D650 Electrics/Starting issues

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
evo
Your Bike: 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster, 2005 Triumph Daytona 650

D650 Electrics/Starting issues

Post by evo »

Hey everyone…

As some of you know I have had some ongoing starting issues with my D650, and haven't ridden it in about 2 years now. It's been sitting in it's parking spot and now it's time for me to try and fix her up and get her going again.

to recap:
I posted a video recently [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRHF1SkkPQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] showing the issues I was having, and long story short, I've replaced the Stator with one from Rick's, and upgraded the Regulator to a Shindengen FH020AA with the Triumph T2500676 wiring harness also…battery is 'new' but unused for two years, seems to hold a great charge… It still wouldn't want to even think about firing up, rev counter wouldn't 'sweep' and no signs of live when trying to start other than a 'relay click'.

So…

I scored a wiring harness (main and sub by the looks of it) off eBay for a $100…complete with relays, mostly. I've been docking around with those and noticed that if I disconnect the middle one from the left of the battery the electrics come alive!

Check out the video below to see the latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD3qhxmbzOg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was looking through the service manual, and found out the relay in question is the Fuel Pump Relay… but the plug (or further back), and not the really itself, it seems. So, progress…

Any thoughts as to what needs to be done next? I'm thinking I'll try and take the tank off and take the Fuel Pump out, inspect and clean that, see if it helps…

Cheers as always fellas!
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Re: D650 Electrics/Starting issues

Post by D6 »

No idea sorry, but glad you are making progress.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I'm no D650 expert, but generally if you disconnect something in an electrical system and then everything works it follows there's a problem with what you have disconnected. Perhaps unplugging the fuel pump and then replacing the fuel pump relay might show whether the fuel pump has a short circuit and is pulling the voltage down beyond the point at which the ecu can function (most ecu's won't tolerate voltages below 11-10.5volts), thus causing the electrics to shut down. If it still cuts out perhaps the relay is faulty?
evo

Post by evo »

well, I took the fuel tank off and removed the fuel pump and filter… both look to be ok who knows.
I plugged everything in except the pump, just left that unplugged from the plate…with all relays attached (see video previously posted) and the electrics look great!
This must surely mean that it's a bad fuel pump! That I can handle easily, gonna see if I can find one locally, if not next weekend we'll see if I can get her fired up!
IF, I can, I'll take her in for a 40k service, new sprockets, new tyres… oh I'm so excited!
evo

Post by evo »

well…new fuel pump and fuel filter…well charged battery, and the electrics look good to great…sometimes the needle will sweep all the way, sometimes halfway quickly. But, she starts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpf6GpK3MHk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

time to get her to the dealer for a full on 40k service…
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Excellent news. Hope the service goes well and you can get out on it and enjoy some blasts.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Well done. Top news.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Brilliant, can't beat the feeling of fixing something like this!
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Glad its all come together for you (y)
Hope the service is beneficial
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©