Unable to get Fuel Tank back on, help. D600

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
highflyer79
Your Bike: D600

Unable to get Fuel Tank back on, help. D600

Post by highflyer79 »

Hi All

New to this. I have had the fuel tank and airbox off, eventually got the airbox back on with a little extra force, but cannot for the life of me get the tank on. It'll fit on the blocks at the rear ( by the seat ) but will not be anywhere near the hole up the front by the yoke.

I have had it back off double checked not fouling on anything. Had the airbox back off to make sure that it is fully down and not preventing the tank from sitting properly. This is now bugging the hell out me.

Anybody else had this problem or any other ideas to throw at me to try :-(

Thanks in advance
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Re: Unable to get Fuel Tank back on, help. D600

Post by Monty »

When you say nowhere near the hole at the front do you mean up and down or front to back?
Monty™© MCMLXXII
highflyer79

Post by highflyer79 »

Yeah sorry should of described it a little better. It seems about half a hole past the screw hole in the frame. Pretty positive that its not sitting fully down as the tank doesn't seem as flush on the rhs. But like I said I have removed it all agin to double check everything. TBH I can't remember how close the sides of the tank fit to the frame. But either way the front of the tank seems too far forward.

Hate not succeeding and resorting to asking for help. But appreciate the replys :-)
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

The little brackets that the aluminium posts sit on may have moved, they are bolted to the frame from underneath. Worth a check, should be about a 5mm gap between the frame and the tank.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

They are plastic tanks aren't they? May have swollen due to ethanol in the fuel.

I'm led to believe that if you empty the tank and leave it, it will shrink back to normal but have no idea if this is true.
highflyer79

Post by highflyer79 »

Cheers for the responses. Managed to get a mate over and with a bit of brute force managed to get the allen key and rubber mounts at the forward end in. I guess the rubber needed compressing. But took a bit of persuasion. The tank was fitting nicely on either side but the rhs is slightly bigger gap than the left. Not by much but enough for my OCD tendencies to notice.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Glad its sorted (y)

Where are you in the Midlands?
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
jlawie
Your Bike: Daytona 600 2004

Post by jlawie »

highflyer79 wrote:Cheers for the responses. Managed to get a mate over and with a bit of brute force managed to get the allen key and rubber mounts at the forward end in. I guess the rubber needed compressing. But took a bit of persuasion. The tank was fitting nicely on either side but the rhs is slightly bigger gap than the left. Not by much but enough for my OCD tendencies to notice.
Funny you should say this. I've never had a problem with it lining up, until now! Proper struggle to get back on! From what I can see, nothing's moved or restricting it. Just fooking tight!!
highflyer79

Post by highflyer79 »

Sorry I've Jinxed you all now. I hope you managed to get it on now