Mid Wales Run 29th June

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Mid Wales Run 29th June

Post by Blade »

Just thought I would post a quick ride out report from yesterday.

Bit of a last minute, weather dependent ride out so just myself, DaytonAndy and ZX10Dale went but it had to be done after such a good run the week before ;)

We arranged to meet at our usual haunt, the Raven Cafe at 9am. I arrived a little late and found Dale sat outside sipping tea in the sunshine so a good start as the weather forecast had been very changeable to say the least. Shortly after me DaytonAndy rolled into the car park.

After a quick bite to eat and a drink we set of down the A49 to the Cravens Arms to a cafe Dale knew and recommended. Dale led as I didn't know the way and he set a good pace from the outset which was all that could be done really, as it was a means to an ends to get us down towards the twisites as the A49 heading south is pretty much a straight line from the Raven.

Once at Craven Arms we pulled up at a nice little cafe and ordered 3 breakfast and 3 cups of tea. We sat outside under dark black clouds eating our breakie's watching all the other bikers ride by heading for the twisities of Mid Wales. Fortunately for us the black clouds past by and never actually came to anything.

After our refreshment we filled up with fuel and took the A489 over to Newtown which was a good run and had me and Andy out of our seats a couple of times, haha. From Newtown we took the slapper favourite the A483 down to the cafe at Crossgates. What a road and what a ride 8) fantastic fun was had by all and imo the A483 has to be the best road in the UK.

We chilled out at Crossgates for a while and chatted with some other bikers / nutter's who were telling tales of pulling ton up wheelie's past tractors and clipping their wing mirrors to dodging grass strimmers when taking evasive action up a grass verge (fubar) . Nutters indeed :P They asked me where we were heading next, I said "the opposite way to you" (giggle)

From Crossgates we took the A44 over to Aberystwyth which was a good fast twisty ride and carried out in near perfect close flying formation the whole way 8)

Ice Creams were the order of the day in Aberystwyth before heading for Macynlleth and Dolgellau and then on over to Bala for more Ice Cream and drinks :P The order of the day was again low flying close formation with Squadron Leader Dale leading and myself and flight Leiuteant Andy in perfect formation for the entire run (y)

After a good chillax at the lake at Bala we headed for home via some nice twisty roads that were Andy's local stomping ground and good fun to ride.

A great day was had by all and something that we will have to do again soon. In fact I have the map in front of me planning the next run which will hopefully see us penetrating even deeper into Mid Wales on another low flying sortie 8)

Cheers Dale and Andy great day out lads and thanks for making it so (y)
Last edited by Blade on 30 Jun 2014, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Mid Wales Run 29th June

Post by Kwacky »

Top day out. Thanks for the write up.

Keep us all posted if you're doing another. July is looking a bit poor for me as Mrs K seems to have a lot planned but I'm sure I could squeeze something in. Us Midlanders can always meet up at Newtown or Craven.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Great write up Blade, Kwacky and me were talking about a weekday blast over that way Wednesday if poss, let me us know when your free so Kwacky can book the day off.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m free on Wednesday 9th July if that date suited you boys ?

If we go will do same route which is 300 to 350 miles depending on starting point. Obviously an all dayer from 8am to 8pm but is not worth going that far for just a few hours. Does that suit you guys if so I will post an event.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yeah, that suits me.

We can sort meeting points etc closer to the date.
Blade

Post by Blade »

OK will post an event later just a bit manic now on school run.

Bratty that OK with you buddy ?
Bratty

Post by Bratty »

Blade wrote:OK will post an event later just a bit manic now on school run.

Bratty that OK with you buddy ?
Sorry mate I'm already in Wales with the wife having a few days away, what about Wednesday after the 16th ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sorry mate I'm back in work on that day.

Would Thursday 10th or Friday 11tn be any better ?
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Nice write up, I have to say I have enjoyed the couple of times I have ridden the road from Crossgates to Newton, feels like two different roads when you ride it both directions.
Bratty

Post by Bratty »

Blade wrote:Sorry mate I'm back in work on that day.

Would Thursday 10th or Friday 11tn be any better ?
Sorry mate I go away Monday the 7th and come back Friday 11th when's the next Wednesday your free mate ?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Not till 6th August unfortunately mate but I'm happy to go then.

Do you want to organise with Kwacky for the 16th ?

I will go on Wednesday 9th July anyway. Happy to go on my own or others can join me no problem, but you and Kwacky sort out with each other what's best for you both and I will fit in when and if I can. I don't want to steer it towards a particular date and spoiler it for others. Hope that waffle makes sense.
Bratty

Post by Bratty »

Blade wrote:Not till 6th August unfortunately mate but I'm happy to go then.

Do you want to organise with Kwacky for the 16th ?

I will go on Wednesday 9th July anyway. Happy to go on my own or others can join me no problem, but you and Kwacky sort out with each other what's best for you both and I will fit in when and if I can. I don't want to steer it towards a particular date and spoiler it for others. Hope that waffle makes sense.
I think Kwacky is off next wednesday bud so you two might as well do the Wales blast we can still do it again in August mate.
Blade

Post by Blade »

OK cool. I just didn't want to leave you out if you could go with Kwacky on the 16th. I'll see what Kwacky wants to do.

Kwacky you fancy the 9th of July? Weather dependent. Don't mind showers but won't go if pissing down unfortunately. Thought it best to say upfront if your booking holiday from work.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Folks, I've got a very limited number of days I can take off work. I'm happy to go out for a mid week ride but I would prefer to wait for a date a few of us can make. If it's not until August that's fine.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Nice write up , Sounds like you had a blast blade shame I could not make it.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Rocket shame you weren't there mate.

Hope the holiday is going well.

Do you fancy mid Wales 9 th july ? I will be going even if just me. Would be great if your up for it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky I'll post an event for Wednesday 6th August.