Fettling ruined my bike....

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Fettling ruined my bike....

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:Find out what is the approved coolant in the manual and just put that in will be the easiest option Rossgo.

You shouldn't mix OAT and IAT which are types of coolant and some are not friendly if your bike has internal magnesium parts.

But as I say dont over complicate it just go with manufacturers recommendation and you can't go wrong.
Cheers Blade. It's crazy. I was looking at what those 2 meant to be honest!! I found out these no magnesium I'm my bike that was from a dealership so they said either will be fine just dont mix them!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:I can't honestly say Rossgo as I dont know whats in there currently.

What you have bought is a Organic Additive Technology (OAT) Coolant which is fine if you already have a OAT type coolant in your engine..

If you currently have a Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) Coolant in your engine and the IAT and OAT coolants mix a chemical reaction takes place and sludge can be formed.

Your Options

1. Find out what type of coolant is in there. If its 6 years old I assume its the original manufacturers coolant type. if this is OAT then just do a normal coolant change.

2. If you don't know whats in there and cannot find out then do a flush of the system with water to chase as much of the old "Unknown" Coolant from the system before filling up with the Triumph OAT you have purchased.

Note: That Triumph stuff is premixed so DONT dilute with water as 50:50 as it is already done.

TIP: Don't trust Service guys, some are good and have good technical knowledge, others are shop keepers and just sell you stuff and say "Yeah be reet that mate, sold loads" which doesn't mean its right, nor does it mean they give a flying fook :^
Thanks again Blade. Brilliant having all your knowledge and expertise in here. I do enjoy working on my bike and lile you say, i like to know what jobs really get done. At the dealers you never quite know what they do, lile to think they do a decent job but if I do it then at least I know!

Yes I'll defo flush the system I have no idea what's in it. I'll buy some distilled water tomorrow and use that to flush the system. That's pretty cheap and therrs a couple of car places around her so should be able to pick them up or Halfords, although didn't see it in there, have to take another look! I want the Old stuff fully out of my system and I want fresh inside

Yea i did think that about the service guy but I talked to 4 of them all different places and all said the same thing, they are ok to use but must not be cross contaminated.

Thanks for your advice Image

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Picked up 3 litres of coolant and also a litre of DOT 4 brake fluid

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yesterday changed the coolant. Took my time over it, really enjoyed doing it. The Old coolant wasn't too bad to be fair. But i wanted fresh stuff, at least then I know it will last a while longer. Also saved a fair bit instead of getting a garage to do it and I know it was done right!

Just gotta do this brake caliper now.

I had my vacuum bleeding kit turn up yesterday.

Geniunely for £13 it looks the part. Parts look good quaility and the pump has one hell of a suck on it! I'm hoping this will relieve me from now on when having to bleed the brakes.

I may try on my first night shift during the day. See if it really Does make it a 1 man job!

Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Just catching up on threads,

You done yet lol

I remember when my rear brake jammed on with the S1000 RR, I had to buy a new pot, as the incert on the piston itself got so hot it cracked it.......now that was a nightmare to get out, there was no way that could get used again.... dirty great big plier marks and gouges ha ha.....it's the small jobs you expect to take very little time that become an all day affair that really wipe you out....

Did the same with KR1s brakes, full strip down and service and a repainted with calliper paint, along job.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Frankie wrote:Just catching up on threads,

You done yet lol

I remember when my rear brake jammed on with the S1000 RR, I had to buy a new pot, as the incert on the piston itself got so hot it cracked it.......now that was a nightmare to get out, there was no way that could get used again.... dirty great big plier marks and gouges ha ha.....it's the small jobs you expect to take very little time that become an all day affair that really wipe you out....

Did the same with KR1s brakes, full strip down and service and a repainted with calliper paint, along job.
Oh no Frankie bet that was a nightmare. Glad you got it all sorted though. Couldn't agree more. When I installed my braided lines I wasn't expecting it to take so long but trying to bleed the brakes took hours! By time I did it, I had the mud guard off and wheel off and it was pitch black outside!! I'm.more wiser now....a tube doesn't cut it no matter how many YouTube vids you watch ImageImageImage

Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Rossgo wrote:...and the pump has one hell of a suck on it! I'm hoping this will relieve me from now on...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Itchy wrote:
Rossgo wrote:...and the pump has one hell of a suck on it! I'm hoping this will relieve me from now on...
Trust you to swing that Itchy ImageImageImage

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

So you're all done and it's looking good?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cav wrote:So you're all done and it's looking good?
Image no not yet.

Oil and filter changed
Coolant changed
Air filter checked
Plugs were done end of last year

Just gotta change the pistons and seals. I've bought new fluid so may bleed brakes tomorrow before night shift

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Ok so.a little update. Used that bleed kit today. What a fantastic piece of kit to use. Just set up, place the nozzle on the bleed nipple, loosen the nipple and just start pumping. No need to pump the brakes, that thing is brilliant!!

Then thought well why not try to take the pistons out.

I had a pair of right angle pliers and pulled and pulled. It didn't budge.

I then took off the caliper and tried again, still no luck

So.....

Decided to take it down to Triumph, what great bunch they are down there. I asked to see a tech, he took a look said to me to wait a couple of mins, popped into his garage and 2 mins later he came out and said done!!

I said a massive thank you and gave him a fiver for his trouble which he didn't want but I forced him to take it, a massive grin popped across his face and I said to him get a pint on me. He said thank you he will!!

So their out, I gotta now replace the seals and new pistons then refill with fluid

Hoping to get this done on Wednesday or Thursday maybe.

I'll keep this updated!!ImageImageImage

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Nice one Rossgo. The bike will feel awesome after all this maintenance and you wjll have the satisfaction of doing it all yourself. Win win
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Nice going there buddy!

Before you pop the seals out, run your finger along the inner most seal from in to out and from out to in..... can you feel a lip on one side and not the other? Take note for when you put the new ones in

Like with anything else, take your time and don't rush it :)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers fellas.

@Blade defo agree with you there. I enjoy sorting out my bikes and do feel very impressed with myself when I do something to them, I think it's a little escape from everything, you have a task and can take your time over it. I'm no expert and certainly not fast at doing things but I enjoy it all

Yea slowly but surely this will get done. I also gave it a good clean while it's out, you are able to get so much of the inner guts you never can really get too while it's all still on!

@Cav I will check that. I'm on nights for the next couple of days so it won't get touched until Wednesday maybr Thursday depending how I feel. However i dont believe there is a lip on it as the new seals look pretty flat BUT I haven't actually inspected them yet.

I'll let you all know how I get on

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Im always slow when working on the bike tbh Rossgo. One I don't want to rush and make mistakes but you always find extra little jobs as you go that you never planned for, and these need taking care of too.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

New seals and new pistons are in

Just waiting for new washers to turn up so i can put my brake lines back on and renew the brake fluid then that will be it it will need a test ride then finished

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Piston seals in, pistons in. Caliper installed. Brakes front and rear bled. And left 2 strong cable ties around my front brake. Heard it's a good way to finish off the bleeding process. I'll leave that for 24 hours and see!

Thanks for your help guys

May keep this thread open and if I do anything else I'll refer back to here!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Will just mention this bit of kit (Vacuum pump brake bleeder kit) is fantastic geniunely makes bleed brakes a doddle and to be honest I think I enjoyed using it! If anyone does their own brake bleeding then I would highly recommend this pump kit. All for a grand total of £13 as well!!Image

StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Rossgo wrote:. All for a grand total of £13 as well!!
(y) Sounds like a bargain Rossgo.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

It is...it actually works!!