SV650 Alarm problem

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Hippy
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 600

SV650 Alarm problem

Post by Hippy »

Hello all, been a while since i've posted on here, hope you're all well.

I have a problem with the missus' curvy SV.

She flattened the battery the other day trying to start it in the morning, I didn't put it on charge immediately and left it a couple of days, when I got round to it, the battery was totally dead, I had to fiddle with the charger a fair bit to get it to start charging.

Anyway, It charged happily after a while, went to start it and couldn't turn the alarm off.
The button does nothing, no beeps etc.
I changed the batteries in the fob, and tried the other fob too but still no joy

Turning the key turns the ignition on, lights come on etc. (kill switch, clutch and sidestand checked) but nothing happens when you press the starter.

The bike sits there immobilised, no alarm LED flashing either.

Doing a bit of research, it seems I may have 'spiked' the alarm while charging it.

It's a pain to get to the alarm to take it apart, and taking it off isn't an option either.

Someone suggested I leave it unhooked for several hours (tried)
And to connect the +ve and -ve alarm wires together (with no battery connected obv's) and leave it, but no joy either.

Before I start pulling the bike apart to get to the alarm, anyone got any bright ideas? Alarm is a META (system 3 probably)

Cheers
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: SV650 Alarm problem

Post by Kwacky »

Anyway of finding out for sure which type of alarm it is?

I had a datatool 3 do the same thing.
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

It's definitely a meta alarm, one keyfob button. I'll dig through the docs.

How did you fix yours?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I had it reset.

This thread seems to discuss the same issues you're having

https://forum.motorcyclenews.com/topic/ ... m-problems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Thanks, i'll try leaving it disconnected overnight, I fear it might need to be reset and reprogrammed, I guess I could strip it down as much as I can to limit the amount of time a garage has to spend on it.

Will report back
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Bit of an update on this.

Alarm turned out to be a Meta 357t (v1)
These things are nigh on impossible to fix once the battery is dead.

Difficult to get to (remove tail section), cut slots in the security screws and remove, then you can take the alarm off.

The battery had obviously gone bad by the smell, and the leaked acid on the bottom, clearly completely dead.

I tried prying it apart and the plastic had gone brittle and shattered, even getting the outer case apart by force revealed an inner case covered in glue and bed into the outer case, there was no way I was getting in there without significant damage, and the battery acid smell was making me want to vom, so I binned the whole thing.

I cut my losses and ordered a 357t v2 off tinternet at the missus' request, however, the V1 and V2 alarms are not compatible, they have different looms, so you cant swap one for the other, and you can't buy the V1 alarm new anymore, if you have this problem, you should be able to get one from a breakers if you can also get the fobs.

Doing a bit of digging, I worked out how to bypass the alarm (not going to post how on here) without removing the loom, no more alarm, no more problem.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Hippy I've got the triumph alarm bypass plug that goes into the loom if you have any more issues, going for free if you need it
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Thanks monty but it's for my wifes SV650 and i've already cut the alarm section of the loom.

It's actually really easy to bypass the alarm, providing you can get to the alarm connector
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Doh! Note to self, read tread title!
Monty™© MCMLXXII