Kwacky's Donington Report

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Kwacky's Donington Report

Post by Kwacky »

I like Donny. It's big, it's wide, it's got a good mix of corners. Despite the fact it's the only track I've binned it it was also the only rack where I could get my knee down on both sides and generally have a good time.

Despite that, I've not been for a few years. The last time I was on my Daytona 600 and Duke63 was on his Fireblade. Another good day. We were lucky enough to get instruction from a police biker (who sadly lost his life racing at the Isle of Man).

So about 6 years later I'm back and I'm with an old track day partner, Perkles.

The day starts off a bit weird as Perkles decides once we're on the motorway that he needs petrol, so we take a detour. No problem there's loads of time. We pull into the circuit and look for a garage. By "look" I mean "Perkles sees a gap and parks it up" We're sharing with what looks like a race team.

There's also a very tricked up ZX10r

and a Blade

Check in goes smoothly. It's a chronos day so we've all got transponders. The briefing is a bit weird. Most of it is fine but I'm sure he said there would be 3 sighting laps, 2 sessions then lunch. Each session is 20 minutes so I presume we do 3 sighting lights before our first session then 2 more before lunch. Nope.

The 100% suspension guy is there. It's now £50. Bloody hell. But, I've put it off for long enough. The service includes a full check and set up, improvements throughout the day, a full fact sheet showing all of the adjustments and you can call them any time to get advice about settings.

I get the bike set up.

Then we do our 3 sighting laps.

Then back into the pits and we wait for our next session. Very strange.

Out next session and I'm taking easy. But because I'm taking it easy it's all flowing rather nicely. I'm not braking for corners, but using the gears and rolling off. It's a great way to get used to a circuit. I pick my speed up and soon pass Perkles. That doesn't seem right.

Anyway, back into the pits and Perkles is reporting a problem with his rear master cylinder leaking. It's soon fixed.

I've met up with Jack. Cheers for coming mate, much appreciated (y)

I then go off and get some adjustments to the suspension. It's turning in fine but not tracking the line I want. A few more tweaks.

Second session is great. Really flowing well. The bike is still running a little wide but otherwise all is good. Even my much hated Melbourne Loop isn't too bad. However I am running wide coming out of Redgate. I reckon I was going in too fast as I was forever catching and overtaking people there.

Where I was slow was on the Foggy Esses and the Loop. I was getting better at the Esses but I was still braking too early and going in too slow.

It's the back of the circuit I enjoy. From Craner to Coppice really seems to flow for me.

After the second session it's lunch. At 11.20. I have to admit this threw me and I didn't seem to get my head right afterwards. That was made worse when I was called out for the third session. Just as I'm about to launch the bike the red lights come on the circuit. Someone has binned it. On the opening lap before the corner. So I'm sat alone with about 30 bikers 10 yards behind me and a clean up operation and ambulance about 30 yards ahead. Not good prep.

Session 3 didn't go very well. I ran wide out of Redgate, over the kerb and on to the concrete and dirt.

Session 4 saw me struggling for whatever reason. I think I was worrying too much about the fact I don't hang off enough, so I was thinking about body position. As a result I wasn't concentrating as much as I should have been on the track. The fuel warning light was a welcome distraction.

I go off to get some fuel from the track station. As I'm riding back in the paddock a van pulls out on me and almost T bones me. Enough is enough. Time to go home. Overall a mixed da but one I enjoyed. I had a chat with a few people, got the suspension sorted and came home in one piece.

I really do need to start working on my body position. There are no chicken strips and I got my pegs down on Goddards. I also need to remember it's been several years since I did track days so I can't expect to be leading the pack in inters. That said, there were some very very quick riders out there today.

Massive massive thanks to Jack for taking some snaps. For spudda for showing his face and to Rocket for bringing cake. Cheers lads, I really appreciate it.
Kwacky

Re: Kwacky's Donington Report

Post by Kwacky »

tl;dr - kwacky did a track day and didn't crash
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Nice report we need to sort a proper tankslap track day sometime
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

Perkles wrote:Nice report we need to sort a proper tankslap track day sometime
yes (y)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Nice write up Kwacky.

Tbh I m very similar as I also used to do more track days and subsequently had more confidence and ability because of it.

You had a great day with some good mates and these days that's way more important to me than any lap time.

Glad you and Perkles both enjoyed the track time and Jack, Rocket and Spudda all had fun too.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Looks like a great day Kwacky! Wouldnt it be awesome to get a full tank slap exclusive track day somehow, Slappers only, Open pitlane, allow people to go out with each other learn from each other and just generally have an awesome day, ahh one can but dream lol
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cavetroll87 wrote:Looks like a great day Kwacky! Wouldnt it be awesome to get a full tank slap exclusive track day somehow, Slappers only, Open pitlane, allow people to go out with each other learn from each other and just generally have an awesome day, ahh one can but dream lol
Now that would be a day.

We did take over the wobblers group at Donnington in the d600.org days. I can't remember how many but it was around 10-15 Daytona 600s and 650s.

Spudda will be along with the pics in a bit.
Jimmy Mc
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 675

Post by Jimmy Mc »

Great write up Kwacky, sounds like a fun day.

Tankslap track day would be excellent. I'm aware of a track in Wales that can be hired out but can't recall the name, will have a look.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Jimmy Mc wrote:Great write up Kwacky, sounds like a fun day.

Tankslap track day would be excellent. I'm aware of a track in Wales that can be hired out but can't recall the name, will have a look.

That's the A458 :D
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

http://www.llandow.com/exlusive-hire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That looks like one big left hand loop.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

yup. didnt really appeal to me that one, Blyton Park didnt look too bad and is available to hire but no prices and stuff, could email them, should also probably stat a new thread and stop hijacking yours, sorry about that mate

although if we did a TS exclusive on you never know could be a new business opportunity there "Tankslapp Trackdays" the only trackday organiser to give you a complimentary piece of cake on the day (party)
Last edited by Cavetroll87 on 16 Jul 2014, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's an unwritten internet rule that threads have to go off topic.
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

I've just pinged a lady at Castle Coombe an email to find out the costs involved, will keep you all posted!

Sounds like you had a cracking day at Donny!! Good work!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Has anyone got enough spare cash lying around to hire Donny for the day?

I need some richer mates.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Depends how much they charge I guess and also what people would be willing to pay individually, get 30 guys paying £150 each is £4,500 to hire the track for the day, a lot of commitment needed and organising, but could be worth it, maybe on a smaller track to start with. I have emailed Blyton Park for a qoute, looks like a good little track in Lincs,
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You normally need event insurance as well, not to mention marshalls and paramedics and a St Johns ambulance or two.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I think it's a great idea but almost impossible to organise ourselves being realistic. The best approach would be to get in touch with an event organiser and discuss possibility of having a TS exclusive event. If too expensive or not enough interest to fill all 3 groups maybe just take one group over. I have seen Bill smiths take over a whole group at Oulton leaving the other two groups for general public and been organised as novice / inters and group two inters / fast.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Missed this post. Nice write up.

I'd love to do Donny again (in the dry)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Hiring a track in this country is really expensive but I have heard that track hire in France is not to bad.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.