Track Tyres

The news and your views about biking
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Track Tyres

Post by kiwikrasher »

I know asking opinions of tyres is never straight forward, but I'm going to anyway!

The ZX10R I'm getting has Pilot Pure's on it, and the front is shagged, but he reckons the rear has a fair bit of life in it. I don't really want to have mis-matched rubber, so I'm thinking of just starting fresh.

The only tyre I've used on the track with the D600 is BT-021/23's as my bike was mainly a commuter. Last track day I had cooked the front, it had gone a deep blue colour.

I'm getting tyre warmers with the bike so slicks are definitely an option. Good chance I can get some race take-offs for a reasonable price too. But the other options I've been looking at are Dunlop GP-A D211's or Metzeler Racetec K2's.

Also the bike takes a 190/55 rear, but it seems to be easier and more options with getting a 190/60. I'm guessing being track dedicated that wouldn't be a bad way to go, more turn in, bigger foot print etc..

Anyway, advice and silly comments appreciated. This will be my first Thou bike so I'm on a learning curve.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Track Tyres

Post by Kwacky »

If you're using warmers and it's a track only bike then go for decent road/race tyres.

Loads of options kicking about. It might be worth trying some scrubs at first to see what you like. Otherwise the Bridgestone R10 or the Diablo Supercorsa are other suggestions.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I've been running 60 section SC01 and 02 on the road and track. Best tyre I've ever had on the track, like snot on a blanket! A very cheap way to do it if you buy the take offs. The last set I bought had only done 20 minutes of qualifying on an BSB bike and cost me 70 quid.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I've always liked Pirelli super corsas
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mascot/m ... 1047793280

quick seach found these. 2 mins from the airport. Might be able to get my driver to swing past on the way home!
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Just be wary about slick tyres, they are more susceptible to heat cycling, and unless you are pretty quick wont really benefit from using them, or maybe even be able to tell at all.

I would suggest SC1 or 2 (or the K1 /2 )

If you do decide to go slicks I would avoid the 'PRO' version.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Godzilla wrote:Just be wary about slick tyres, they are more susceptible to heat cycling, and unless you are pretty quick wont really benefit from using them, or maybe even be able to tell at all.

Yeah I understand about the heat cycling, generally 5-6 cycles and they are done. I will have warmers so they should only do one cycle for the track day.

As for quick enough, I was. I could keep within 1-2 seconds of a friend who raced a 748 and she was on slicks, I was on the BT's. But my speed after a break is what I was worried about too. I think you're right, And I will run with your suggested level of tyre at least till I get my mojo back and get to terms with an extra 70 odd horsepower.

The other thing that I was thinking about running slicks straight up was I plan to get my suspension set-up professionally while I was there, which means I won't get straight back to the garage every session, so with part used tyres I might be putting myself in a bad spot torwards the end of the day.

The SC 2 or Racetec K2's are going to be more tyre than my ability for a while anyway. It really was only the cheaper option of take-offs that was leaning me towards slicks at the moment.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Just be wary about slick tyres, they are more susceptible to heat cycling, and unless you are pretty quick wont really benefit from using them, or maybe even be able to tell at all.

Yeah I understand about the heat cycling, generally 5-6 cycles and they are done. I will have warmers so they should only do one cycle for the track day.

As for quick enough, I was. I could keep within 1-2 seconds of a friend who raced a 748 and she was on slicks, I was on the BT's. But my speed after a break is what I was worried about too. I think you're right, And I will run with your suggested level of tyre at least till I get my mojo back and get to terms with an extra 70 odd horsepower.

The other thing that I was thinking about running slicks straight up was I plan to get my suspension set-up professionally while I was there, which means I won't get straight back to the garage every session, so with part used tyres I might be putting myself in a bad spot torwards the end of the day.

The SC 2 or Racetec K2's are going to be more tyre than my ability for a while anyway. It really was only the cheaper option of take-offs that was leaning me towards slicks at the moment.
I have no idea about the pace you run at, I wasnt really hinting at that, and not meaning are you fast enough to keep them warm.

But when I look at the lap times that people running at the front of BSB Superstock are doing, only a handful of seconds (at most) down on the full superbike times, it really does make me wonder why many people run slicks. Thats more what I was meaning.

However having said that, you may be at the pace, I have no idea.
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

Perkles wrote:I've always liked Pirelli super corsas

me too. Racetec's are pretty much the same tyre.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

I get what you mean Gozilla, would I be fast enough to get an advantage out of slicks pace wise... absolutely not. In fact I'm even considering dropping down a group from where I used to run due to being off the bike for 3 yrs and going back on a completely different beast. Over here we run 4 groups, Slow, Medium, Medium fast and Fast. I was running in Medium Fast about mid pack. But I think I'd rather be not worrying about faster traffic while I get used to the new bike and associated power.

The advantage in slicks would be getting savings on tyres by getting scrubs. But in reality it may be false economy.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Tricky wrote:

I've heard lots of good things about the racetec's locally, but equally good things about the SC's on here.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Tricky wrote:

I've heard lots of good things about the racetec's locally, but equally good things about the SC's on here.
They are very similar tyres, just a slightly different section 190 the Metz and 200 the Pirelli. Can you not pick up either of these as scrubs?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Godzilla wrote:
They are very similar tyres, just a slightly different section 190 the Metz and 200 the Pirelli. Can you not pick up either of these as scrubs?
Not that I've found, there were a couple of them on ebay, but no sets and not the size I need. the track/race forums all only seem to have slicks going.
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

nothing wrong with slicks, apart from not running them in the damp like you could the race treaded tyres, and slicks last longer.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Ok, so I'm healed now, and my 675 is ready to go. Thinking of having an "end of season" day out so I'm not leaving this year on yet another "crashed it last time, first time back since,,,"
There's an Open Pit Lane day on Monday at Cadwell, that's up to 7hrs of tracktime . -Should give me so opportunity to try to get back into the feel of things (as I was failing miserably last time, and as soon as I started to push on at all I crashed). After that incident I could hardly ride properly let alone well. Tootling round trying to find confidence is no fun imho, just a waste of time. I NEED to push on & enjoy the limits again but without crashing.
So the above is the background.

I have the Metzeler Racetec slicks (that let go on me) fitted at the moment. Forecast is to be 10-12 centigrade. I have warmers, but the track itself is obviously going to be cool.
I would be taking my Wets anyway, if only because if I didn't it would definitely rain. I would obviously fit them as necessary.
I also have some Supercorsas, and some M7rr.

What tyres would you recommend I should use at this time of year, or would you advise that I just wait until next spring.?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

A sporty road tyre should be ideal IMO. They'll warm up pretty quick out on track and they're good at keeping the heat, but they're designed for European weather so should be better suited.

I have no idea how quick you are. I've heard fast riders say that the m7rr limits can be found on track.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:,,,I have no idea how quick you are.
The older I get, the faster I was.... (smirk)

These days I'm over 1.50 round Cadwell (dry), so the BSB lads won't exactly be quaking in their boots.. (giggle)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Supercorsa if it were me and they are the road biased version.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

For what it's worth, as much as I like riding on Supercorsa SC1/SC2 and Metzeler RR K1/K2, I don't get 1 full day out of a rear tyre on my 600. For me, I prefer Dunlop D212s. So long as you get the right compound for the temperature you'll get 2+ times the longevity out of them.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Thanks for the advice lads.

My decision has been made for me. I failed to be nimble enough working this afternoon, and took a direct kick to my left leg which twisted my knee as it took me down. Bastard.!
I can barely walk now, and even if it's feeling better by tomorrow I don't think I'd trust it to hang off my stompgrips with.
Bastard.!