - whats not to like?

I want to try a Ducati Hypermotard as well, but its got to work hard to make me grin like this one did.

A nice suprise on a superb Friday morning. I didnt want to give it back tbh.

I then got back to the dealers to discover i need a new back tyre (the RC eats tyres - 1500 miles (wasntme)) and slightly warped disks - hey ho. Online shopping here we come.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

C00kiemonster - i recall reading this review at the time and thinking that sounds a hell of a bike for the money...thank you for re-posting. (clap)

See, i like the look and performance of the 690, it's definitely No2. on the list at the moment!
- I'd best start looking at Biketrader then, do they do an R version?
- And yes, a different exhaust would have to be bought for sure!
- Man, i can see this going over my budget already...:-)

Another thing, how much do you reckon my RC8 is worth as you have one too? It was £7.5k in Sept. when i bought it and i've pathetically only covered 600 miles on it since owing it! ;(

Its a 2008 model, just gone over 7k miles, white and black, has a couple of marks on it, yet overall its in great condition as others on here have seen it and will confirm I'm sure. The previous owner looked after it and its had the following modifications:-
- Full Akrapovic titanium exhaust with removable baffle
- HM quick shifter
- KTM power part rear sets with Akropovic carbon heal guards
- KTM power part flip up levers
- KTM power part remote brake adjuster
- KTM power part progressive throttle
I've got all the original parts and exhaust as well.

As i'm now thinking a trade in for a second hand 690 and some cash back, hoping for a minimum of £2k

Views?
Carpe De Pasty

Cornish

Post by Cornish »

COOkiemonster i've found this one...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carpe De Pasty

C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cornish wrote:C00kiemonster - i recall reading this review at the time and thinking that sounds a hell of a bike for the money...thank you for re-posting. (clap)

See, i like the look and performance of the 690, it's definitely No2. on the list at the moment!

Another thing, how much do you reckon my RC8 is worth as you have one too? It was £7.5k in Sept. when i bought it and i've pathetically only covered 600 miles on it since owing it! ;(

Its a 2008 model, just gone over 7k miles, white and black, has a couple of marks on it, yet overall its in great condition as others on here have seen it and will confirm I'm sure. The previous owner looked after it and its had the following modifications:-
- HM quick shifter

As i'm now thinking a trade in for a second hand 690 and some cash back, hoping for a minimum of £2k

Views?
They do do an R version of the duke :)

The Akra on its own is worth over £1000 on your RC. Thought about putting a standard exhaust back on and sell the Akra? It might help you pay for renovations and keep the bike?

I reckon you might get £6-7k. It's the right time of year, but might be better to trade in? Depends how quickly you want the dosh IMO.
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cornish wrote:COOkiemonster i've found this one...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice. They do older ones if you need to clear 2k, they have been making them for at least 5 years in one form or another.
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Cornish wrote:C00kiemonster - i recall reading this review at the time and thinking that sounds a hell of a bike for the money...thank you for re-posting. (clap)

- HM quick shifter

Views?
They do do an R version of the duke :)

The Akra on its own is worth over £1000 on your RC. Thought about putting a standard exhaust back on and sell the Akra? It might help you pay for renovations and keep the bike?

I reckon you might get £6-7k. It's the right time of year, but might be better to trade in? Depends how quickly you want the dosh IMO.
Thats good advice COOkiemonster - i was thinking of removing the exhaust and the Quick Shifter to sell separately as my experience is that they never take that into account when i trade in, yet use the extras as a selling point when advertising it themselves!

I'm not in a major rush for the monies, so can afford to wait for the sunny days to arrive. Hmm, 690R sounds interesting, yet maybe too expensive to keep things within budget though. Hey , there maybe someone out there who's bought one and doesn't get on with it and is willing to take a hit second hand though... (rock)

I got caught looking at the 690 by the Doris, upon which she said "WTF are you doing looking at new bikes you (swear) ..." yet once i explained what i was doing she changed her tune and said "Well, you might not have to sell your bike baby, yet i love the look of that one, isn't it a bit small for you though, why not look at the bigger one instead.." (headband) man, they change their tune more than i change pants!
Carpe De Pasty

C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

I'd have a 690 duke like a shot, but don't want to get rid of the RC8 and I've just spent a load on a new car so can't justify it (giggle). Jane would kill me :(
Cornish

Post by Cornish »

C00kiemonster wrote:I'd have a 690 duke like a shot, but don't want to get rid of the RC8 and I've just spent a load on a new car so can't justify it (giggle). Jane would kill me :(
Perhaps we get a job lot deal on graves... 8)
Carpe De Pasty