What's your best biking moment

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

What's your best biking moment

Post by Blade »

So come on then everyone what's your best biking experience ever ?

Could be anything, first track day, first wheelie, passing your test, buying your dream machine, riding trip, knee down. Absolutely anything just your best biking memory or moment.

Mine is probably earlier this year riding the B500 with Duke and Bratty and getting my knee down with full luggage fitted. Although meeting Loris Capirossi in his garage at mugello motogp just before qualifying was pretty special. He was second in fp4 and when I asked if he was up for pole he winked and said he had something left in the bank for pole, I'll never forget that conversation.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Re: What's your best biking moment

Post by bb41 »

Probably for me in 1999, finally getting back on two wheels after a lengthy lay off due to the kids and money etc . I took a refresher course as bikes had changed in the few years I'd not ridden and bought my Honda 600f.
I went to Birdlip hill as my first solo ride and it was amazing.

The worst was probably in 1982 when I'd just past my bike test knowing I had to bike to work through the winter and couldn't afford to do my car test . Oh how I envied everyone that winter in nice warm cars and the following one after that .

Hence the fair weather biker syndrome I have now
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Dunno. Being shown the lines around Pembrey by a young Bradley Smith?

Or chasing a IAM Instructor, overtaking him then having a 15 mile race with him on my zx6r.

Then he told me had to stop because he's lost his pupil :D
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I always think I haven't had my best moment yet :)
Si.
Your Bike: fireblade

Post by Si. »

First time i ever went abroad on the bike.

Fab feeling to hit the best roads ever, and gets better every year. It's not just the roads, it's the bonding with the lads too, the meals and the drinks.

fantastic.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

So many great moments, but if I had to pick one I'd say the Alps with Maz and Critch in 2010
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Losing the inspector on my bike test but then being given a pass.
Getting my left knee down at craners (talk)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I am with Cookie on this, I don't think I have had it yet.
But two moments that do make me smile when I think about it.
1) my first ever proper race on a motorcross bike, had been messing about for a while when a mate said lets go racing.
Awesome fun really loved it, long time ago now, but still makes me smile.
2) meeting an x, but now a very good friend. I was on the Kr1s - riding at a million miles an hours everywhere lol, saw her, pulled her over, asked her out.... A great moment in my life. Lol
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

My best biking moment started when I turned up at the training ground to start my direct access training, it's continued from there really..

8)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

To date it's the Euro trip this year. Riding abroad on a big trip like that is what biking should be all about.

Great roads, meeting great people from different countries, seeing places I had only seen photos of and the camaraderie of a big trip with great mates.

Other highlights have been riding on track and getting my kneedown.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I did 9 yrs of off-road riding in between road bikes and one of my most memorable moments off road was with a bunch of mates spending the day at a private motorcross track. The back straight had a big steep jump. I'd (and most other guys) had been hitting it in 2 and getting more than enough air for our abilities. Later in the day a mate and I got into a race and I hit the jump in third and not slowly. I really thought I was screwed. I remember having plenty of time in the air to think about it. Front started to dive, and after initial panic remembered to rev the bike, lifted the front, but too much. Tapped the rear brake and the bike landed perfectly. I then proceeded to run off the track into a creek cause I was just that surprised I'd landed it.

Went back to our pit area and a mate that raced motorcross and was a full gun said 'that was pretty good air mate, I seriously thought you were f**ked!'

I'll never jump a bike that high again in my life.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

So far....two spring to mind......one was destroying a pack of "Long Beach Assassin" gaylords on Glendora Ridge Road...those biker clubs are such a waste of space....and they get pissed off really quickly.....I'm not a particularly fast rider, but those guys & gals just sucked.

Second would be a trackday last year at Willow.....I took Turn 5 and it felt just perfect....then an instructor pulled up next to me on 7 and gave me a big thumbs up......I tracked him down in pitlane. and he was "You're predictable, your lines are spot-on, and your braking is excellent....don't worry about more speed, it will come with practice".....very nice of him to say that.

Then he started babbling and I got bored and left.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I have lots of memories on the bike that when i think back i get all giddy and smile to my self i can not say any are the best.

I have LOVED getting back on a bike this year and for me it has been epic taking the zx to track at mallory and riding round wales. Dont want to sound cheesy but thanks to the people on tankslap i have had some epic times this year and i hope they just get better and better.....
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I'm not sure tbh, I'd like to think it was going past a certain Mr Doohan on a track day (he was just warming up btw), but for sheer exhilaration it was the first time I really opened up my old GS750 and redlined it through every gear, I screaming in my lid- that the wind was trying to rip off, that feeling of barely in control and the massive adrenalin rush that came with it has never been repeated, I've come close but never bettered it.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I'm with Blade and Duke that was an epic tour
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Deegee wrote:I'm not sure tbh, I'd like to think it was going past a certain Mr Doohan on a track day (he was just warming up btw), but for sheer exhilaration it was the first time I really opened up my old GS750 and redlined it through every gear, I screaming in my lid- that the wind was trying to rip off, that feeling of barely in control and the massive adrenalin rush that came with it has never been repeated, I've come close but never bettered it.

(allhail) going past Doohan (allhail)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Blade wrote:
Deegee wrote:I'm not sure tbh, I'd like to think it was going past a certain Mr Doohan on a track day (he was just warming up btw), but for sheer exhilaration it was the first time I really opened up my old GS750 and redlined it through every gear, I screaming in my lid- that the wind was trying to rip off, that feeling of barely in control and the massive adrenalin rush that came with it has never been repeated, I've come close but never bettered it.

(allhail) going past Doohan (allhail)
He came past me half a lap later like I was on a pushbike, and I had nothing left - the exhaust, brake lever and my boot were on the floor. If ever I needed reminding just how ridiculously fast these guys are it was right then. It was an unreal moment seeing those leathers on a bike on track with me, he's a nice guy too. Respect Mr Doohan. (allhail)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I was knee down at Craners when Haslam Snr and Jnr came past me at about 3 times the speed, whilst dad and son were looking at each other pointing out key points on the corner.

I almost cried in my lid.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

And that's your best biking moment?? Jeez, the rest of your rides must be shite.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:And that's your best biking moment?? Jeez, the rest of your rides must be shite.
(n)

Things mean different things to different people, one of the most pivotal moments in my life in the last 5 yrs would have past as a everyday moment for everyone around me at that time.

It doesn't have to be adrenlian pumping to be memorable.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.