Clamp down on illegal exhausts

The news and your views about biking
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Re: Clamp down on illegal exhausts

Post by Godzilla »

Lancs Police started this a month ago. Why just bikes, why not cars like Scooby doos with noisy illegal pipes as well?

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:
Insp Wakeford added that Loomies already helps out with parking for police Bikesafe courses. He said that the force’s priority is reducing the number of people killed or seriously injured on the road, and that patrols will be increased over the summer.
Putting resources into finding an illegal exhaust will save lots of lives and prevent many serious injuries I'm sure. Tw@s
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Be far better spending their time clamping down on big polluting vehicles or uninsured road users. That WOULD save some lives.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Duke, that's what West Mids Police are doing. They're out now at nights checking vehicles. You can follow what they're up to on twitter. They're doing a good job to be fair to them.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Good work from West Mids Police then.

I can never quite understand how different police forces can have such varying ideas on what makes good policing.

Perhaps they need more burglars and drug dealers in Hampshire to make them reassess what is time well spent!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I guess it depends on location. You're more likely to have illegal cars and drivers around Birmingham than in Hampshire. People in Hampshire are more likely to complain about loud motorbikes.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

There are illegal and uninsured drivers in birmingham? ;)

Totally agree that uninsured drivers should be targeted everywhere. If proven a serial offender they should be banned for life IMO and then jailed if caught again.
Zx10dale
Your Bike: 2008 R1

Post by Zx10dale »

Putting resources into finding an illegal exhaust will save lots of lives and prevent many serious injuries I'm sure. Tw@s
What a crock of sh!t ! It's so easy to focus on a minority group. Min input max output. Completely wrong set of priorities. As a min I reckon 99% of bike riders pay all due taxes , insurance etc and are upstanding members of society. How much safer will we all feel after a few tickets have been handed out ???
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There's still an old fashioned mindset aboiut bikers. People don't realise that most of us aren't young kids thrashing about at breakneck speeds creating a load of noise, weaving in and out of traffic and generally being anti-social.

We're middle aged.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Kwacky hit the nail on the head, people in Hants are more likely to complain about the noise, especially because bikers have been seen as anti social since the sixties, the fact the bike owning demographic is changing won't affect peoples entrenched views. It's all about perceived threat/nuisance and nothing to do with actually saving lives, unless the 15mins taken to book a noisy Gixer prevents him offing himself just down the road - unlikely.

People in Hampshire and Surrey etc are more likely than average to write a letter and create a stink because they can hear noisy bikes (even if it's a Car they can't tell the difference) when they're at the golf club/tennis club/at home in garden on the weekend, they understand and use the process of lobbying and accessing the Police Commisioner (elected so lobbying is effective) and get their agenda adopted.

I know there's some sweeping generalisations in there but tbh that's the gist of it, there are people there that complain through "channels", I wouldn't be surprised to see Surrey & Sussex Police doing the same at some point. :|
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

What's probably happened is a councillor or two has bought a house in one of the villages on either the A32 or the A272 (the main reason people go to Loomies)

The unfortunate side is two fold. First they will only target sports bikes and ignore the stupidly loud harleys, secondly they will hurt a small business that does very well due to it's location. As my bike isn't exactly quiet, I won't bother going down there now. I wonder how many other will be thinking the same ??
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti