Project ZX6R

From a simple respray to a full blown rebuild or restoration, post some pics in here so we can all admire your work.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Project ZX6R

Post by Kwacky »

What sort of muppet would have gold wheels on their bike?

(devil)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

:x
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

I really like the idea of a bare metal tank

also like Perkles idea of colour and bare metal stripes
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Sounds like your goo g to have a lot of fun researching all your potential investments!! Any pics of what your bike looks like at the moment? I can't really comment on any upgrades as don't really customize my bikes but everyone else seems to have a lot of knowledge about it all and are helping guess it's down to you what you want now :-)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'll take some photos and post them up later on.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've taken some photos with my camera but my boss has nicked the camera for work.

New brake lines on order. Hel braided with clear coatings. Race lines (one to each caliper) rather than the split or over configuration.

I was tempted to get new brake pads as well, because I don't like these but I'll wait to see how the bike feesl with new lines and fluid.

One of the lads yesterday had some copy Rizoma mirrors. They looked pretty good and were about £30 for a pair. I'm tempted.

On order are some new grips as I've killed my old ones off.

As for the tank I'm going to get this one repaired and painted. The bare metal would look good but it seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Things will have to slow down now. At the end of this month I have to pay for the replacement fairings. Next month is insurance renewal time, which isn't cheap with a crash and a theft on your cards, then the end of July the Kwacky's are on holiday.

The only thing I'm going to do is an oil change after the next track day.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Ive got the Race set up Hel lines mate, I have found they are brilliant, really improved the feel of the brakes on mine, had them on my old CBR too, brilliant mod
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, I did it on my cbr. You can tell the difference. And it makes life easier to bleed the brakes.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm in a bad mood. I wasn't in the best of moods before I started if Im honest.

Today highlighted the joys of not having a garage. Each time I went to do some work on the bike it rained. Walking backwards and forwards through the house fetching tools and other bits you need gets tiring.

I've got the grips on. They look good. The throttle is good when twisted but it's got a bit of play the other way. I've not decided if it's an issue yet. I'll know when it get the bike out.

The brake lines are fitted. The rear line is a pain to bleed. The reservoir is attached to a piece of plastic you have to remove to get to it. So it's not attached to anything when you need to fill it. Nice work, Kawasaki.

The front lines went on but the old lines were a real PITA to remove. If anything they're over engineered.

Housing the front reservoir is a pain. The OEM has a vertical stand, the aftermarket is horizontal. I've housed it but I'm not happy where it is. I think I'll treat myself to a proper adjustable reservoir mount.

Without a bleeding kit it's been a bit of a pain to get it all set up. There's fluid in the system but there's also a bit of air. I've had enough for today. I'll finish bleeding the system tomorrow evening.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Don't be too harsh. You've made progress and Im confident you will go back more relaxed tomorrow and bleed the front brakes and all will be well.

I often get hot under my collar when doing mods as nothing seems to fit sometimes
But its always worth all the effort in the end.

I'm currently at work so can't take calls but if I can help and you want another opinion on anything pm me and I'll ring you back. Got lots of tricks for bleeding brakes all learnt the hard way of being very frustrated with a really stubborn air pocket resisting being released from the system. Believe me I have some effective techniques you won't find in any manual
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Blade, very much appreciated.

I'll have another go tomorrow and see how that goes. I'm normally ok but I couldn't do it in one go due to the rain .

D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Best thing you can do sometimes with bleeding brakes is to walk away and have another go later. The rear on the RSV usually takes 3 sittings, some swearing, and taking the calliper off.

What do you recon to the quality of the lines?
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They're the usual Hel quality. The could be a little on the long side, but not by much. That said I've been unable in the past to fit an after market master cylinder as the lines weren't long enough. Besides, I would prefer to have them slightly long as it puts less stress on them when the bike is moving.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I like the bar end lever protectors. Not bad at all :)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I had a pair of lightech bar ends but one got damaged in the drop. I swapped the good one over and put the brake lever protector on the other side.

It's a nice bit of kit but it could so with something to plug up the gap. You only notice it if you look for it.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

The gap is useful in someways, stops the grip fouling it at the end. Worse case the bar needs to be painted black in the gap?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Can't help with any advise here but I agree with the whole no garage thing! I have had to deal with the same crap, bring out what you think you need then realise your a a tool short then start again then realise your another tool again!! Then when your done you got to walk it all back!! Bloody nightmare!

Love the lever protectors I guess they worked in your tip!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Brakes still feel a little spongy so I'll bleed them out again tonight.

Those brake pads are going. I can't get on with them.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

New Bendix pads are in.

I've done a quick bleed of the brakes but they're still spongy. I'm starting to suspect it's the after market lever. I've heard of people having similar issues on other bikes. So either I go back to stock or I switch it all over and put the Beringer on.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:.I've done a quick bleed of the brakes but they're still spongy. I'm starting to suspect it's the after market lever.....
As I said previously.: I spent (weeks) overhauling an entire braking system in an attempt to eliminate spongy brakes. What really annoyed me in the end was that it would only have taken 10mins to have tried the O/E lever back on & realised that it was the aftermarket lever that was the cause, in that instance.