Textile trousers

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Textile trousers

Post by Kwacky »

I'm looking for something decent for my daily commute. Warmth, waterproofing and protection all required.

Any suggestions?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Textile trousers

Post by Blade »

I believe Rukka are very good but no personal experience.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Have a look at the RST ones, Kwacky. Very good value for money and warm and waterproof.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

duke63 wrote:Have a look at the RST ones, Kwacky. Very good value for money and warm and waterproof.
(f1)

I have a pair of RST ones, they are lovely and warm even with the quilted liner taken out !! (y)
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Which ones have you got?

If I'm going to use textile trousers do I need a BMW as well (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Have you looked into retro fitting some heated grips and perhaps a hot water bottle for under the seat (giggle)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I find pissing myself to be a quicker and easier way to keep warm.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Frank Thomas do some good textile stuff and you can normally get good discounts on them at the big retailers. My last pair got me through 7 years of comuting in all weathers and cost me around 80 quid.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I've got a Frank Thomas textile jacket and trousers I wear for my commute to work, both warm and 100% waterproof, and I paid less than £70 for the both.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I've still got an old set of Belstaff textiles, they're a bit knackered so am interested in the outcome of this. Fwiw I'd stay away from the Wolf kit, I bought a set for my oldest lads birthday a few years back and they showed wear very quickly, the reinforcing material on the crash points seemed to fray very easily.

I've stayed away from RST since I saw a guy crash in their leathers on a TD, his suit fell apart and he was knocked about too much for the crash he had. Has anyone crash-tested their RST kit?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

How long ago was that crash? From what I can make out RST used to have poor stitching but it's really improved recently.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I crash tested mine at slow speed and was really impressed with it, did it's job only thing I had was a hole developed but that was due to having house keys in the pocket, there areas of sliding held up really well, still wear them all the time and no issues with seams or stitching
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

It would be about 5yrs ago, he had a simple low side at about 30mph, the stitching came apart on his forearm, shoulder and hip. He was with a few mates that were parked next to us at Snett, he fell off mid morning, he could barely walk after lunch. Hence I was under the impression the RST stuff was poorly made and had a low level of protection. Hope I'm wrong though, don't like thinking a British company isn't up to snuff on quality etc.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Like I say mate I came off low side at about 30/40 and apart from a scuff on the elbow and side where I went down and the hole caused by my keys they held up brilliantly, dont get me wrong Im sure Astars or Dainese ones would probably hold up to multiple crashes better and the RST stuff is a built more to deal with 1 or 2 crashes but not loads as the dainese gloves I were wearing still look brand new really but Id have no hesitation buying another set as it stands
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Deegee wrote:It would be about 5yrs ago, he had a simple low side at about 30mph, the stitching came apart on his forearm, shoulder and hip. He was with a few mates that were parked next to us at Snett, he fell off mid morning, he could barely walk after lunch. Hence I was under the impression the RST stuff was poorly made and had a low level of protection. Hope I'm wrong though, don't like thinking a British company isn't up to snuff on quality etc.
RST is made in india,same factory as wolf in fact its the same company ,the owner is from South Africa but lives in the UK
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Perkles wrote:
Deegee wrote:It would be about 5yrs ago, he had a simple low side at about 30mph, the stitching came apart on his forearm, shoulder and hip. He was with a few mates that were parked next to us at Snett, he fell off mid morning, he could barely walk after lunch. Hence I was under the impression the RST stuff was poorly made and had a low level of protection. Hope I'm wrong though, don't like thinking a British company isn't up to snuff on quality etc.
RST is made in india,same factory as wolf in fact its the same company ,the owner is from South Africa but lives in the UK
Not all Wolf is made over there just there mass produced stuff, some is still made in Harpers in Southend on Sea in Essex, they custom make all their wolf leathers there at a good price too, they will alter any of their designs for you to be it size, colour anything free of charge, I got my 2 piece suit from them, great quality just the jeans are a bit big for me now after losing a bit of weight but I still use the jacket daily with my dragging jeans to commute in.

http://www.harpers.eu/cat41_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

I bought a really cheap set of textiles from the back of one of the bike magazines probably around 10 years ago, I think the set was around £100 at the time and came with a free pair of gloves too. Best textiles I have ever owned and I forgot the name of the supplier so I had to change brands when they finally needed replacing and was thoroughly disappointed especially by waterproofing of more premium brands. they even held up well in a low speed off with just minimal scuffing.

But this post is no hep to your cause.
Blade

Post by Blade »

A lot of the professional riders I see out riding using Rukka and I guess that's because they are so good but they are expensive so I guess you get what you pay for.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Kwacky wrote:I find pissing myself to be a quicker and easier way to keep warm.
Fine in the short term :)
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rukka isn't cheap. It's like getting a pair of Daytona boots