Is biking in the blood?

The news and your views about biking
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Is biking in the blood?

Post by Itchy »

I was speaking to my Dad the other day and he was telling me about his family tree research. He got into it a few years ago and has managed to get a few hundred years of "Itchy's" into his records. It is quite interesting, although he does manage to tell me in such a way that my eyelids begin to get heavy! |-)

Anyhoo, he mentioned something that made my ears prick up this time around. Apparently I'm related to this fella...

It's a fairly loose relation, 2nd cousin at best I think. We don't know each other, until my Dad mentioned it I wasn't even aware of his existence, but then it got me thinking.

That guy's a biker.

I'm a biker.

Even my Dad was a biker in his day...

We're all related but have all gone about biking without knowing the other's involvement as such. My dad didn't show me that pic until I'd got my Daytona back in 2008/9. I thought his only bike up until that point was a C90 when I was very young!

So I was wondering, is there something in our genetic make-up that attracts us to biking? Are we destined to follow the paths of our ancestors? Or is it all a big coincidence?
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Re: Is biking in the blood?

Post by Godzilla »

Not in the blood imho. My brother hasn't the slightest interest.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Awesome pic of your Dad!

I think there is a gene that is common among many that draws us to higher risk ventures, motorcycling being one. (My Dad was not one, but he was in the 101st Airborne, another risky business). So, maybe not a 'motorcycling' gene, but a 'I choose to live life to the full' gene.

My Mom is incredibly risk-averse, but my sister is like my father. In fact, she owned a CBR600f for a while and was quite fast until they sold them due to financial hardships.

My oldest is much like me, scuba dicing, green laning in the Jeep, etc. My youngest has no inclination to do these things.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

My old man was a biker but gave up when the kids arrived.

No one else in my family rides.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I think riding bikes was a necessity for many back in the day as most could not afford to run a car.

My dad and his father both rode bikes.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Impressive pedigree Itchy, I bet you wish you're dads old Triumph was mothballed at the back of the garage somewhere.!

Another one who has no previous generations linked to motorbikes in any measure.

However I believe the "common gene for" aspect that Mac proposed applies:

My Father was a top test pilot for the RAF, and his father was also flew for the RAF (but not to the same level). Sadly I was never going to be bright enough to follow their lead, so maybe motorbike helped me fill that void.?

On the maternal branch, my mother (a nurse) rode a Lambretta when she worked at Guys Hospital, (so I guess I was on two wheels before I was even born). However she has no interest in them, it was just a practical commuting solution. Her father was a Cavalry Officer, so not such a very different.? Just four legs instead of two wheels.
Last edited by StMarks on 01 Jun 2014, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Binno
Your Bike: Hayabusa dogs dangly

Post by Binno »

I have often wondered this. My dad hates bikes. He only told me a year or so ago that my grandad was big into bikes. Apparently he used to be a mechanic for the British speedway champion , bob someone. Kitchen maybe. I forget now , though I do keep meaning to look it up and see if there are pics of him.

Apparently after the war , somebody must have owed him a huge favour because this chap used to get the train up from Birmingham and bring a bit of a bsa from the factory until grandad had a full bike. I only wish there were more cameras about in them days.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

My grandad had bikes most his life, my dad never had one but he told me he was saving for one when he met my mom and he spent the money on her instead.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Bratty wrote:My grandad had bikes most his life, my dad never had one but he told me he was saving for one when he met my mom and he spent the money on her instead.
Did it make her any quicker around Donington though?
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Itchy wrote:
Bratty wrote:My grandad had bikes most his life, my dad never had one but he told me he was saving for one when he met my mom and he spent the money on her instead.
Did it make her any quicker around Donington though?
Lol
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

My Granddad ( on my Mum's side) and Dad were both bikers , I like risk it engages the senses and the mind like nothing else I know
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I don't think biking is in the blood lines, but once it's in your blood it's there for life..

None of my family have ever ridden bikes and never will, they have always hated them. If any of them had half a chance they would sell my bike for me.

To me there are two major things that make biking for me.
  • The social aspect. I have never found anything else in my life that has allowed me to meet so many people from so many different walks of life where every element of prejudice is removed. Well, apart from harley and bussa riders that is ;)
  • The temporary solitude. For the time I'm riding the bike the only thing that matters is where the next petrol station is. I get to clear my mind from all the clutter of day to day life and I come home from a ride a much better and happier person for it.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I genuinely think it is gene related, my Grandfather rode bikes until his 50's, including a Brough Superior with a chair, my Dad rode when young, but a skull fracture from a very serious riding accident curtailed his riding for nearly 25yrs until I had a fizzy, he started riding that until Mum found out and stopped that. I've ridden since I was 13 and taught my brother, we've both ridden since then, even my Sister rode until she lost two good friends on bikes.

Our latest generation is still riding, my oldest lad is 26 and was my pillion for 5yrs until we bought him a Derbi GPR at 16, he's selling his CBR600fs for a track bike at the moment, so will stay with 2 wheels for the time being.

Maybe it is something to do with enjoying risk, most of us have also enjoyed pastimes with risk attached, it definitely makes you realise you're alive if there's a possibility of injury or worse. ;)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I'm with Mac on the risk, I like the speed, the risk and the adrenalin I get from it. Doesn't matter if it's on a bike, skis or a bath chair.

Having kids has made me think about it more, but it doesn't stop me doing it and if I was thinking rationally it probably should.

My Dad did have a BSA C15 and a Norton Commando though.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

My daughter, after seeing hundrerds of bikes turn up for a meet at our local shop before their Ride of Respect today, has now asked if she can go on the back. :S
I told her that she has to be able to reach the footpegs with both feet, thinking that she'd be miles off.

Nope!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My daughter is keen to go on mine.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

How old is she? Mine's only 8, I worry that it's a bit too young, even if I had her glued, tied and velcroed to me.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

She's just turned 11. She's not coming on the bike until she can get into my wife's leathers.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

sometimes it's out of necessity and then natural progression.
My Dad used to race go karts, my bro used to race side cars and my unc done a few stints at the TT.
I couldn't afford any other form of transport when I was young so had to ride in all weathers.

No more though, sunny weather for me only now
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

My Grandad used to ride and my mum grew up around bikes so I think it just reminds her of her dad and makes her happy to see me in on a bike but it was mainly a friends dad who got me into bikes as he used to ride and race and I remember going round and seeing all the bikes and that was it for me, he took me out in a sidecar once and that was my 1st experience on a bike of any kind, I must have only been about 8
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...