Recommend me...

Reviews and recommendations of bike services and products you have had experiences with, both good and bad
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Recommend me...

Post by Rossgo »

A Master braking cylinder. Not that my bike is terrible at stopping but I just know I could be getting a tad more. I'm thinking Brembo but what else have people tried?

I've got SBS RS pads
Brembo calipers
HEL braided lines

Now I'm thinking of finishing off the job with the master Cylinder

It won't be right away, again prob be next year now until after the wedding but I like to take my time to think about it all

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Recommend me...

Post by Blade »

Brembo RCS is a good option as has adjustable ratio, so you can experiment and get the feel you like.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/brembo- ... er-241493/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Actually looks like HEL make an adjustable ratio one now for the bargain price of 199. Slightly different in you change the lever instead of the pivot point to adjust the ratio, but achieves the same thing.

https://www.helperformance.com/hel-perf ... rHEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Option 3 is from Accossato and another good piece of kit. You won't go wrong with any of them.

http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/br ... -pd-21.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

There all a 19mm bore. The only real difference is the ratio options are slightly different.

The HeL is the cheapest and has 3 good options for ratios so that would probably be my preference.

FYI the Brembo only has 18 or 20 ratio and the Accossato doesnt have the shortest travel 20 ratio option. So I would go with the Hel, it gives you a good range of ratios at a fantastic price.
Last edited by Blade on 29 Sep 2019, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Accossato is my recommendation.

Unless your rich then go Beringer.

But like Blade says, any of the ones he's recommended will do the job well.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Ok call me dumb but what does all the ratios mean? 18, 19 or 20mm bore? What differences would I expect to feel with these?

Also thank you for your recommendations you guys are always so helpful

Blade

Post by Blade »

Read half way down the HEL link I posted.

https://www.helperformance.com/hel-perf ... rHEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the ratio between lever travel to MC piston travel. It doesn't alter the hydraulic power but the feel which can be wrongly interpretated as more hydraulic power.

In layman's terms you pull the lever less on a 20 ratio for the same brake force than you would on an 18 ratio. This may feel like stronger brakes but they will also feel more wooden which may not be to your liking. By having adjustable ratios you can adjust the feel of the brake to your personal preference.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I would always recommend a pad change first and a good service of the caliper before investing in a aftermarket MC but as you've already done that I would go for it.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Blade that's a good explanation. I'm unsure what mine currently has so I think I'd have to work from there I know lots a Nissin MC. Mine aren't bad but I do have to squeeze the lever a tad more than what I'd like to. Hence why I'd like to invest in something else.

Thank you for the links. Part of me really wants Brembo but Hel is a great price and sure would do the job brilliantly, never heard of the other manufacturer before to be honest but looks pretty decent.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They're usually 14 or 16mm as standard
Blade

Post by Blade »

Look in your maintenance manual it will specify the bore but probably not the ratio.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers fellas I have tried to find out online but it doesn't say much. Or maybe my researching just isn't good enough.

I'll take a look inside the manual as well and update on here.

I like asking your guys questions as theres bot much you lads haven't done before and knowledge is second to none so rather take what you guys know than what others say online!

Blade

Post by Blade »

If your struggling with lever travel I would start by bleeding the brakes it could be as simple as a tiny amount of air is in there.

Before I changed the clutch slave cylinder on the Ducati, I would bleed the clutch MC before almost every ride.

If there isnt a nipple at the mc, cracking the banjo bolt is just as effective , just be careful you dont pull air in.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo wrote:Cheers fellas I have tried to find out online but it doesn't say much. Or maybe my researching just isn't good enough.

I'll take a look inside the manual as well and update on here.

I like asking your guys questions as theres bot much you lads haven't done before and knowledge is second to none so rather take what you guys know than what others say online!

It wont be in the handbook Rossgo. It will be in the maintenance manual on the first few pages of the chapter on brakes where the technical specifications for all brake parts are listed.

As I say definitely make sure the system is 100% before upgrading. Some people upgrade MC when all it needs is bleeding.

Do you have a Brembo MC as OEM equipment?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Ok well I got a Haynes at home or it should be in there as I know it's got a lot of specs.

I've bled it a couple of times now due to different reasons, installing the braided lines and after changing pistons in one of my Brembo calipers. And I'm not saying it's bad because it is fairly decent braking but I know it could be different. They are strong as are but sure I can get them to a better feeling.

Just watched a youtube clip where the guy was saying his OEM were good but the Brembo RCS is better. Not due to maintenance but the specs of both are different.

The RCS is expensive without a doubt and I wouldn't get the full benefit of it......... but you know........Brembo

The OEM is Nissin MC which is still installed
Calipers are Brembo
Hel braided lines

Blade

Post by Blade »

Sounds like you have made a lot of changes Rossgo and you have air in there imho.

Can be an absolute c1nt to get all the air out, especially on bikes with abs. Loads of methods but if your struggling might be worth getting a mechanic to bleed.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's good advice. The abs system on bikes can be a bitch to get 100% clear.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I don't think there is any air in there purely because the last time I bled it only fluid was coming out. This was approx April time. I would expect to air some air bubbles in the pipe whilst bleeding even if just tiny ones. But I spent some time doing it and watching it and taking care

Although who knows could very well be something in there that I couldn't see.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:That's good advice. The abs system on bikes can be a bitch to get 100% clear.
I would love to have ABS but if I had that I wouldn't touch the brakes! I've heard stories about it being a b&*ch to change fluid, I don't fancy messing around with that lol!!