Starlane Ionic NRG QuickShifter Install

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Starlane Ionic NRG QuickShifter Install

Post by wazza675 »

These are one of the few stand alone units that fit first gen Daytona 675s (along side Bazzaz and Annitori) .

Has anyone installed one?

Here are the instructions:
http://www.starlane.it/ftp/manuali/Ionic_NRG_Eng.pdf
They're translated Italian and are a little hard to understand (for the electronically inept like myself).

If I read it correctly, I need to cut the pos feed to the injectors and connect (solder) that to the individual QS wires. The extra wire (for 4 cyl bikes) can be just taped up and hidden away neatly. I then also need to find the wire that carries the rev signal to the tacho and splice into that so I can set the base operating limit (eg 4000 RPM). Does anyone know which coloured wire that is?

I know many members are on 675.cc as well, maybe you could ask the question there too. I'm on 675.net but had no success there. I guess most have got the second gen bikes that are all plug'n'play.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Starlane Ionic NRG QuickShifter Install

Post by Kwacky »

I'll ask for you.
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Thanks.
Someone on 675.net reckons the tacho wire is pink with yellow stripe but it would be nice to have that confirmed.
Also have the 'English' translated into comprehensible English would help too!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That lot are are helpful as Stevie Wonder doing a dot to dot

http://www.675.cc/675/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

LOL.

I genuinely just spat out a mouthful of coffee.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Real helpful bunch!!

I'm actually glad I've bought a unit that is not a strain-gauge type as I've seen several fail including a Triumph unit (HM manufactured I believe) and Dynojet.

For those of us in OZ, warranty can be an issue if it's imported and fails, although I bought this unit second hand for only AU$155... well more like stole it at that price.

And yes there are other units that are plug'n'play like the Annitori but I've never seen a unit this cheap, plus it's a strain-gauge.

With regards to the pink-yellow wire, I assume the speedo sensor is on the gearbox somewhere, right?
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

after looking over the wiring diagram, I still have several questions...
Firstly, where is the vehicle speed sensor located? Would I be correct in assuming it's on the gearbox and would pick-up gear position and engine rev's?

Secondly, there are 3 wires from it - black/white (black after plug), pink (pink/yellow after plug) and orange/red (black/yellow after plug). Following the diagram, the black/yellow goes into pin 16 on the instrument cluster, pink/yellow goes into A34 on the ECM.
Would either the pink/yellow to the ECM or black/yellow to the instruments be acceptable to use to pick up the rev's?

For the injectors there are multiple wire colours. Each injector (and secondary air injection) has brown/pink that goes from the injector to the lamba sensor. Then each has an individual wire from the ECM - Injector 1 - yellow/pink (ECM A15), injector 2 - yellow/purple (ECM A14), injector 3 - yellow/black (ECM A13) and the SAI has yellow/orange (ECM B8).

With respect to the injectors, which is the common ECM wire and which is main power supply?
I just assumed that each injector would have a pos and neg side... how naive!!
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

After all that, I reckon it's the older model without the black wire for a base rev's setting.

I still need to work out the main wire that powers all the injectors (as the generic installation diagram shows a single power source to all the injectors) whereas it looks like each injector has an individual wire from the ECM .
And I also need to find which switched power source to tap into as it's a race bike that's had a lot of the road accessories hacked out. I guess it wouldn't draw much power - just enough to power the control module

I've never been good with electrics but I'm stubborn and too poor (and tight) to pay a mechanic!!
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Good work! I had no idea but glad you did :)

Quick shifters are so much fun. Only did one session using mine but down the bsck straight was unreal
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

Good thing about this system is that it's universal so you can swap it between bikes (given sufficient soannering time and patience! !). It's also got no moving parts like the strain gauge style which I have seen snap or fail.

This system should even fit the ol' Daytona 600/650 as well if someone wanted to trick up their old hack.

Got a mate who races in 'brackets' and 650 twins in South Australia. Once he squeezes that last miniscule of time out of his little SV650, then he's looking at a first gen 675 for C20 racing (10 years or older). This system would be perfect.

The Annitori retails at about AU$450, and other stand alone units go up in price from there - like the HM, Cordoma and Bazzaz. Some of them also have a bike specific loom you can purchase on top as well. But all these other options are strain gauge whereas the Starlane is completely different. At AU $550 or cheaper as part of a package deal through Emtek racing, it's pretty good value.

Happy I finally worked it all out. I'm not great with electrics but with lots of time on my hands I got it sorted.
And now if someone else wants to fit a similar unit there's some basic information on 675.net and here through the link.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm impressed. I owuld have chucked mine in the bin a long time ago :D