D675 Stator (weird heat/electrical issues)

The news and your views about biking
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

D675 Stator (weird heat/electrical issues)

Post by wazza675 »

Following on from my heat/electrical thread on the 'old' Slap pages, I've now got another reg rec but it seems I didn't need to. I dropped the sensitivity of the multimeter (yes I'm new to electrical testing!!) and picked up resistance pos-neg and neg-pos, whereas before I only read one. The numbers were very similar between the two FH012 mosfet units as well. The second one I picked up came from a newer model 675 that I assume was only damaged when it was broken for parts.
I'll obviously need to to test the system again when it's hot and I'll do that when I burn in the heat wrap I've applied to the mid pipe.

So that leads to some other questions?
Are there any other stators compatible with the Triumph one that I can substitute?
Should I get an AC voltage increase from the stator when the bike is revved (and what range)? (youtube clips seems to suggest this...)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: D675 Stator (weird heat/electrical issues)

Post by StMarks »

Hi Wazza675,
I believe you do get an increased voltage when the engine is revved.
Have you tried posting the dilemma on http://www.675.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mate?
There are some members on there who are exceptionally clued up on the Triumph 675.
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

I'm on triumph675.net and there are plenty of users that tart between forums including the triumph rat pages.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthr ... ight=fh008

So with further testing, I'm more confused than ever.
Firstly I bought another mosfet reg-rec, wrapped the exhaust mid pipe in 'titanium' fibreglass type wrap (to reduce heat) and made a new bracket to relocate the reg-rec (away from the back of the engine, and now under the battery tray).

New reg rec location:

Simply because it was easy and relatively cheap (AU$70), I've sourced a second mosfet R/R (another FH012) and these are the diode resistance test results. (Note: I discovered there is another setting on the multimeter that allows for more sensitivity - sorry, I'm new at this!!).
Results:
Current R/R fitted:
Pos Lead, Neg Terminal 464 - 477 - 468
Neg Lead, Pos Perminal 108 - 107 - 107
(nil results for pos/pos and neg/neg)
Second R/R:
Pos Lead, Neg Terminal 488 - 481 - 487
Neg Lead, Pos Perminal 113 - 113 - 113
(nil results for pos/pos and neg/neg)

Stator:
Diode resistance test: 0.5 between all terminals.
~30Vac @ 2,000 rpm (between all terminals)
~90Vac @ 5,000 rpm (between all terminals)
It did however jump a bit as it was hard to hold at 5k.

I did notice a very different engine note when the stator was plugged in. It sounded like the engine wanted to rev more freely when it was unplugged.

Battery:
Manufacture date/code: MB051212 (MotoBatt 05/12/12 DMY??)
Voltage when the stator was unplugged before any other tests were done or the bike warmed up, 12.5V. The battery hasn't been on the Optimate charger as yet.
I then ran the bike till I got 6 bars of temp and the fan started to kick in.
Voltages were: Off - 13.0, Ign - 12.8 and running 13.9 (to 14.2 depending on which time I tested it).

I don't believe I got the bike anywhere near as hot as the trackday to simulate the heat (unfortunately), although it was hot enough to trigger the fan which has been set at 100 degrees C.
I did re-tape some of the wires underneath, and straightened the R/R pig-tail loom when I remounted it under the battery tray. Maybe all that was simply enough to solve the problem, along with reducing the heat from the exhaust mid-pipe, as I couldn't replicate the problems I had at the track.

One positive that has come out of this, is after cracking the sads over trying to lift the tank and disconnect everything for the 100th time, I've made a little bracket that holds the tank high enough that you can get in there to disconnect or reconnect everything. In fact, it's stable enough to move the bike around without any concern of the tank falling off!! (BTW the peg will be replaced with a 120mm bolt once I get to the fasteners store.)

But I digress...

Any more suggestions, other than taking off the engine case to look at the stator itself?
MotoBatt batteries don't seem to have a very good name, maybe it's on the way out already... .

I thought I'd post here as well knowing there were many D600.org refugees and D675 owners, and some still remember who I am!!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

wazza675 wrote:
MotoBatt batteries don't seem to have a very good name, maybe it's on the way out already... .
Great, I've just bought one for my kwak.

I'm at a loss with the electrics. Not everyone from the old site has moved over yet so I guess you might have to wait unless Cookie can help?
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

I did a quick Google search on the battery trying to work out what date format they use to work out the age of the battery. There were plenty of negative comments about them on forums, but I guess you don't often see positive things written. I'm now considering an SSB lithium ion battery but they're AU$140+ postage on ebay (AUS).

I've never been any good with electrics either, that's why I'm tarting around trying to get some answers. On a positive side though, I've been able to work out how to test the relevant components with the multimeter... to a point.

I thought I'd start posting on here as there doesn't seem to be any new threads on the old page...
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:
wazza675 wrote:
Great, I've just bought one for my kwak.

I'm at a loss with the electrics. Not everyone from the old site has moved over yet so I guess you might have to wait unless Cookie can help?
He could at least fly me over there with my multimeter ;)

Wazza, I can't remember - did you try the bike with a different battery? What was the result / feeling?

I've heard moto batt batteries are ok. It's rare to get a new battery that's poor.

Also, plug your battery charger into your battery and run it too. Any difference?
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

I'm still looking after Juz's D6, so I could probably pilfer that for a test.

Not hooked up the Optimate since getting home, but that's another test to be done.

I couldn't replicate the problem (isn't it always the case when you look for mechanical or electrical problems) as I didn't get the bike hot enough. The problem only occured when the bike was very hot, so maybe the wrapped mid pipe and new R/R location may eliminate the heat issue altogether.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk