Fettling ruined my bike....

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Fettling ruined my bike....

Post by Rossgo »

ImageImage

Ok not quite true but i have screwed up 2 of my 4 brake pistons in my caliper.

Hold my hands up my own fault. All I wanted to do was clean the pistons and pads up before getting to use it...was planning to use it on Friday but that's not going to happen now!!

So currently my pistons are stuck fully out at a slight angle. I've checked everything I can whilst still fully loaded with brake fluid.

I've ordered a new piston and seal set as if I have to bleed the calipers and pull the pistons I may as well replace it all.

Is it a ball ache...f' Yes it is. Can I do it....I can't bleed brakes to save my life...last time I tried it took hours, little dribbles at a time...anyone got any other tips than a bit of pipe and opening and closing off the nipple, I'm all ears!!

Today all I wanted to do was change the oil and filter and clean up the pistons, take my time have a relaxing day instead I'm aching all over and my fingers are sore because of pushing too much on them trying to push them back!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Rossgo on 20 Mar 2019, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Fettling ruined my bike....

Post by Rossgo »

@Cav

"Keep the reservoir lid on and sealed. Also, keep as large a section of the brake hose as possible below the caliper (i.e. hold the caliper up). You want to avoid losing all fluid from the lines.

You can do it though, I have before now. Make sure you have something you can rest them on, too in case you need to get up and grab any other tools.

Be methodical and think it through as best possible - it seems worse than it actually is"

Cheers for your advice here Cav. I'll take a look on Friday and see what i can do.

Unsure if you will see this post but it's copied and pasted from the other thread.

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's all a learning curve mate.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yea very true it is, I've learned and if I do pull the pistons then I'll learn how to replace it all too!

Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Sh1t happens to the best of us Rossgo don't beat yourself up pal.

Bleeding new lines can be an arse but if you have fluid in there and no air it should be just a case of displacing the old fluid and replacing with new fluid. If it isn't it's likely you have air in the system or air is getting drawn in when your bleeding them would be my educated guess.

Sorry not very helpful but hard to help when your not there.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Get some red rubber grease to smear on the pistons.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Having had "immense fun" bleeding the brakes on the RSV I can seriously recommend speed bleeding kits. A bit of tube, a bag, and a one way valve. It means you dont need to be quite so precise on closing the bleed nipple.

But to be honest, it only really comes with practice. It's a crap job and I hate it.

If your really struggling I might be able to pop over at the weekend if it helps. I know your not that far from me.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

am I the only one who likes bleeding brakes? I find it strangely rewarding.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:am I the only one who likes bleeding brakes? I find it strangely rewarding.
The vfr needs both front and rear refreshed as well as the clutch. I'll drop it off on Sunday then ? ;)

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

45 an hour plus materials
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:45 an hour plus materials
I need to get a second quote to compare to... Wonder if blade is busy?

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

To many to comment on.

I'll be honest I've just looked at a few reviews and thought I'd invest some big money.....all £13.09 in a vacuum bleeding kit. Reviews say it works and should be here by next week if I dont get around to doing it on Friday!! I hope it works for me.

@Blade you are prob right, when I did it last I could of been getting air into the system and buggering it all up

Nutz thankyou for the offer I may take it up but not this weekend as I'll be working!! I'll keep this thread going and let you all know what's going on. If I dont get it done by Friday then I'll have to wait until my next stretch of time off.

All I know is this bike HAS to be up and running for Wales run in April ImageImage

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The vacuum kits are good for drawing new fluid through but the old fashioned method of an old jam jar, some plastic tubing, a spanner and a second pair of hands is still the best way of getting air out of the system. You could add one of those one way valves on the plastic tubing to add an extra safeguard if you wanted.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

duke63 wrote:The vacuum kits are good for drawing new fluid through but the old fashioned method of an old jam jar, some plastic tubing, a spanner and a second pair of hands is still the best way of getting air out of the system. You could add one of those one way valves on the plastic tubing to add an extra safeguard if you wanted.
Cheers Duke. I'll bare this in mind, i do have tube with a 1 way valve so ill givr it a crack on friday but the vacuum pump is there just in case!

You guys are absolute stars. Thankyou everyone.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:am I the only one who likes bleeding brakes? I find it strangely rewarding.
No your not on your own (lol)
Blade

Post by Blade »

D6Nutz wrote:

I'm way more expensive than 45 an hour, but you get what you pay for (lol)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

This might seem like a random question, but where are the bleed nipples on the calipers? And where are they when your doing the bleeding?

This may sound a bit like teaching your grannie to suck eggs.. but.. from my experience, make sure the calipers are dropped right down and the brake lines are at almost full stretch. Then make sure the caliper is rotated so the bleed nipple is at the top and then the container your are draining into is lower than everything. That setup should give the least chance of air getting caught in the system. Finally, with all the bleed nipples closed, again keeping the bleed nipple at the top, give the caliper a bit of a shake to see if there are any air bubbles stuck somewhere.

**Lessons learned from an RSV rear caliper where the fecking bleed nipple was on the bottom of the caliper.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote: **Lessons learned from an RSV rear caliper where the fecking bleed nipple was on the bottom of the caliper.
Italian logic for you mate ImageImage

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:

ImageImage i actually agree with you there Blade, I dont trust people working on my cars or bikes hence trying to do bits and pieces myself, but i would have no issues handing over my keys to you for you to sort out issues!

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:
Blade wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:I need to get a second quote to compare to... Wonder if blade is busy?

ImageImage i actually agree with you there Blade, I dont trust people working on my cars or bikes hence trying to do bits and pieces myself, but i would have no issues handing over my keys to you for you to sort out issues!

I wouldn't trust blade to worked my bike tbh.... When I eventually got it back I reckon 80% of it would have been replaced ;) ;) lol