Perkles New Bike

Love your bike or working on a project, post up a thread here and share with the forum
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Perkles New Bike

Post by Perkles »

I fitted exhaust valve eliminators as well ,it shoots flames now :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Always remember Kwacky's Speed Triple used to split blue flames.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Bilstein are a new player in performance suspension. Doing some interesting stuff with a s1000rr 8)

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4101 ... w-s1000rr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I'm to old and fat to appreciate better suspension plus it's got dds active suspension that allows for my massive lunch for the ride back home
If you go into user mode you can adjust and set every suspension parameter including reaction time I dont understand it so just ride around in sport if it's a bumpy road or race if annoying MV Augustas are out
Race is far to stiff for the road and if you put it in slick mode it will apparently kill you
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:Bilstein are a new player in performance suspension. Doing some interesting stuff with a s1000rr 8)

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4101 ... w-s1000rr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's on your pantigirdle ?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My mates Gen 2 BMW felt incredibly plush in slick mode.. I felt the rear squat and wiggle under full throttle and still no traction control light.

I saw that Bilstein post the other day, looks tasty! Only for BMWs first. A team in NLR endurance had been given a set for evaluation
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I had custom bilsteins on my old 911 it was like a roller skate
Slick mode limits all the rider safety aids ,hardly any engine braking no rear abs ,no anti wheelie etc etc
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:
Blade wrote:Bilstein are a new player in performance suspension. Doing some interesting stuff with a s1000rr 8)

What's on your pantigirdle ?
Stock forks and a TTx36 on the rear. Rides well (y)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Have you ever had any issue with your forks, Blade?

I believe quite a few owners have had Panigale forks lose all their damping and had a hefty bill to fix it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Have you ever had any issue with your forks, Blade?

I believe quite a few owners have had Panigale forks lose all their damping and had a hefty bill to fix it.
No, but you've got me worried now.

Which bike ? As some have Ohlins, Showa or Marzocchi forks.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The Marzocchi forks were a problem on the 1199. Not sure if the 1299 is the same. The PB mag editors brother had to have his rebuilt as there is a rubber bladder in them and once that goes they need to be rebuilt with new cartridges. I will see if I can find the article out.

Someone asked for a set on the ducatiforum a few weeks ago as they have the same issue.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Would be good if you found the article Duke. You have me intrigued, not heard of a bladder in a cartridge fork. May need to strip my down for a check???
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

A good mechanic told me the fork oil should be changed every 3 years with the seals checked
I wasnt that impressed with the online ttx shock on my old zx10r ,I had my suspension on my old gsxr750 rebuilt with fork oil ,valves and spring fitted to suit my weight by ktech and it felt a millions times better
The online ttx was a waste of money I'd rather have my suspension set up for weight and riding type by a reputable company otherwise itz just a bit of pointless bling
Blade

Post by Blade »

On the 1299 I ve set the TTX up for me with the correct weight spring, set the sag and adjusted the damping to mine own settings and it works perfectly. I disagree good supension is just pointless bling, but do agree it needs setting up correctly just as any suspension does, as if not then obviously it is a pretty pointless upgrade.

I've had the standard forks on the sp2 revalved and they work perfectly and bike handles sublime even though its 16 years old. The Honda also has an Ohlins shock and a different link installed and I've radically altered the bikes geometry too and she is night and day different for it.

I stripped and serviced the forks on the Honda with new seals, bushes and fresh oil last winter myself but I had Ducati do it on the Panigale as it was only £90 on top of a minor service cost, and wouldn't be any cheaper doing myself tbh.

I typically change the fork oil every 2 to 3 years and seals as and when needed. If you invest in the correct tools and a decent spring compressor its relatively straight forward job if you competent at basic mechanical skills.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:Would be good if you found the article Duke. You have me intrigued, not heard of a bladder in a cartridge fork. May need to strip my down for a check???
I'll have a look. If it was in PB i should still have it, but no sure on the PS/PB mag.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:Would be good if you found the article Duke. You have me intrigued, not heard of a bladder in a cartridge fork. May need to strip my down for a check???
There would be a bladder in certain types of pressurised cartridge systems. It does the same job as the reservoir on a shock but you probably already knew or guessed that.

The most common problem with bladders is incorrect material supply.

I honestly couldn't tell you what type of suspension your bike comes with
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:On the 1299 I ve set the TTX up for me with the correct weight spring, set the sag and adjusted the damping to mine own settings and it works perfectly. I disagree good supension is just pointless bling, but do agree it needs setting up correctly just as any suspension does, as if not then obviously it is a pretty pointless upgrade.

I've had the standard forks on the sp2 revalved and they work perfectly and bike handles sublime even though its 16 years old. The Honda also has an Ohlins shock and a different link installed and I've radically altered the bikes geometry too and she is night and day different for it.

I stripped and serviced the forks on the Honda with new seals, bushes and fresh oil last winter myself but I had Ducati do it on the Panigale as it was only £90 on top of a minor service cost, and wouldn't be any cheaper doing myself tbh.

I typically change the fork oil every 2 to 3 years and seals as and when needed. If you invest in the correct tools and a decent spring compressor its relatively straight forward job if you competent at basic mechanical skills.
I didnt say good suspension was pointless bling I said if it's not set up for the person and type of riding it is
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:My mates Gen 2 BMW felt incredibly plush in slick mode.. I felt the rear squat and wiggle under full throttle and still no traction control light.

I saw that Bilstein post the other day, looks tasty! Only for BMWs first. A team in NLR endurance had been given a set for evaluation
That's because it has no traction control in slick mode :P
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote:
There would be a bladder in certain types of pressurised cartridge systems. It does the same job as the reservoir on a shock but you probably already knew or guessed that.

The most common problem with bladders is incorrect material supply.

I honestly couldn't tell you what type of suspension your bike comes with
Good info Cav. Just found this article on the bladder

https://ducatiforum.com/threads/marzocc ... -oem.3046/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:
Blade wrote:On the 1299 I ve set the TTX up for me with the correct weight spring, set the sag and adjusted the damping to mine own settings and it works perfectly. I disagree good supension is just pointless bling, but do agree it needs setting up correctly just as any suspension does, as if not then obviously it is a pretty pointless upgrade.

I didnt say good suspension was pointless bling I said if it's not set up for the person and type of riding it is
My bad (facepalm) I misread your post :?