Motorcycle Garages

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Motorcycle Garages

Post by D6Nutz »

We have plans to move house, and the place we are looking at has no access to the garden. I'm happy with the apart from needing somewhere to keep the bikes.

The driveway has space for 2 cars and a shed / motorcycle garage. Does anyone have an suggestions ?? Security is obviously a key factor as it will be at the front of the house, however I can't afford to go nuts as funds are limited.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Jack
Your Bike:

Re: Motorcycle Garages

Post by Jack »

ground anchor and a decent cover
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I would go one step further and say 2 ground anchors (one for front and rear wheel) and 2 of the best chains money can buy (Almax) and a couple of Xena disc alarms. Plus a good cover...this is coming from 2 bikes being nicked 1 after the other in a very short space of time. Pick all that up for £500 of there abouts!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

What about one of these metal bike containers that are security / insurance approved. I think your looking at £1000.

If funds are less go for decent wooden shed and fit ground anchor and decent chain and alarm the shed.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

No opportunity to buy a house with a garage or space to build one as part of an extension?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

wooden shed (out of site out of mind) and lots of security ,the metal sheds create a lot of condensation
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I think you would be best at looking at a brick built structure.

I doubt you would find a metal one that would house two bikes and as Perkles points out, condensation is a big problem with them.

A wooden shed would work but i think you would need a substantial build quality to it as wood is not much of a defence to a determined thief.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

What a shame about the place, considering all the work you have done with the office/bike hotel at your place. I was suggest the metal ones, various companies do them, or even a proper container, possible eyesore ha ha, would make you popular. I had never considered condensation being an issue.
You could always look at those canvas covers that pull over the bikes with a frame work, and lock up with ground anchors.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Put an advert in the local shops saying that you are looking for a lock up garage local to the intended road, very often you can find an older person with an empty garage that could do with an extra tenner a week for the hire of their garage, you'd probably also have power for a Datatool charger as well.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Deegee wrote:Put an advert in the local shops saying that you are looking for a lock up garage local to the intended road, very often you can find an older person with an empty garage that could do with an extra tenner a week for the hire of their garage, you'd probably also have power for a Datatool charger as well.
That's an idea, hadn't thought of that.

I'd looked at the metal garages, a mate had a metal shed years back for his bike and it really suffered with condensation. I'm leaning towards another wooden shed with an alarm, and ground anchor.
Frankie wrote:What a shame about the place, considering all the work you have done with the office/bike hotel at your place..
I know mate, but the shed adds a lot of value to the house. The house we are looking at has a shed, but it may well be replaced with the bike hotel as above, and then a man cave in the garden.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade

Post by Blade »

If money is tight the shed (out of site) plus a chain and ground anchor are your best option.

If space and future budget allow a brick built garage is your best option and will add value and sales appeal to the property.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

You could also fit one of those metal security post in front of the shed door for extra security.

http://www.barriersdirect.co.uk/parking-posts-c1087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

I have one of those but don't see the point putting one in front of a shed you would just smash the wood door past it.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I would strengthen the door with some flat steel bar.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I like the look of the hoop ones, much harder to break a door through, especially if you reinforce the doors.

Thanks for that link, deffo worth considering.

Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:I would strengthen the door with some flat steel bar.
Fait point but pointless reinforcing only part of a shed IMO. Reinforce the door and they'll just kick the end panel in. And if you reinforce every panel you might as well build a metal or brick structure.

Shed is a good security deterrent but only that it keeps things out of sight. Best thing for a shed is surround with hedges and alike to make access awkward.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

You can only ever really deter the casual thief sadly.
Blade

Post by Blade »

True and I think that's all you should consider defending against as if you make it too difficult and the professional theives have targeted you then my fear would be you or your family become potentially threatened or endangered as the scumbags are determined there getting your bike nicked to order.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I think I'm kind of happy with the fact the garage will look nothing more than a shed to the casual passer by. The road we are looking to move to is a private road so not many passers by. I would also be looking to put a fence down the front of the drive to hide the shed a bit more, there would also be two cars on the drive which would block access to it.

All that combined with an alarm and decent lock should be enough. I also think that the bikes are now so old that they wouldn't make it onto a steal to order list.

Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »