Donington

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Donington

Post by Kwacky »

When did they stop caring about bike track days?

8 listed for the year. http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/donington_park.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silverstone isn't much better. http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experience ... rack-days/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice Donny has got loads of car track days listed.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Donington

Post by duke63 »

Unfortunately i think the attitude of a small minority of bikers are killing them for bikes.

I was reading on another forum about one of the first days back at mallory.

A group of BSB riders were there. All bikes are noise tested and in view of the recent problems at Mallory you would hope everyone would respect the noise limits. But no, these lot got their bikes passed and then took the baffles out. The noise sensors were tripped on the bridge, which prompted a telling off from the circuit owners and 'advice' not to return ever.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Always some one spoiling it for the rest of us.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

That does take the piss, especially when the circuit organisers will do every favour they can find to make sure you get out on track..

I had one of those favours when I took the RSV to Silverstone, I "passed" the static test and was strongly advised to keep to the far side of the track when coming down the pit straight so as not to trip the noise sensor.

I guess this just will mean a whole new level of strictness, maybe with bikes being pulled while queuing to go on track. All that will do though is add to the cost of running these days.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

Wasn't there a death at Oulton park last year on a track day ? heard track organisers were tightening up on safety for riders, in fact wasn't this on the other Tankslap 1,0 ?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There was and it was.

I think one of the injured riders is suing the organisers.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Stew wrote:Wasn't there a death at Oulton park last year on a track day ? heard track organisers were tightening up on safety for riders, in fact wasn't this on the other Tankslap 1,0 ?
Yeah 5 bike pile up on a blind corner, The thing was that one of the guys involved was suing the track day organisers (wont go into too much detail as dont want to open a can of worms :D ) and it had seemed that a lot of the trackdays being run lately were red flagging almost every incident.

Not sure what it is with Bike trackdays, I had a job interview with MSVT just before Xmas (didnt get it unfortunatley) to run their trackday division and it turns out their bike days are a struggle to make a profit from as oppose to car days which seem to rake it in so can only image thats why Donny and Silverstone arnt running as many. I know I gave them some ideas in my interview as to improve bike days which they seemed to like a lot and behold Ive noticed a few have been taken up such as Open Pitlane events but ah well lol.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I'm surprised msv don't make much money on bike days but do on car days. The car and bike days at Oulton are priced the same at circa £150 per vehicle and I would have thought safety regs allowed more bikes on track than cars. I'm not. Challenging the fact just saying I'm very surprised at the data.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So was I but as an example they gave me they run plenty of Novice only car days but the bike novice only days they have to run the cars in the free sessions in between the bikes to make it finacially viable. I agree with you in that I would have though bikes would bring in more cash but apparetly not, would have been interesting to find out more but like I said didnt get in lol
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I would guess that insurance cover on a bike day is a lot more than a car day.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Don't cars have to have their own track day insurance?