Tank Bags.

The news and your views about biking
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Tank Bags.

Post by Godzilla »

OK, Ive never really used a proper tank bag, but am looking for one. Any people got advice and want it to be as easy as possible to fill the tank up.
Cheers.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Re: Tank Bags.

Post by Bratty »

That's what I have mate, mines quite small but fine for what I need phone, wallet, house keys, bottle of water etc,
Fits to the petrol cap so doesn't scratch the tank, Blade and Duke have one too.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
I get knocked down but i get up again.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

SW Motec ones are hard to beat from what i have found.

Tank ring is unobtrusive when not being used and its as easy to remove and replace the bag as its ever likely to be.

Bags are quality stuff too.

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Motorc ... -Bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Any specific need that it's a tank bag? Have you thought about a tail pack instead? Kreiga do a few different sizes which you can also buy a separate attachment for to turn into a tank bag.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Bratty wrote:That's what I have mate, mines quite small but fine for what I need phone, wallet, house keys, bottle of water etc,
Fits to the petrol cap so doesn't scratch the tank, Blade and Duke have one too.
I have this one and can only agree with Bratty and Duke its the best kit available IMO.

Only problem I find is it gets in my way when riding but then if your fitting to the GS and not the S1 I wouldn't see it being a problem due to the more upright riding position.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Just seen this thread, I had been customising an existing bag I have to fit the R. I bought this of Kingfixer ages ago for the S1RR. The tank cover goes over the tank, the you can just clip the tank bag in place.
When I fill up I just release the clips near the back of the tank and hinge it up while I fill up. Handy piece of kit. The bag has a clear section on the top so you can pop in directions, maps, or even have you phone in there if you want.

The bag is the one I have, obviously not my bike, so slightly different cover, but you get the idea.

PS> When off the bike, the bag can been worn like a rucksack if you so wish.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Those sw motech look decent. Ive also spotted givi have a similar system. Will have to do a bit of thinking Cheers
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I've had a similar set up to the one Frankie has, it was made by bagster. The tank cover is not everyone's taste, but it nice to ride with and the bag just hinges up to allow for filling up, the map pocket is brilliant, the one I had unzipped to make it bigger and also had a semi-transparent waterproof cover that was fixed inside a compartment that could be pulled out and over the entire bag when in place on the tank. It also had a clip on shoulder strap so you could free up a hand for a coffee, beer or burger etc.

Fwiw I'd buy a bagster cover/bag again if required.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Thanks, Deegee, I just dont really like the bagster tank covers aesthetically. Although I can see they protect the paint work, on the other hand will be comparatively heavy.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I wouldn't say they are heavy - the bag itself is way heavier than the cover, but if there is a negative aspect it's the odd feel on your knees, they don't feel as secure as the paintwork and definitely not as secure as tank specs, plus of course it's the aesthetics to get your head around. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Anyone know if there is a retail outlet that sell the bags connection ones that Bratty, Blade and Duke have or do I have to buy online without seeing?

TIA
duke63

Post by duke63 »

There is a place near Donington called Winding Roads. The do say you can visit their outlet but i think you need to arrange in advance as I don't think they man the place permanently.

Give them a call Godzilla, they are good people to deal with and I have always found them very helpful.

http://www.windingroads.co.uk/about-us.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I can't find a retailer sorry mate, I saw Dukes on his bike when we were at the IOM and he tol me he had a smaller version for sale so I purchased that off him, but it a great bit of kit.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Thanks guys.

I vaguely remember Duke's at the IOM. But didnt look too hard as I wasnt in the market.

Thanks Duke, I saw that winding roads place, however Donington is nearly 2 hours each way from me, was hoping there was somewhere further north.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

If you want me to take some photos of the bag I have then let me know. Quality wise I think it's very hard to beat. They are very well made indeed. I think they do a GS specific tank bag.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

duke63 wrote:If you want me to take some photos of the bag I have then let me know. Quality wise I think it's very hard to beat. They are very well made indeed. I think they do a GS specific tank bag.
Thanks Duke, will let you know. I've just found the GS one. I quite fancy the electric one, but will push the price to nearly £250 :x