10%
Yep, but full on window rattlers
62%

Total votes: 21

D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Bit of help needed

Post by D6Nutz »

So, here's the thing. I've been trying to explain the aftermarket exhaust thing to Mrs Nutz and she's not quite getting it.

Those who have heard the RSV with the open cans on it will know that its a "little" on the fruity side, so I've been talking about getting a pair of baffles for it. Mrs Nutz can't understand why I would get some loud cans and then put baffles in, instead of sticking with the standard cans.

I've explained the slight performance gain, better power delivery, yadda yadda. I've also explained that it just sounds better, but she thinks I'm Nutz..

So who else has got after market cans on their current road bike with baffles ??

EDIT: Oh and if you've got more than one bike (envy) choose the one you ride on the road the most.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Bit of help needed

Post by Perkles »

I took my aftermarket can off ,I can be bothered messing with baffles to get past noise limits and it sounded to loud for me.Maybe I'm just getting old but I really prefer it with the oem can,it still measured 101 dba at mallory and sounds pretty good
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I've got a little 600 with a massive cat on the system. You can't hear it regardless.

But the speed triple had an open can and used the baffle on that, otherwise it was too loud and the noise became irritating.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I always have after market cans there an essential mod and HAVE to be done 8) . Pointless trying to explain to a woman they will never get it, its a bloke thing don't even try and justify is my advice.

I remember questioning my missus once in why she will happily spend £70 on a small tube of cream that does feck all IMO and she said why do you spend £150 to go round a field as fast as you can in circles on your bike ??????? Fair comment IMO Blokes and Woman are just different don't mix your bloke sh1t with your Woman sh1t (giggle) .

Back on subject. Get some open cans and forget the baffles. If you have 2 full size exhausts their reasonably quiet even if open. The 2 open cans on the SP are quiter than the tiny single can on the Blade with the baffle in. Different type of sound and the twin sounds nicer and louder but in reality its not.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Have had aftermarkets on all my bikes since I was 22, I just can't be arsed to put one on the Tiger, it just seems a bit pointless tbh, no performance gain etc just more noise, more gag from my neighbours and more attn from the blue meanies for no good reason.
That said there's a good chance I'll be getting some for the next bike, so watch this space. ;)

Btw, have had Blade's conversation with the Mrs re bloke stuff v woman stuff, she didn't get it either. I showed her a pic of a black & gold Ducati 900SS I was lusting over and all I got back was - urgh that's horrible! Mind you, had it been designed by Gaugin or Van Gogh etc she'd have been all over it...
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

When I bought the track bike it was a day before the missus realised it was track only. She came up from the garage and said 'where's the number plate on the new bike?' I said, it's a track bike, doesn't need one. To that I got a rant about how I spent all that money on a bike I can't use properly. Tried to explain the situation was actually the polar, I can use it to it's full potential. She didn't get it. Turns out she thought I was replacing the Daytona with the ZX10, poor disillusioned lass.

If you find a girl that 'gets' bikes, you're a lucky bloke.
Last edited by kiwikrasher on 01 Sep 2014, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Ha ha I used to get " you have only got one arse, why do you need more than one bike" ha ha

Sorry I clicked running standard by mistake, both are aftermarket with baffles out. :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Personally the Multi has the standard can. To change it and make any difference i would need to remove the cat box too which would cause warranty issues were the engine to fail. Having been there once with a blown engine and only just getting that sorted by the skin of my teeth, i just cannot be bothered with the hassle.

The 748 sounds great with the open cans but if it was my main bike i would think twice now as its realistically its too loud for all day use.

I reckon within a few years it will be a moot point anyway as i suspect you wont be able to change exhausts soon.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Frankie wrote:Ha ha I used to get " you have only got one arse, why do you need more than one bike" ha ha
My reply to the fun adjuster is "you've only got one pair of feet, why do you need so many pairs of shoes!!"

I've got an ART Carbon race can on mine without a road legal rivet band.
It burbles nicely on tick over and fruity at revs.

It has no hole for a baffle and it passes the MOT ... Im leaving it on

I havent had the pleasure of following Nutz but heard the cans when you started it a Mallory the once (devil)
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I have an after market can with no baffles and it's not too loud while fitted on to the cat box, there's a few cb1r's with the same zorst but without the cat and just the link pipe and that is very loud.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Blade wrote:I always have after market cans there an essential mod and HAVE to be done 8) . Pointless trying to explain to a woman they will never get it, its a bloke thing don't even try and justify is my advice.

I remember questioning my missus once in why she will happily spend £70 on a small tube of cream that does feck all IMO and she said why do you spend £150 to go round a field as fast as you can in circles on your bike ??????? Fair comment IMO Blokes and Woman are just different don't mix your bloke sh1t with your Woman sh1t (giggle) .

Back on subject. Get some open cans and forget the baffles. If you have 2 full size exhausts their reasonably quiet even if open. The 2 open cans on the SP are quiter than the tiny single can on the Blade with the baffle in. Different type of sound and the twin sounds nicer and louder but in reality its not.
Oy you in the back row (giggle)

I have an Akrapovic the whole system but must get a power commander put on. Been meaning to do it all summer. No baffles and she sounds gawjus (rock)
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Open can all the way ... At the moment the 636 still had the standard can on it as I used that for Mallory. I feel some what vulnerable at the min as I have no lights and a quite bike I would much rather a bit of noise so people may just hear me coming.

Also certain systems / exhaust can be quiet there was a guy at Mallory had a full akra system on his 636 and his db test was low 90's
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

^^^^ This, I have an akra on my 636 but it really isnt that loud even with the baffle out just a deeper tone
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

mine has no road legal BS on it at all , I find it a little bit too loud without the baffle
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I love the sound of aftermarket cans on IL4s they sound awesome screaming away but on my v twin it was just annoying and measured 116 dba ! which is way beyond kill your hearing levels
Blade

Post by Blade »

Frankie wrote:Ha ha I used to get " you have only got one arse, why do you need more than one bike" ha ha

Sorry I clicked running standard by mistake, both are aftermarket with baffles out. :)
Haha :D I think the reverse. When people ask me why I have two sportbikes I say cos there isn't enough room for 3 (giggle)

Same when we looked at a house on a new estate once. I was speaking to the Sales lass discussing extending the double garage into a triple garage, She couldn't understand why I wanted a triple garage and was eeven more baffled when my reply was because there isn't room for a Quad garage.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:I love the sound of aftermarket cans on IL4s they sound awesome screaming away but on my v twin it was just annoying and measured 116 dba ! which is way beyond kill your hearing levels
I don't find mine annoying at all, in fact I actually love the noise. Above 50-60 mph I can barely hear the exhaust it's just down at the slower speeds. That said, mine came in at 114db, which is a little too much, especially for others riding with me. I think most of the noise comes because the CATs where in the cans so now its just a 60mm pipe with a bit of wadding round the outside.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I forgot mine had a baffle fitted and was still 116 dba,it sounded harsh not nice like a Mille or ducati
Tuffers
Your Bike: Ducati Scrambler & Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Post by Tuffers »

Scorpion Carbine Oval with baffles out. Loud as feck!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Had these on the SP briefly. Beautifully built can and best I have ever seen but were just to loud so I sold them. Never had had them noise tested but similar to a motogp bike warming up and there 130 dB.

Fast forward to clip to about 3.43

2003 HONDA RC51/LADYBIRD EXHAUST: http://youtu.be/8oLLcaE79FI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;