Puncture Repair Cement

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Puncture Repair Cement

Post by Blade »

Does it have a shelf life ?

I have a puncture repair kit and it must be 10 year old so I'm wondering if it will still be useful in the event of a puncture. The cement is in a sealed tube which is still flexible and feels like brand new. There is no use by date so I assume its still good but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

I don't fancy spending £30 replacing it if there is nothing wrong with it.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: Puncture Repair Cement

Post by rocket »

No idea guessing if the tube has not been opened it should be fine but I bet when you need it it doesn't work. Saying that if you have not used it in 10 years do you really need it.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's always worth having a kit IMO.

It's it's sealed then it should be fine but I can't say with 100% certainty.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

(Obviously) I don't know if your glue will be ok, but I can say without any doubt whatsoever that the glue can go off in a sealed tube.:
About 3-4 weeks ago I got a puncture in my bicycle. I opened a brand new puncture repair kit that I'd got a while ago, pierced the glue tube with the lid & found that the glue in it had congealed to a firm rubber consistency.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

well i think the best thing to do is open said glue put it on toast eat and if your teeth stick together you know it did not go off ....
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

StMarks wrote:(Obviously) I don't know if your glue will be ok, but I can say without any doubt whatsoever that the glue can go off in a sealed tube.:
About 3-4 weeks ago I got a puncture in my bicycle. I opened a brand new puncture repair kit that I'd got a while ago, pierced the glue tube with the lid & found that the glue in it had congealed to a firm rubber consistency.
I might be okay then as the glue is still flexible in the tube like it was brand new
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:..I might be okay then as the glue is still flexible in the tube like it was brand new
I don't know Blade, fwiw the glue seemed ok (in so much as it could be squeezed out of the tube) it was just glutinous instead of sticky.
I guess if it seems to move around in the tube like a liquid, it will still be ok.?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers StMarks I reckon I should be ok but might look into if you can buy replacement / spare tubes of glue instead of replacing the whole repair kit.