Track bike

The news and your views about biking
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Track bike

Post by D6Nutz »

Following on from the tyre thread, I kind of mentioned to Mrs Nutz last night about a track bike. With the backing of no tax / mot / insurance etc it didn't go down too badly.

I've had a quick look round eBay to see what sort of bike I could get. But as I know how much you guys love spending other peoples money I though I would ask here for suggestions..

The ideal budget would be around £1000 but I might consider a bit more for the right bike.
It would have to be a 600 minimum and fully faired (no CB500s, I know they are a good bike jsut not for me)
Must be a main stream manufacturer so parts are cheap and easy to get hold of.

As a starter, I've found this >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-ninj ... 2518.l4276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <<
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Track bike

Post by Kwacky »

I think you'll end up with a total dog at that price. You will probably need to up your budget

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/103222-k ... r-with-v5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/101833-g ... -and-wows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I agree with Kwacky, but you'll find there should be more inexpensive bikes coming up for sale over the coming month or two, at the moment people are still using them, once the weather turns the market should improve for a buyer.

Have you thought about buying a damaged bike from Copart and turning it into a Trackbike over the winter? Building a bike is always more expensive than buying one done, but sometimes it's easier to find money for the parts required over a period of months.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw Deegee has covered both points I was going to mention.

However I believe there are some good bikes around, but I believe you may be better looking at a decent cheap road bike than a "last legs" trackbike that will cost a fortune to replacing all the components that are on the point of failing.
A tatty old Thundercat would be a good bet IMHO http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcyc ... thundercat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:I think you'll end up with a total dog at that price. You will probably need to up your budget

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/103222-k ... r-with-v5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/101833-g ... -and-wows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(f1) I was looking around AUS$3-4000 intially and found exactly what Kwacky said. Lifted my budget a couple of thou and it was a different league. I was just lucky I found one for a great price.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

GSXR 750 was always a popular track tool, I took anything from a VFR400, CBR400 and a GSXR 750 but throw in the cost of a van and all the spares plus cost of track day it became too big a cost for how many I did in a year
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I know what your saying about the budget, but I want to look at this as a throwaway, rather than an investment. I only want to buy something that I can shrug my shoulders and walk away from if needs be.

@Deegee - The copart site looks interesting, the only thing that I can't see is any detailed information on the damage. Do you get any more details as a registered user ??

@StMarks - I think you may be right with the road bike comment, hopefully in a month or so a few more will be coming available. I also like the idea of the thundercat, going to have a look at them now. Although I can't help think of Image when I hear the name... Snarf...

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

I'm not a member of Copart myself, but from what I can glean you have to sign up just to be able to bid and buy, my guess is so they have accurate records of where vehicles are going for legal reasons. I don't think you get anymore details even if you are a member though unfortunately, however I may stand corrected if someone knows better.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

You have to register with them, and pay an annual fee (used to be £ 50.
It entitles you to bid, and enables you to watch the progress of the auctions. It also entitles you to a discount at U-pullit scrapyards.
I let my subscription slide a few years ago.: It's a victim of it's own success in my eyes, in so much as there are are so many global customers that high prices are achieved for almost anything remotely desirable. No bargains to be had there anymore.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I used to be a member of Copart and it was 50.00 to be a member.

I found though that it was more geared to pros who'd buy lots at a time and anything I wanted used to go for silly money and cheaper off ebay
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Just throwing my two pence into the debate. I bought the CBR600 Steelie to use as a track bike, a low cost option, was even road worthy, i.e. taxed etc...
however after taking to Snet, I realised I was spoilt with my RR on track and even though it was fun it was not doing it for me. So it went back to road trim and I sold it.

I took my pride and joy on track again, but was still thinking about a track bike, even if I did Spain once a year and a couple of uk days it would be nice to have the full set up, Bike, WOW, warmers etc. TDR and other such sites have this kind of set up on sale, it is seriously worth looking it this, otherwise it could be false economy.

So I did it, I bought Micks gixer, gave it a good run at Snet, managed to use wet on wheels as it pissed down in the afternoon lol. This is a proper track bike, suspension is top notch, along with all the other bits which could cost you a fortune to do yourself. More than quick enough for me to improve my ability on a bike (hopefully)

I have to say I really enjoyed it, I also really enjoyed being back on a 600... looking forward to the next outing.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Jon, someone in a facebook group is selling a W reg 600 SRAD in yellow for £1,350. 27,000 miles.

Do you want some more details?
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:Jon, someone in a facebook group is selling a W reg 600 SRAD in yellow for £1,350. 27,000 miles.

Didn't realise there were GSXR's in 1981.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Jon, someone in a facebook group is selling a W reg 600 SRAD in yellow for £1,350. 27,000 miles.

Ideally I'd prefer the 750 I think.. I'm going to have a bit of a think about whether to go road conversion or ready to roll track bike.. I've seen some decent looking 750's on eBay and a couple of sorted trackbikes for less than that. There is one on rsvr.net at the moment that ticks a load of boxes, older kwak 600 if they guy wasn't in scotland i would be very tempted.

Deegee

Post by Deegee »

I'd buy that Jockish one quick - they'll impose an export duty next week and you'll have to pay in bottles of whisky as they won't have real money anymore. ;)

Been to Scotland a couple of times for bikes, always good guys tbh.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Deegee wrote:I'd buy that Jockish one quick - they'll impose an export duty next week and you'll have to pay in bottles of whisky as they won't have real money anymore. ;)

He seems like a sound bloke, offered to chuck the bike in his van and meet half way. He didn't know quite how far away I live though (giggle)

Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Drove up to pick my mates newly purchased track bike up from just west of Glasgow, (mate had recently had shoulder surgery), we arrived at midday and they insisted on cooking us a meal. Really nice people and the sort that I'd love to have living next door.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

TL 1000 on Bike Bay ATM
T reg
20000 miles
Hertfordshire
Offers around £900
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

StMarks wrote:

Didn't realise there were GSXR's in 1981.
W reg is year 2000
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

D6Nutz wrote:
Deegee wrote:I'd buy that Jockish one quick - they'll impose an export duty next week and you'll have to pay in bottles of whisky as they won't have real money anymore. ;)

He seems like a sound bloke, offered to chuck the bike in his van and meet half way. He didn't know quite how far away I live though (giggle)
Tell him you live in France and can meet him in Portsmouth
Monty™© MCMLXXII