What to do if bike thieves are following you

The news and your views about biking
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

What to do if bike thieves are following you

Post by C00kiemonster »

This appeared on Facebook, it's an interesting read.

All credits go to http://www.superbike.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Superbike magazine)

Posted on May 23, 2014 by John Hogan

Three hours ago, I was twenty minutes from home, heading south across Tower Bridge on a very shiny BMW S1000RR HP4. It’s a strict 20mph limit, with cameras. I know the cameras are there because I got flashed doing 28mph there years ago when I thought it was a 30 limit.

The commuter spec Vespa 300 scooter that’s heading towards me is doing about 50mph, weaving up the gap like the rider realised he left the front door open. Rider and pillion are wearing race rep Arai helmets and trainers, something isn’t right. Out of the corner of my eye I spot the pillion double take the HP4. I tell myself that if I see that bike in my mirrors in the next two minutes, they want my bike. I do. They do. It’s an all too common theme, two up on a scooter, thieves will follow you home and have a go at taking your bike. I’ve had bikes pinched before, it’s really not a nice feeling. This feels different though, the rush that I’m feeling is similar to when a fight is about to kick off, not everybody likes the feeling.

Sticking to the limit, I roll towards the big roundabout at Elephant and Castle. It’s not like the movies, the scooter isn’t on my number plate, they’re twenty cars back, taking their time and playing it cool. When I stop at lights, they don’t draw level at the front like every other bike on the planet would, they sit back, all the way back, far enough back for me not to notice them. But I have. I have two plans, one that involves what I would do if they try and take the bike off me at a set of lights and another that involves riding round in circles in the hope of dropping them off. Violence can be a good thing. I’ve used it in the past to solve lots of problems (all of which were way past the point of talking or UN resolutions) and felt reasonably confident that with an open face helmet and a pair of titanium protected gloves on, I’d be able to hold my own against the two twits on the scooter.

If you don’t fancy your chances, do your best not to stop moving, get to the front right hand side at every set of lights and be ready to burst through the traffic like Dani Pedrosa on a hot one. By now I’ve angled the mirrors on the bike, the right one shows me what’s going on way back up the line of traffic, the left hand one is now on the gap I’ve left on the left, normally the blind spot. My new friends are still at least ten cars back. At each set of lights, they switch sides but hold back. I shoot off from a set of lights, all that crap about a scooter being as quick as a sports bike across town is mostly true. Mostly. I’m far enough ahead to chuck a U turn in and head back the way I came, right at the scooter. This time there’s eye contact. They know and I know what’s going on.

Spying a police van at a set of lights, I stop in front of it, the scooter shoots off left up a side road. I don’t feel like the problem has gone away, I feel like the problem is hiding round the corner watching me. Something else to think about if this happens to you, is stopping off somewhere that you can hide the bike. A garage forecourt, a drive thru car wash, anything that allows you to get the bike out of sight for a bit. I went for FWR tyres, good friends of mine, handily they have a load of bikes out the front. I duck in, stash the bike and my kit and stand lookout on the street. Five minutes later, the scooter appears from a side road, when they see me seeing them, they change direction and head off the way I came. Two smokes later, a police van stops at the lights outside the shop, I stop them and explain what’s going on.

There’s little they can do, stating that they couldn’t keep up with a scooter in traffic if they tried. I hand over the details that I made a note of when I parked up. Make, model, registration, clothing and helmet style. If you’re being followed, take in as much detail as you can. In the Army, we used to use the acronym SCRIMM for remembering suspicious vehicles. Shape, Colour, Registration, Identifying marks, Make and Model. I ask the copper to remind me what the letter of the law is when it comes to defending myself against bike jackers. Reasonable force is the answer, he defines it by saying it would be bad if I chased the guys up the road kicking them in the head while they abandoned the theft.

Half an hour later, I jump back on the bike and make a five mile meal of a two mile ride, boxing around myself, doubling back on myself countless times and generally satisfying myself that nobody is following me. Again, this isn’t like the movies, it’s a pain in the arse doing it, but it’s worth it. Anyone that’s ever had a bike stolen will know how it feels to see an empty spot where your bike used to be, riding round the block a few times and hiding in the odd car parking spot is more than worth it. Once I’m home, the bike is secured, out of sight, out of mind, hopefully. I double-check my security measures, you should too. I had a lesson in paranoia today, one that you can benefit from. These are the keys things I’d recommend you do if you think you’re being followed.

Don’t go nuts and smash straight into them, there’s every chance they couldn’t be eyeing up your bike.
Confirm your suspicions, slow down and look a lot further back than you normally would if you were waiting for a mate to catch up.
Keep an eye on the road, you still have to ride and the more time you spend looking behind you, the less chance you’ll have of stopping for that car in front of you.

Use SCRIMM to remember details.
Hide for a bit, hiding is your friend.
Ride to the nearest police station if you can’t think of anywhere you know you’ll be able to hide your bike for a bit.
Make your route home as difficult and complicated as you can.
Check and double-check your home security when the bike is locked down.
Confrontation is the last resort, but if you have no option, leave your helmet and gloves on and swing them arms until they drop off. If your victim is wearing a helmet, grab the chin bar, twist it like its a door handle while you park your boot in between their legs. When they’re on the floor, stop. Repeat as necessary.

Words: @Johnatsuperbike
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: What to do if bike thieves are following you

Post by duke63 »

I have to say that if i lived in the south east, i probably would think twice about even owning a bike.

Its seems its a thieves paradise.
Binno
Your Bike: Hayabusa dogs dangly

Post by Binno »

Can you imagine having a fight with your bike gear on? It would last for ever. Short of a big knife or gun it would be like them trying to batter robocop. I'd have switched it and started following them.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Good read.

I've had a couple of occasions when I've pulled up on a bike and been worried. Once was some kids in a car about 3 cars back. They had 2 lids in the back of the car and when I saw one get out of the car with a lid I started to move forward away from the lights. Another time was wen 2 kids pulled up next to me on a scooter. I don't think they were after the bike but they looked like scrotes and were eyeing up the bike.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I've never had this, yet.

Interesting read, I don't know if I would be able to resit the temptation to be "a bit more proactive" if it happened to me.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

duke63 wrote:I have to say that if i lived in the south east, i probably would think twice about even owning a bike.

Its seems its a thieves paradise.
Living in the south east luckily I've only had one go walkies and that wasn't a bike theif specifically that was a guy who had robbed a pub and wanted a get away vehicle, my fault coz I hadn't chained it up, but a very good read, I read an article by the same guy a few months back where he said about changing your route home to stop people noticing your routine, that's stuck with me and I pay attention to that now
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I take about 6 different routes home. Bugger all to do with thieves and everything to do with what mood I'm in.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Good read about a horrible scenario.

I would try and loose them. If unsuccessful only option is go physco as there is no way the scrotes are taking my bike with out a fight and a bloody good one.

To quote John Travolta's character in pulp fiction " it would nearly be worth them doing it just to catch them doing it "
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Reminds me I really should get an alarm for my garage
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Never had anything like this happen to me but if I thought some fecker wanted to take my bike I'd just try and lose them if I couldn't I wouldn't let it go without a fight.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I take about 6 different routes home. Bugger all to do with thieves and everything to do with what mood I'm in.
I always try to switch routes regularly. IMO using the same route day after day can lead to complacency, that's when mistakes and accidents happen.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Ballpien
Your Bike:

Post by Ballpien »

C00kiemonster wrote:while you park your boot in between their legs.
The above is a very good reason not to
C00kiemonster wrote:leave your helmet on.
I've always been advised to get my lid off ASAP and use it as a weapon (if necessary, m'lud) :x
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I would certainly be swinging my helmet

StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Ballpien wrote:...I've always been advised to get my lid off ASAP and use it as a weapon (if necessary, m'lud) :x
Fwiw, I think this would depend a lot on the circumstances (& your potential assailants).

For example ; If they exited a car carrying baseball bats, I'd probably be inclined to leave mine on. ?
Ballpien
Your Bike:

Post by Ballpien »

If they exited a car carrying BB I'd be into 1st gear and off on my toes, so to speak

Otherwise, agreed about the situation
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That really is a good read. I would drive around as much as possible and try to find some sort of hiding place. But of someone was exiting a car who wanted to Nick the bike there and then...well think I'd piss my pants and try to make a getaway!!