Electronic damper
Launch control
Traction control

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ06T0tJ_k8#t=35[/video]
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Kawasaki H2 Electronics

Post by Blade »

Impressive and seems par for the course now.

One neat gadget I have seen on the new S1000rr is it records your actual lean angle real time on the display and you can also recover the maximum lean angle achieved from memory so plenty of discussion and pub bragging points there, haha.

Another neat feature is the pitlane limiter. Imagine riding down the high street with the akrapovic race can bubbling and banging away. It would sound awesome and be hilariously funny all the strange looks you got.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The engine brake control system sounds intriguing.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Technology is becoming so advanced in bikes these days which is great but I can't help but think if anything breaks down where would you start with problem solving and fixing. The days of diy servicing or even independent mechanics must surely becoming to an end, the bikes are so high tech these days no body but factory trained technicians with the correct equipment and detailed knowledge are going to be able to work on them soon.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

People have been saying that for a while now about cars.

Manufacturers will continue to offer a range of bikes, some with less tech on them.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

That's a nice set of clocks! Blade that lean angle monitor would end up getting me in trouble lol. You thinking of getting a new bike?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I agree but sportsbikes specifically are becoming so high tech their more comparable to high end sports cars like Ferrari or Lamborghini than regular cars or even hot hatches. How many focus's or Astra's even the hot hatch versions come with power modes, tc, race abs, electronic engine braking assist, adaptive suspension, electronic steering dampers, pit lab limiters, quick shifters, launch control etc.....

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its the end of independent mechanics but bikes like H2R and HP4 are shifting the balance to specific dealer servocnge and probably then only by their senior master technician who has been approved and trained on all the relevant courses.
Blade

Post by Blade »

DaytonAndy wrote:That's a nice set of clocks! Blade that lean angle monitor would end up getting me in trouble lol. You thinking of getting a new bike?
I do but I also want to buy a second car this year and can't justify blowing so much cash as the car will set me back a lot and the bikes I like are £10-150000. Had a conversation with the missus about it and her advice was get the bike and buy the car next year, haha.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

buy a shit car. Problem solved.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Blade wrote:
DaytonAndy wrote:That's a nice set of clocks! Blade that lean angle monitor would end up getting me in trouble lol. You thinking of getting a new bike?
I do but I also want to buy a second car this year and can't justify blowing so much cash as the car will set me back a lot and the bikes I like are £10-150000. Had a conversation with the missus about it and her advice was get the bike and buy the car next year, haha.
Agree with the Mrs. Cars are too boring unless you spend silly money on them. Get the bike ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I want a 911 and its a childhood dream car. Its an itch I need to scatch and the kids are smaller enough to go in the back for family days out so timing is right at the moment. A new bike would be nice but I have 2 great sportbikes so I'm favouring the car this year tbh with a new bike next year. I'm a sunny weather rider also so a sports car gives me something to do in winter. Imagine a 911 on the Wales run mid week in November when the roads are deserted (raaar)
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Which 911 you thinking of? I do like a turbo!
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I've got the same problem as Blade, Mrs Gees car needs replacing and I need/want another road bike in the same price bracket Blades looking at, however the way I figure it is that I'll be the one that gets the ear bashing if her car isn't right, so in my case it's better to sort that properly first then go bike shopping with a clear conscience. 8-|

That's a nice dash on the H2R, but imho the engine brake is a gimmick, it'll likely be achieved by upping inlet air pressure on the overrun so the engine compression gives more retardation; but, when did a race bike (or a sports bike) ever need more engine braking? It's normal practice to lessen engine braking by giving an artificially high idle speed on race bikes to prevent the rear end getting loose on turn in which is doing the opposite to extra engine braking, similarly even if you are upright and braking heavily before turn in the rear end is barely on the ground and extra engine braking would just make it break away and prevent proper control. I can't see anywhere in the life of a race bike or a highly focused sports bike where extra engine braking would be used to any effect. Am I wrong?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Maybe it reduces the effect of the engine braking?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Good point, but why call it an engine brake? I'm sure they could have come up a suitably daft acronym instead.
Blade

Post by Blade »

DaytonAndy wrote:Which 911 you thinking of? I do like a turbo!
Generations 2 997 (as no IMS shaft problems or bore scoring to worry about) ideally a 2S but would not shy away from a Carrera 2 with the right spec.

A Generation 1 997 Turbo is another consideration but its more money and much more expensive to maintain although I think depreciation could effectively be zero on this car especially the manual as the 997 Turbo is the last turbo available with a manual gearbox, is the generation before the current 991 which has the electronically assisted steering which outrages the purists and collectors and is the last Porsche to have a race engine (3.6 Mezger) fitted in the road car. All features that could make the car collectable / desirable and possibly mean zero depreciation or perhaps values even harden.

Decisions Descisons :?
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Think its time to buy Royal Enfield.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The Panigale had engine braking control 3 years ago. ;)

The engine braking control system (EBC) works in combination with the slipper clutch to prevent and manage any blockage of the rear wheel when aggressively shifting down. If the system detects any slipping of the wheel, it sends a signal to the control device of the engine, which then slightly increases the rpms until the rear wheel resumes a speed conforming to that of the vehicle.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Ducati are very good pioneers and innovators of technology (y)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The D650 had a backlash eliminator :P